• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dome would sink in on soft midranges very quickly.. thats why they dont make them.

Its just like my neutron ion i bought, 2-3 weeks later it was worthless puddle top and doesnt feel right aymore.

no one but recreational players want that junk anyways for obvious reasons.

The dome would sink in on soft midranges very quickly.. thats why they dont make them.

Its just like my neutron ion i bought, 2-3 weeks later it was worthless puddle top and doesnt feel right aymore.

Didn't think about that. I don't have a ton of experience with Soft Proton.

Lot of sweeping generalizations there... :)

I actually prefer puddle-top Ions for their lower glide and longer straight flights. Softs in midranges would definitely be interesting to play with--but in the summer sun, regular Neutron gets pretty floppy as it is.

I really look forward to Proton drivers, personally--especially after seeing how the Eclipse Tanget's been flying.

I have to say I'm very surprised they haven't come out with Proton drivers yet. Maybe they were coming out too domey? Too flat? I assume it's a consistency issue, otherwise they'd have released them by now.

We should be seeing Proton Tensors soon though.

What are these obvious reasons you speak of..

I like my soft ions even as the top begins to sink a little. Love them for putting.

What are these obvious reasons you speak of..

I like my soft ions even as the top begins to sink a little. Love them for putting.

consistency of grip/release has a lot to do with it, but most people overlook small details like that. i also notice more bounce outs if i hit the pole.. but i putt a little harder than most.

i love me some stiff ions

if anyone wants a soft neutron ion thats puddle topped, i would be happy to get rid of it for $7.. lightly used.

or if anyone has a stiff ion they dont want, i would trade.

There is nothing inherent to Soft Proton that makes it more susceptible to having it's dome sink in. My putter(soft) has been in my bag since I received it as a tester when Eclipse Anodes debuted. It is a bit high shouldered/domey for an Anode and still has it's original shape after 1000s of throws and over a year of being shoved in the putter pocket of my bag.

The real culprit here is the flatness/low shoulder of the mold, thin flight plates, and the discs coming out 100% flat across the top. IME, discs that are 100% flat across the top/shoulder have a much higher risk of puddling. I've had many a flat Buzzz go slightly concave after a good bit of use.

I must not be good enough to see the obvious.:confused: Seriously, this is not a line of thinking to espouse for a couple reasons:

1. "Recreational" players are the shareholders of all disc golf companies. All discs must either work for them, or have enough hype/marketing to convince them enough of this at the time of purchase...Disc golf companies cannot produce any sort of successful product if recreational players aren't going to buy it.

2. There are way too many good golfers out there to make any sort of generalization like this. Supposedly Prodigy is being guided by their team members regarding the composition of their discs, and so far all of their mid/driver plastic has been much closer to soft proton than regular. Seems some decent players are interested in some softer/gummier plastics.

"Recreational" players are the shareholders of all disc golf companies. All discs must either work for them, or have enough hype/marketing to convince them enough of this at the time of purchase...Disc golf companies cannot produce any sort of successful product if recreational players aren't going to buy it.

Agreed and that's exactly why i said most people don't understand the small details like disc stiffness that improves your ability to perform consistently.

There's nothing wrong with Rec players that enjoy throwing floppy inconsistent puddle tops, and if that sells discs, then they will probably make more like that and those rec player will stay rec :)

I know multiple 1000+ rated players who consistently perform at a high level and they all prefer stiff putters. there's no debate about it, if you want to putt more consistently you get stiffer plastic.

I should know better than to be critical about anything MVP makes on these forums, i might get shunned :p

I really don't notice much difference in flight with my sunken soft ION vs my others but understand your argument and prefer stiff ones myself. I think how you are making the argument comes off as flawed though as vibram sponsors pro's and I have yet to find a stiff putter of theirs soo those guys just f'd then? Not sure your end all/be all attitude will get a discussion very far vs being critical which is a little different tone than yours above.

Aren't a lot of putters prone to this type of issue as the term as been around long before MVP? I have seen so many different plastic blends get puddle topped can't say its a s.proton issue at all.

Its fine to be critical, after all we were asking you why you said that. I have a couple medium ions (basically stiff in your words) on the way and ill see how i perform with them. I can tell you one thing though, I definitely dont have floppy putts with my soft ions. I like the grip they offer and to me that seems to provide consistency. Maybe one day ill move on to a stiff putter, but for now the soft ions work great. I do like to putt with supersoft wizards as well, not sure on the soft wizards though.. not quite the grip that i prefer.

I am not a 1000 rated player, but I can say with certainty that I am more consistent with soft anodes or stiff kc pro aviars or stiff wizards. Stiff putters slip around for me too much. Most of the time I end up getting them too nose down.

When I switched to soft anodes my putting game improved by leaps and bounds. Before I was sloppy at best. Now I make a lot of putts that I didn't before.

So to make the sweeping generalization that soft putters are inherently inconsistent is not a valid statement.

Make all the negative comments about MVP you want. That's not the issue. Just don't assume you know it all, keep your statements factual and it's all good

I love softs and FLX. They are great for sticking landings, and reducing kicks off the tress on the tightly wooded courses here.

I do agree the softs can bounce out off the pole, but they are great for sticking long putts/approaches without skipping or rolling away as often as stiff. You get a stiff MVP putter rolling and they like to keep going.

Soft mids would deff be nice to try. Soft Tangent sounds very tempting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts