• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part V)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Roger that too... I've been working on my FR Volt again I swore I'd bag it next windy course.. Heaviest fission Photon I have is 155.. Might try it.. I have a chance to play it the week before tourney, and 3 weeks to acclimate to "new" drivers ITB.

How important is max weight vs 155 or 165 on those steep downhills?

Have you tried a Mayhem? They are working well for me on that shot when I've gone full gyro.

Have you tried a Mayhem? They are working well for me on that shot when I've gone full gyro.

I had a 165 Plasma in the cart yesterday but swapped for an extra glow Envy... I'm pretty curious about that one, I'm a little short on power for it, it's the most likely replacement for my Nuke.

Ok I've been away for a lil bit - any news? PYRO out soon? Anyone know about that deal? Is it an ALIAS OS? If so I would be interested, but idk, I have plenty of discs already ------ :)

Ok I've been away for a lil bit - any news? PYRO out soon? Anyone know about that deal? Is it an ALIAS OS? If so I would be interested, but idk, I have plenty of discs already ------ :)

Entropy was finally pdga approved and a new Streamline driver 9ish speed called the Flare.

This Friday's releases...

Plasma, SE plasma Motion
Proto Prizm Insanity
Elaine King Sig fizz Photon

This. I have high hopes for the Pyro. Flight numbers are very promising for a workhorse mid.

I will be getting 3 or 4 for science

Dude, you have over 100' of power over us mortals. I won't speak for throwaenvy, but I can't get speed 13 discs up to speed without a headwind for backhands.

I have a 172g proton Mayhem that came out the box flippy. Almost a roler disc. It has a flatter flightplate than the rest of my mvp/axiom drivers.

Catalyst goes effortlessly far as well

Catalyst goes effortlessly far as well

The Catalyst will likely make it in my practice bag too... it's reasonable but I don't know I think mines a 169 lightest I could find... it's decent but kind of untested.. If it was 4g lighter it would get more play or if I played open courses more often.

How's the Catalyst for burning on a steep 45 degree + downhill? (Thrown flat)

I got a tourney in a wide open ball golf course.. I need noodle arm glide downhill.. Long distance some steep elevation.. I got uphill covered. whats consensus for a long turnover that doesn't burn and comes back maybe 350' power. Catalyst? Insanity? Stick with Inertias maybe heavy up 155 to 175g I was burning them last year.

I'd go Insanity. My Catalyst is worked in enough that I have to give it clean hyzer to prevent throwlers on flat ground. It bombs if you don't roll your wrist over but if you do let it turn over it will drift right hard. The Insanities tend to be less touchy.

I'd go Insanity. The Insanities tend to be less touchy.

Less touchy! Really? Hmmm not a good sign for the Catalyst... I kind of got that feeling that it might be touchy especially if I broke it in.. Octane was too big for me but I like the flight potential more. 165 Mayhem would be my next bad impulse purchase.

Great another Disc for the practice bag.. Haha. So I have 175 N Inertias, 167ish Plasma Insanity, 155 N Wave, Fission Photon 155.

Bag guarantees are 143 Fission Photon, 155 N Inertia, Switches, 158 N Crave, 172 FR Volt
Comet, Tangents, Spin, Envy..duh.

Optionals:
On the inventory list: probably Vanish 158 N (SE) for understable (wind pending), Catalyst 169 N, 160ish Resistor fresh, Octane haha, 155 fission Photon, Plasma Axis 179 or FR 176, 165 worn Relay, 175 fresh Relay (kinda heavy for me).

I'm betting on the Wave for that downhill shot that's scaring me.... Any bag suggestions? Thanks :)

As a caveat I've never thrown anything but N Insanities in the 170s. But they've all been in the ballpark of a P-PD where they're sorta like DX Teebird stable to more understable but really easy to manage the turn. The one N Catalyst I've got is very similar to my worn in Opto Ballista. It's US but fairly neutral and speed sensitive. At elevation it might be great for what you want but it's so infrequent that I get to play mountain golf that I'm not sure about it. The Catalyst is just so fast that under thrown they can act a bit more stable than they are.

Ok bag update. I switched from discraft to mvp/axiom this year.

So far the N Octane (172g/173g) is my go-to for distance drivers. Just ordered a eclipse for shots i need more beef. I have N and Pro Mayhems (172g/173g)for understable distance while i break in my Octanes. (N Nitro 167g for science utility OS)

The control driver slot is a toss up still. Have a Fission Photon(171g) for OS control, Pro Trace (174g)for middle stability ,and a N Trace(172g) for flippy. The N Trace will probably stay as a roller. I tried a defy and its not for me. Hopefully i can get Photons broke-in to cover all control driver slots eventually. Love the feel.

Fairway drivers are a toss up as well. My main fairway is a N Shock(174g). Great disc. It is paired with E Volt (173g)and N Volt(173g). Im not sure of the volt yet, kind of slow for my liking. Trying N Insanity (174g)for US slot..not sure of it yet. Its a little flippy for my liking. Ordered a Wrath and Inertia to see how they fit. (Plaz Fireball 164g for utility OS)

Mids.....cant seem to click with any. Have a N Runway 173g, Pro Matrix 175g , and N Matrix 176g for these slots. All those are replaceable (cmon Pyro). Deflector was wayyy to OS.

Putt/approach. I have a glow Envy 173g for windy days and hyzer approach. 10yr Ion 172g and Electron Ion for approach. Firm Electron Ions for putting(169g/173g)

Relay,Catalyst, Tesla didnt fit my game.

Last edited:
I see the Prism Insanity is released tonight. I am so tempted to stay up and buy one on release.

