• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always thought the Envy was supposed to be more overstable. Maybe this is what it should have been all along. (Assuming this beaded version has more LSS)

used to bag a bunch of mvp/axiom, but now only bag a plasma volt for dead straight forehands and sometimes a plasma envy. resistor used to be my number one workhorse disc, but was bumped because trilogy plastics are just so much better than neutron/proton

don't understand why mvp/axiom has not made wider use of their best plastic. plasma resistor would immediately go in the bag

and yeah, give the people their overmolded lids. gyrocat and condor pls

If you're talking large diameter bring the Jaguar and the Polecat. Honestly an ultimate class lid would be great. They need a catch disc for warming up anyway.

I wonder if they tweaked the core mold? The entire thing looks a bit deeper. Maybe that is just the angle though. It could be nice to have an even more stable Envy, but I will hate it if this completely replaces the current run. My Envies are my bread and butter.

Yeah. Envy is the last mvp dis in my bag. I haven't been a huge fan of their direction over the last year or so.

This envy is annoying. I really like the micro bead. Might be mvp free in 2017.

Going back to the solid consistency of innova :p

With the bigger bead Envy, could they just be trying to slip a run or two of this out here, to see if they go over, trying to create more difference between the Proxy?

Making the bead bigger is probably the easiest way to add stability, but raising the wing a bit and beveling the bottom on the wing a bit would do the same thing and make a better disc.

Basically a Gyro Harp... Which I now want.

Funny, when the Envy first came out, I thought it was going to be MVP/Axiom's Pig/Harp/Zone. Then I got one and was kind of surprised when it just went straight with a very gentle fade even at low power. It has solid HSS, but I always wanted a truly OS "dumpy" fade out of it, which it doesn't have. Maybe the new ones will actually have that with the bigger bead? I'm guessing fully retooling it with a higher, more concave wing would be expensive and require re-certification and you might as well just make a new mold at that point. However, a little tweak like this might make it a little more LSS without much work. Seems like odd timing to do it now though after everyone's used to the way it flies already.

Seems like odd timing to do it now though after everyone's used to the way it flies already.

Yes. If this is truly an intentional change and not a variation, I would be a little annoyed. I don't mind a bigger bead as I throw Rhynos, Roc3s, Judges, and putt with Wizards. But to just make the change to a disc I and many others already love seems crazy. I personally thing the Envy is the Wolverine (from the comics) of discs. "The best there is at what I do." Although I don't throw the Envy often, I think it would be the hardest disc in my bag to replace. The combination of shape, feel, and flight are unique and I want it to stay that way. If you want to create a variation, à la the Truth and Emac Truth, that is fine, but don't go messing with the perfect disc.

Ranger, what are your thoughts on their direction?

Nobody actually cares. The company seems to be doing very well and making its fans happy.

What I want just wasn't happening, so I sorta drifted away.

What I was hoping for:

Better baseline plastic and firm blend
More putters in electron
OS putter
More plasma (especially drivers)

I really wasn't thrilled with the initial distance driver releases. I'm also a color snob, so axiom discs make me nuts.

I could basically get everything I wanted from innova and gateway right now. I'm sure mvp has done great things this year and will continue to, but they sorta lost me for now.

For the record, I don't think they have changed the envy. Maybe this run of protons has been inconsistent.

For the record, I don't think they have changed the envy. Maybe this run of protons has been inconsistent.

You're probably right. It's always fun to speculate, but it's probably just an inconsistent run. Every manufacturer has them from time to time.

Speaking of new discs, are they releasing anything for September? I think we go too used to the every month thing for the past year or so. They couldn't keep that pace forever.

don't understand why mvp/axiom has not made wider use of their best plastic. plasma resistor would immediately go in the bag

Hahaha I have been saying that for awhile. Then again, I also said that they should make an overmold-less Resistor in straight Proton. Proton is a great plastic, and the Resistor is a great mold. Imagine how much better they both could be hahahaha.

So MVP's infallible consistency might be a bit exaggerated, is what you are saying?

Since expanding, they have definitely lost a step on consistency from what I have seen. Until about a year ago, I never had reason to think an online order would get me anything but the disc I ordered. Now they're closer to Discraft in consistency, still better than everyone else, but flaws happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.