• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Black Hole™ Disc Golf Baskets: PRO - PRECISION - PRACTICE

will the Black Hole Pro HD be PDGA "standard" rated? or will it be "basic" like the Black Hole Pro, and fabric baskets like skillshot, mach lite, etc?

I have had my Pro a little over a week now and after much practice with it I am extremely happy. I had a Discatcher Sport previously and ended up having to sell it due to a move. I used to get quite a few slide thrus on the Sport. Not so much on this. In fact I dont think I have even had a single one that I can recall. The chains are heavy and true on this thing and catch discs like a beast. Pro side shots stick like glue and Am side shots not so much if hyzering in. I am really impressed with the performance of the Pro. One thing I have noticed is it needs a little tightening here and there after a lot of use. But its no big deal and it doesnt really affect the performance. It is a perfect practice basket. I deliberated between the Pro and the Pro HD but I am very happy with this. I keep it inside since i live in an apartment complex so I dont really have to worry about weathering and rust or theft. But there is a nice field in the complex and my brother and I have made a cool little 9 hole course out of it. Already have a couple aces from about 150+ and it held them like a champ. MVP hit a homerun on this one for $139!!

will the Black Hole Pro HD be PDGA "standard" rated? or will it be "basic" like the Black Hole Pro, and fabric baskets like skillshot, mach lite, etc?

It is a standard rated basket but of much superior quality and function of the fabric baskets.

How? People have used the reg. Pros with no complaints on events from posts here and these are just an improved version. Buy portals if course installed type quality is the concern?

How? People have used the reg. Pros with no complaints on events from posts here and these are just an improved version. Buy portals if course installed type quality is the concern?

They aren't allowed in B tiered PDGA tournaments, like Provincial Championships; so if if you were to buy 18 baskets for a pop up course, you couldn't buy the Black hole Pro or Black Hole Pro HD basket.

Ah i see what you mean. Im surprised they are not compared to some of the others on the list but have no idea what makes one basic/standard/ champ..

I think I'm about to grab one of these Black Hole Pros. Especially after reading through this thread. I'm wondering tho, has anyone had any experience just leaving theirs outside all the time? I can garage or cover if needed, but ideally I'd just leave it in my backyard all the time. It sounds like either way, this is the best basket for the money. Just wondering if I need to be worried about rust and such. Thoughts?

Ive only heard of minor rust which could be stopped and /or fixed fairly easily. Id throw a grill cover/thick contractor plastic bag etc over it atleast to protect from rain. If the coating chips there will be rust from what Ive seen but very minimal considering its not a course rated outside all day/night basket.

I think I'm about to grab one of these Black Hole Pros. Especially after reading through this thread. I'm wondering tho, has anyone had any experience just leaving theirs outside all the time? I can garage or cover if needed, but ideally I'd just leave it in my backyard all the time. It sounds like either way, this is the best basket for the money. Just wondering if I need to be worried about rust and such. Thoughts?

I've had a number outside for over a year now. There is minor rust but nothing terrible and easily manageable if you are less lazy than me. Still hold up well. I loan them out to courses considering putting in a full course.

They aren't allowed in B tiered PDGA tournaments, like Provincial Championships; so if if you were to buy 18 baskets for a pop up course, you couldn't buy the Black hole Pro or Black Hole Pro HD basket.

This does seem a little strange. I ran 6 PDGA c tier events on them last year and they work better as a basket than something like the Mach V. Only complaint I got about them was visibility was poor (I've added reflective bands) and there was one 400' ace spit out, but TBH that could have happened on any basket. I've had people telling me they have had the best putting rounds of their lives on them.

That sounds like perfect news. I can handle a little rust :). I ordered one and it should be here tomorrow! Can't wait. Thanks guys for the insight

This does seem a little strange. I ran 6 PDGA c tier events on them last year and they work better as a basket than something like the Mach V. Only complaint I got about them was visibility was poor (I've added reflective bands) and there was one 400' ace spit out, but TBH that could have happened on any basket. I've had people telling me they have had the best putting rounds of their lives on them.

No doubt they are great baskets and catch well! I have a MVP black Hole Pro myself and when I heard they were upgrading it with an "HD" model, I was hopeful they would modify the dimensions so they would be be upgraded from PDGA "C" tier, to PDGA "B" tier level.

So, perhaps PDGA should modify their standards and allow a variance then if these baskets catch so well?

Ah i see what you mean. Im surprised they are not compared to some of the others on the list but have no idea what makes one basic/standard/ champ..

No doubt they are great baskets and catch well! I have a MVP black Hole Pro myself and when I heard they were upgrading it with an "HD" model, I was hopeful they would modify the dimensions so they would be be upgraded from PDGA "C" tier, to PDGA "B" tier level.

So, perhaps PDGA should modify their standards and allow a variance then if these baskets catch so well?

The "target zone" is too small on the MVP's -- has to be 51cm +/- 3cm -- the MVP's are 46cm. Any others on the approved list that are outside that spec were grandfathered in (pre 2009).

I modified my practice basket to be within the championship basket specs by lengthening the two poles by ~3" each.

Last edited:
I modified my practice basket to be within the championship basket specs by lengthening the two poles by ~3" each.

How did you lengthen them? and do you mean 3 cms each :)

How did you lengthen them? and do you mean 3 cms each :)

The top piece on the clone I have is about 3", it normally screws onto the top to hold the top assembly in place. I just relocated it under the top assembly and had a washer/nut welded inside the top part so I could use a bolt to secure the top assembly -- no more 3" piece sticking out the top. It also raised the chains perfectly so they don't sit on the cage bottom. It's like the chain lengths were made for the extra 3" pole length, but the pole configuration was not.

For the bottom pole, I just got another one of the 3" top pieces and had it welded directly to the bottom pole, effectively raising the cage up ~3" (7cm).

I also slid gray plastic conduit sections over the poles which substantially reduced pole bounces outs, as well as quieting the chain/pole bang noise to a muffle. Added sections of clear tubing as separators to keep the inside chains centered as well.

Edit: the black hole baskets are based on this base (hive) design.

Attachments

• IMG_1181.jpg
    IMG_1181.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_1182.jpg
    IMG_1182.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 56
The pro basket is really nice. Glad i gave my **** costco basket away and had an excuse to buy new basket.

Catches damn well and super easy to set up. Seems a hair short vs course baskets but i actually like that vs allowing high putts when practicing anyway. Feels like putting on normal course chains. The HD must be a damn tank same with portals. Reg pro is plenty heavy enough to be moving around for practice so im very happy.

Anybody own the Pro HD yet? I'm looking to buy one and they seem to be out of stock at most places besides Amazon. Knowledge of any deals to be had on these would be appreciated!

Anybody own the Pro HD yet? I'm looking to buy one and they seem to be out of stock at most places besides Amazon. Knowledge of any deals to be had on these would be appreciated!

It was out of stock for a while but MVP has them available to order now. I assume some sites havent updated yet.

Took the plunge on the HD myself, very happy with purchase. Able to snag one through our DG club as we had an extra one on hand. Quick and easy to set up and take down, no tools required. :thmbup:

Latest posts