• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part IV)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Update: I'm loving the Vanish. With good snap it can ride on a long mild turnover line that never fades back. And it also powers down great! I've pulled both my Renegade and Hatchet out of the bag for now and am throwing the Vanish for any right-finishing shot longer than a flippy mid. The Vanish is actually really versatile for a variety of understable shots, not just max distance bombs.

Also, I did indeed order those two replacement Waves and they are both nice. The light Neutron one flies much like my lost Plasma, and the heavier Proton gives just enough added HSS to warrant carrying both. Really wish there was a 21.5mm gyro disc between the Wave and Defy though, since the Defy still just does not seem to do the things I want it to do. Not much glide, dumpy fade, and negligible turn. I haven't measured throws with it but frankly I'd be shocked if I can toss it longer than my OS fairways (Felons), which typically fly around 270.

Sad day...my more stable Wave caught a sidewalk that tore up the rim a bit. It dropped the stability by a few notches, so that now my heavy Proton and light Neutron fly almost identically. I'm pretty bummed. I mean, I enjoy that long/straight flight that the Wave provides, but having a slightly beefier one that I could even toss in a mild headwind was was really nice. I feel like I'm on the brink of doing with Waves what lots of other guys do with Destroyers...buy a ton of them so that I've always got that one that flies perfect. :doh:

my proton matrix did not hold its stability either, after about 2 rounds it was turning over too much and hard to control.. thought it was just the one i had.

Hmmm beat up Matrix is starting to sound good, that's probably why they released the deflector. Which one is more stable Alias or Matrix?

Hmmm beat up Matrix is starting to sound good, that's probably why they released the deflector. Which one is more stable Alias or Matrix?

Matrix is faster and way more bite. Alias is basically dead straight. I say Matrix 5/5/-1/2 Alias 4/5/-0.5/0.75 I kinda rated matrix a speed 6, because it seemed to be that much more but its all up for debate

Neutron Matrix are more stable than Proton ones. Check PLH though. I have a couple of Neutron Matrix that are pretty dumpy. Alias is pretty straight with some HSS. I would put the Matrix at -.5 to -1 versus the Alias at -1 to -1.5. The Alias is closer in flight to the Axis than the Matrix. Now that being said, some of the earlier Proton Matrix has a bit more HSS. Still a great disc.

Is there a thread solely for the Matrix? I wasn't able to find it, I searched all over - I got a very FLAT and heavy Neutron Matrix so it definitely was stable. I like it

Is there a thread solely for the Matrix? I wasn't able to find it, I searched all over - I got a very FLAT and heavy Neutron Matrix so it definitely was stable. I like it

If there is one, its probably full of misinformation anyway. When they first announced the Matrix on the Circuit website, it was labeled "The most torque resistant mid by MVP"...

If there is one, its probably full of misinformation anyway. When they first announced the Matrix on the Circuit website, it was labeled "The most torque resistant mid by MVP"...

and it was flippy just like all their other mids

buncha liars at mvp marketing management

and it was flippy just like all their other mids

buncha liars at mvp marketing management

hmm maybe its different now because mine is NOT flippy at all. It has subtle turn but definitely on the more OS side of things. Well I guess it doesn't matter ill just throw it and make my own decisions :sick:

Too ez. But yeah matrix is how you describe. Now how about some TO flight ratings?

After some field work and course testing I would say It is a great mix between a Buzzz, Roc3, Wasp kinda disc all melted into one. Doesn't mean its the best or that it does something the others don't but its a solid midrange that could be anyone's go-to - It was definitely speed sensitive as all discs are but if finessed or underpowered it had a nice heavy fade with a solid skip. the wing has almost a driver type aerodynamic shape to it --so although its a smaller Diameter and a little on the thin side its wing cuts through the air well, when up to power it locks on a line with a mild turn stays for a hot second, then has a medium fade - slight hyzer release piped it basically flies a straight line on a miniscule S shape with small but noticeable fade. Anhyzer holds and pans out, the later fade helps flatten those annys and carry them. A Hyzer will hold nicely then have a sharper fade out. I would rate it 5/5/-1/2 - though with the Gyro-ness of it almost seems like its faster like 6/5/-1/2 (I can argue the glide being a 4 though, so hard to really tell on most discs as Speed and Glide really can be confused by a thrower)

so why not 5.5/4.5/-1/2.10483661795 ;) hows that Aim?