Has anyone got a tester of this run to see how they compare?

So far the N Octane (172g/173g) is my go-to for distance drivers. Just ordered a eclipse for shots i need more beef. I have N and Pro Mayhems (172g/173g)for understable distance while i break in my Octanes. (N Nitro 167g for science utility OS)

The control driver slot is a toss up still. Have a Fission Photon(171g) for OS control, Pro Trace (174g)for middle stability ,and a N Trace(172g) for flippy. The N Trace will probably stay as a roller. I tried a defy and its not for me. Hopefully i can get Photons broke-in to cover all control driver slots eventually. Love the feel.

Fairway drivers are a toss up as well. My main fairway is a N Shock(174g). Great disc. It is paired with E Volt (173g)and N Volt(173g). Im not sure of the volt yet, kind of slow for my liking. Trying N Insanity (174g)for US slot..not sure of it yet. Its a little flippy for my liking. Ordered a Wrath and Inertia to see how they fit. (Plaz Fireball 164g for utility OS)

Mids.....cant seem to click with any. Have a N Runway 173g, Pro Matrix 175g , and N Matrix 176g for these slots. All those are replaceable (cmon Pyro). Deflector was wayyy to OS.

Putt/approach. I have a glow Envy 173g for windy days and hyzer approach. 10yr Ion 172g and Electron Ion for approach. Firm Electron Ions for putting(169g/173g)

good choice on the octane, the more overstable ones are like a slightly faster fr star stamp destroyer for me they are so smooth and carry like the original destroyer did for me. I recommend eclipse if you want to find a more OS octane. I also am using a mayhem till i break in a neutron octane, but i do have a crazy pop top plasma octane that turns and doesn't come back, so thats another good option for an US octane variant but not quite as controllable flip as the mayhem.

as for your control driver, i find the photons to not be OS enough especially in wind and i found a beefy N photon but it had no glide compared to the others.. which is why i dropped them all together and went up to octanes (i was using photons as distance drivers because they bomb), i personally saw too much overlap between speed 11-13. I am liking the speed 9 proton Wrath as a "control" driver though, VERY straight flight with reliable fade, and then also fireballs for the beef slot, thumbers, t-hawks, wind, etc.. I can get the speed 9 discs pretty darn far and just didn't see a photon being necessary between them and the octane distance wise, personally. You might want to go to an open field and see the difference in distance between an octane and a wrath before you stick a photon and invest in between them, just a suggestion.

plas insanity is a good roller

fairway drivers, i consider fairways to be around speed 7, which is why i pick the resistor and servo, and i onyl have a servo in case my beat to death resistor gets lost. I loved my fr volts, but they are just as long as a wrath and frankly they don't handle wind as well but at the same time fill a similar role. Similar to the photon scenario it was way too much overlap. one thing to note is for some reason the servo is very inconsistent, i have a flippy one and one that has a touch of turn and fades reliably, you want to find one with a higher plh. I often use my fairway drivers in place of longer midrange approaches, anytime i need more flex, and anything an envy is too hard to reach with, which isnt very much because the envy honestly crushes.

mids.. this isnt the 80s anymore

putt/approach you seem to have a good setup there, i wouldnt change that and the Envy is basically a midrange, you can rip it hard on any line. Ions are really good for putting, i am experimenting with also using Envys for putting though i may go back to ions.

I feel similar about Relay/Catalyst I wouldn't mind trying a plasma Tesla. I use the Switch.. But I'm crazy.

There was that thing about fission Photons.. The heavier they are the more weight in the rim... try a lighter one.

I support the Inertia as a control and longer distance driver powers down well.

Last edited:
After watching the WACO vids this is what I noticed in Hokom's bag...

Putting firm purple E Ions for her push putt
E Spin for spin putts
2x N Resistor white and yellow I think
N Shock red
P Trace pink
P Vanish pink w/ red rim
N Theory red w/ grey rim
P Insanity orange/orange
N Relay redish(maybe dark orange)
Glow Envy white/white
P Photon blueish
N Photon yellow
N Vector white (Could have been one of the almost see thru Ns)

I checked your bag... what are you doing for BH mid range distance? Is that Theory gliding enough or are you hopping that space with FH fairways and a variety of putters to fill all needs..

Like many MVP throwers, mid-ranges for me are more utility discs as opposed to discs that fit neatly into the distance possible between putters and fairway drivers.

The Theory, for example, I generally only use in situations where I know I can't make the throw with an Anode or Spin, but a Relay is going to go too far. Like wooded tunnels or longer finesse shots.

It doesn't happen as often as you might think. Usually, an Anode or a Relay will work. But when I do need the Theory, I'm absolutely happy to have it with me.

The Deflector is all utility. For my ability, it's too beefy to get any appreciable distance out of it unless I'm flexing it, and even then, something else would probably serve me better. Unless I need to flex a forehand approach, it's a headwind disc or a hard finish disc only.

The Matrix is a bit of an exception this. I will probably throw the Matrix off the tee for distance for shots under 300 feet. I love its profile and the feel of it.

After watching the WACO vids this is what I noticed in Hokom's bag...

Putting firm purple E Ions for her push putt
E Spin for spin putts
2x N Resistor white and yellow I think
N Shock red
P Trace pink
P Vanish pink w/ red rim
N Theory red w/ grey rim
P Insanity orange/orange
N Relay redish(maybe dark orange)
Glow Envy white/white
P Photon blueish
N Photon yellow
N Vector white (Could have been one of the almost see thru Ns)

no volt... :wall: f the shock and trace.

Status
Not open for further replies.