• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have said before that I think the coloring in the overmold makes for more apparent visual damage than the blacks. It is very possible that the coloring agents also soften the blend a bit but neutron plastic as a whole is a little softer than it used to be, so the OM also could be impacted in that way. The 2 plastics need to be the same in order to get the "chemical bond" which the MVP discs have between the core and overmold.

I can say my MVP distance drivers are taking a beating but don't have enough new axiom in the bag to really tell at this point. I've had some serious gashes out of older MVP discs and odd scuffs from hitting things and then also picked them up after smashing a tree and couldn't tell where it even hit'

I know my alias looks fine and nothing about my proton craves are any less durable really I just find its easier to see the damages in the rim b/c its pink.

Last edited:
I got another pretty good scrap on my inertia Saturday. I didn't even notice it till yesterday. I was cleaning all my discs before a tourney(saturday was a mudbowl tourney, lol), and uncovered a road rash looking scuff. I guess it happened when I parked a hole that had some gravel around the basket. This time, it wasnt the overmold that took the beating. It was the rim part of the flight plate. Nothing that a fine grain sand paper wont fix. It still flies great though, even better maybe, lol. I may not even mess with it. I have whacked my resistor and switch on plenty of stuff and haven't noticed any damage to either of them maybe its just the DD's that I am unlucky with...?

Last edited:
Discs get damaged.

All the time.

My FR Volt and FR Amp have big gashes in them.

They fly awesome.

That's all that matters.

^^ I like that my disc are beating up actually. I was not complaining. However, if the durability is less than that of other plastic, is it a crime to say so?

These types of posts are the MVP thread's version of "What is par," or "What do I do with a lost disc."

^^ I like that my disc are beating up actually. I was not complaining. However, if the durability is less than that of other plastic, is it a crime to say so?

I would say no. I would also think that that type of information would be good to know.

Yeah you are definitely not alone and found where Andy also brought this same thing up. I believe others here have mentioned similar stuff and am curious if the coloring agents really do impact durability. I have had many discs in the same plastic from multiple brands but some are "harder" than others just different color really. No crimes being committed lol its a discussion forum for discs!

On the overmold issue: I was having the same problem with my Neutron Envys. They beat up pretty fast, but the flight has not changed much, if it all. Maybe a little less fade..thats a big maybe. Still has that good high speed stability. So I wouldnt worry too much about it on the drivers. Maybe its not a change in blend but more of a side effecr of increased volume of production or something?

But yeah, nothing to worry about flight wise.

Andy-- I would admit I see this in the crave but am wondering if it actually has to do with the coloring and vs being black the apperace is much more rough but actually black MVP overmolds beat up just the same you don't notice it as much-- same with white ones on eclipse or the new tesla..

IMO its more cosmetic like due to stress and the coloration which gives it a beat up look ........ found both OM scratch/scuff as easy even my FR vector but the colored show much more impact and the newer neutron give a rougher look while the older scratches more.

The course I play the most atm is very rocky and wooded. I've been playing only one-disc rounds lately with my Eclipse Tangent and it has taken loots of hits. It's dinged and beat and so on, but I think the flight hasn't changed very much. Not sure if it's just my mind but maybe it's a slight bit more US than a fresh Tangent but nothing significant.

My experience is that the overmold part isn't very durable where as the flight plate is very much like champion durability. But well, let's not forget that the overmold/rim also takes the most damage from a hit normally.

These types of posts are the MVP thread's version of "What is par," or "What do I do with a lost disc."

You are right bisky. In a MVP thread, everything that is said should point to the superiority of MVP. Questions like : "has the overmold change?" does not contribute at all do the discussion.

My opinion is normally that the overmold does better for standard wear & tear than your average premium plastic, but worse when it comes to impacts against very hard or sharp surfaces like roads, rocks, basket rims, etc.