My mid setup is : neutron 175g Deflector, neutron 175g Matrix and proton 178g Alias, Matrix is my go-to disc from those :thmbup: .

I wouldnt call it flippy either, my technique is pretty crappy and I OAT alot but its definitely not easy to turn the Matrix accidentally over

Envy -- this was Axiom's foray into thinner style putters. It was first released in Soft Neutron plastic. It is a stable to OS disc that holds many different angles. Along with the Ion it really is the gem among MVPs putters. For me, it feels like similar to a Judge or Pure, albeit with a very micro-bead. It flies similar to the Shield with a touch less glide but with more forward penetration. The Envy shines off the tee or on full powered upshots. It is a fantastic all around disc. It is also a great putting disc. It does take a bit more getting use to to putt with. With less glide than the Ion class, it really takes a bit more of an aggressive putting style. It you are more of a lofty, arcing putter, you might be frustrated with this disc in the circle. Check out videos of Matt Dollar this last year, especially from the MVP Open at Maple Hill, and you can see this disc in action. It also comes in a full gamut of plastics. I really like Soft Electron, the new Eclipse (a tick more OS than other plastics), and Soft Neutron (holds its stability for a long time).

I finally got a chance to get out and fling my Envies at Winthrop's USDGC course. Despite never having thrown them before, the Envy was instantly familiar and performed admirably. Maybe this was because I am used to Aviar3s, maybe it's because Envys are just awesome. The distance potential and predictability helped me park hole 3 (389' downhill) and clear the triple mando on hole 7 (284'). Its a great putter, thanks again for the recommendation! I love it. I'm going to try out a few other molds when my next MVP Axiom stamp is released... which is only a few days away ;)

Marmoset, the envy is a great disc, especially off the tee. If you haven't tried the Resistor yet and you like overstable fairway drivers then I would recommend one of those also. Its equally as game changing as the envy was for me. Out of the box they are more beefy than i like but after they start to break in and really hold straight lines with reliable fade they can be a staple in the bag. Its a fairway driver you can rip on without worry about it turning over.. similar low glide flight as the Envy so its easy to predict.

Now that i think of it all my favorite MVP discs are overstable molds in neutron. Probably because they last a long time after breaking in.

Last edited:
uphill shot about 250 with a head wind

rhfh plaz volt on hyzer and popped up to flat then faded towards the basket

CLINKKKKKK

the frozen ass chainz caught my little frisbee made a sweet brief clink and clank and clunk and settled nicely in the basket for another ace

thanks plaz volt i love you <3

I finally got a chance to get out and fling my Envies at Winthrop's USDGC course. Despite never having thrown them before, the Envy was instantly familiar and performed admirably. Maybe this was because I am used to Aviar3s, maybe it's because Envys are just awesome. The distance potential and predictability helped me park hole 3 (389' downhill) and clear the triple mando on hole 7 (284'). Its a great putter, thanks again for the recommendation! I love it. I'm going to try out a few other molds when my next MVP Axiom stamp is released... which is only a few days away ;)

Wait, what? Which new stamp is yours?

Wait, what? Which new stamp is yours?
It got pushed back a few days. MVP tried their best to have them all stamped in time for Black Friday but this is an insanely busy time for them. Infinite is slammed, too. Not sure if you saw the quantity of special releases they have for this massive Black Friday sale.

Anywho, Infinite is telling me they will release maybe a week from now? Maybe a little later? Not totally sure. Apparently they liked it enough to put it on a tee shirt. I mean, I liked the stamp... but it always surprises me when other people do too! LOL

It got pushed back a few days. MVP tried their best to have them all stamped in time for Black Friday but this is an insanely busy time for them. Infinite is slammed, too. Not sure if you saw the quantity of special releases they have for this massive Black Friday sale.

Anywho, Infinite is telling me they will release maybe a week from now? Maybe a little later? Not totally sure. Apparently they liked it enough to put it on a tee shirt. I mean, I liked the stamp... but it always surprises me when other people do too! LOL

I don't know how you're surprised. Your Tenacity stamp is one of my favorites. Your series for Element discs was gorgeous too.

And yeah, I know about Infinite. Waiting up right now to try to snag a Midgard serpent stamp at midnight. Hopefully I'll be lucky enough to catch your release too.

Status
Not open for further replies.