Lately, I'm not so sure. I plowed my Inertia into some jagged basalt with barely a scratch, but my wife put a good sized rash on one of my Craves just by hitting a tree (@ about 200-225 worth of power). :confused:

I think the main thing on the topic of durability - and what Andy got mad at me before for stating, because I felt he wasn't stating it clearly (he probably was, but forums gotta have arguments to survive - it's science) - is that even if the discs seem to be showing more wear and tear, the flights aren't changing dramatically, if at all.

I would venture this: More people are throwing MVP now that there are more drivers. That just means more people are observing the discs than before, and everyone has different definitions of how worn in a disc really is. I think that more eyes on the discs than before simply puts them under a microscope.

Has the plastic changed? No one can state that with certainty. People have been talking about consistency issues with MVP as well, but I don't know that any of that can be substantiated, either. MVP is producing more discs, though, and getting them into more people's hands. More eyes means more voices means more opinions. Take that for what it's worth.

Nice diplomatic answer. I have posted about the overmold's vulnerability to sharp objects in the past. And that was way back with FR Volts. AFAIK, the overmold on Axiom and MVP discs is the same, made out of identical material. Except, of course, for the coloring agents/dyes/polymers/whatever it is they are using. Is it enough to make the colored overmolds less durable than the black ones? I honestly don't know, and I doubt we'll ever officially find out.

My comment was made in reference to in4d's recent conversion from MVP to Legacy fanboy. Even though I currently only bag one MVP mold, I have nothing but love for them:hfive:

lol okay good b/c outside of the envy in that signature I see a consistency lovers nightmare :p

Here it is, straight from MVP:

20. The Axiom Neutron overmold seems to be the same material as MVP's. But Axiom Proton's overmold is called Opaque Neon Neutron. How is this different from the overmold we're accustomed to?

The overmold materials are essentially the same between the MVP and Axiom brands. The only difference is the coloring agents used. Although this sounds like a simple implementation, the logistics in setting up machines for this many color and weight permutations is quite challenging, but we find the end result to be worth the extra effort. So far we are pleased with the amount of color and weight combinations we have attained in our initial runs. We have been able to make dozens of color combinations so far, and expect to have 100+ color combinations in future runs.

still doesn't really address if the coloring agents have any impact on over mold durability.. "essentially" the same to me does not mean identical and am really wondering more and more if even just SOME colors are softer than others too.

"Essentially" is like "allegedly." Neither word carries any weight.

I'm not sure exactly what y'all are trying to figure out here, unless it's purely to uncover a coverup or something otherwise salacious. The production process can change in small ways all the time, and they did a lot of things during the Volt class that were different, and now standard, because it resolved various issues. (literally, "we had problems with XYZ until we hooked up a treatment unit at this specific point in the line") I started seeing changes in the Resistor class that are now normal. The standard now is to blend rims in a way that works for black, glow, and the range of Axiom colors. They're all going through the same machines. From what I understand there are fun challenges and properties unique to some pellet colors, some more than others, which is true of paint and crayons and every other chroma-based product.

I'd be worried if there were reports that say, orange, had slipped thru the cracks and was just total junk. But across the board, they wear differently than blends from yesteryear, without affecting flight? If true someone at the factory needs a pat on the back for that one. My sandblast Ions don't "feel consistent" with Ions off the shelf now, but they're as resolved and consistent as the production standard allows, if that makes sense.

But again, I'm not even sure what's trying to be discovered so I'm just mumbling my opinion into the crowd.

If these discs didn't damage themselves every so often, I'd really be scrambling to justify my "way more than I'll ever need" arsenal of backups to the wife. Even still, when a disc scuffs, scrapes, dings or gashes, it just adds character. It might justify a fresh one in the bag, but doesn't mean the beat one's days are numbered by any means.

Think about it though, how would it benefit ANY disc manufacturer to make an indestructible disc? If they did, they'd be entering into an unsustainable business model. Durability is great. These are plenty durable, but no ones ever claimed they were indestructible.

This question comes up often, Zam. It is, IMO, a non-issue. MVP/Axiom is producing the same quality discs as always. As fans/throwers of the two brands, we can be confident in that knowledge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.