• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I got home and eyeballed the Axis vs Soft Ion. The core looked the same. I stacked them together, bottom to bottom, and only then did I see the slight difference in the cores. I could have sworn I had read that MVP only had one main core (besides the Volt), so I just assumed the overmold was the only thing that gave the Axis, and Vector their width over the putters.

I measured across the tops of both discs with a ribbon tape measure and it seems the difference in the core width is roughly 3.5 millimeters between the Axis, and Ion. (My measurement could be off. I don't have precise instruments)

I'll readily admit that I was wrong. Just by eyeballing the discs, it seemed that the overmolds are what make the difference, not the cores.

You learn something new every day.

I highly doubt that the Volt core will be reusable at large. With the putters and mids, the overmold alone determined the presence of bead, shape of wing, etc. Whereas the overmold on the drivers will only dictate part of the shape of the wing, the presence of a notch, and the bluntedness of the nose, etc. In order to create differently flying discs, more than the last half of the wing needs to be changed.

I'm not positive that the Volt core won't be useable for ANY other mold--just that it will be far more limited for the reasons above. However, we could see "X" and "L" variations on the same mold by modifying the overmold alone...

Yeah that theory can be debunked by just looking at how deep the putters are and how shallow the mids are. If you've ever held an Axis then held one of the putters theres no way you can tell me the cores feel the same. Also the mids don't have as much curvature on the inner rim.

Mike maybe you can answer this question for me. I really want to love the Axis but I can't get the hang of throwing it and always switch back to my Vector. I know it has a little to do with some OAT because I get a second of flutter with it out of the hand but it also seems like I'm putting too much power into it which is silly because of my noodle arm. Is the secret to it really all in the smooth pull and making sure you aren't tweaking it a little anny instead of flat?

Mike maybe you can answer this question for me. I really want to love the Axis but I can't get the hang of throwing it and always switch back to my Vector. I know it has a little to do with some OAT because I get a second of flutter with it out of the hand but it also seems like I'm putting too much power into it which is silly because of my noodle arm. Is the secret to it really all in the smooth pull and making sure you aren't tweaking it a little anny instead of flat?

From my experience with the Axis I would say put more hyzer on it and let it flip up and it will fly straight. It will just about stay on whatever line you put it on so if you are off a bit and it takes off one way or the other for you it will never come back. It does take more technique to throw the Axis but when you hit it right it's awesome.

Oh I agree that when it flies correctly it's great. Same thing with my Vibram Ibex. I think my issue is I'm throwing from a straight position and not bending over with some knee action which would compensate for my slight anny release.

Vector in Nuetron Plastic?!

Yea, the mids in Neutron will be money.

One of the things I like about the Axis is that is has that little touch of fade at the end. It that regard I think it pairs well with a Comet because once the Comet turns, it's not coming back.

Yea, the mids in Neutron will be money.

One of the things I like about the Axis is that is has that little touch of fade at the end. It that regard I think it pairs well with a Comet because once the Comet turns, it's not coming back.

Now see...My Axis doesn't fade AT ALL. It acts more like a comet. I don't know if that's because I have a first run green though.

Yea, the fade is pretty slight, but it's there...at least on mine.

I had a green first run that I threw in the drink. :(

Yea, I was doing some field work with two fresh 173 Axes. I had some OAT on a few throws, and both of the discs even did a very slight S back from the turn. I was actually surprised. Maybe I got a couple that are a bit more overstable?

The issue isn't how hard you're throwing it, the Axis can take a max power throw. If you oat it some I could see it wanting to turn and not come back. Even my first runs abd more worn Axis that have a touch of high speed turn, if I give them a tiny bit of hyzer and a max power throw they just go dead straight. Fresher Axis I rip hard and flat and its straight 95% of the flight then slight fade.

Yeah I was pretty sure it was mostly my OAT because the Axis really likes to flutter if you don't release it clean.

Okay so I am looking at changing putters and am looking at getting an MVP. So I had some questions, do you prefer the Ion or the Anode? Proton, Proton Soft, or Neutron? Right now I use a Vibram Ridge but want something with more glide.

Neutron Anode.. The best putter I have ever used. It was like magic!

Searched and could not find. Will there be an election plastic? I have MVP's 4 discs in proton and just got a neutron Anode. Just curious.

Like the feel, but haven't had a chance to throw the neutron Anode yet. Hopeing it will make the bag.

Electron plastic.. That sounds awesome. That would be cool for a baseline plastic. My Neutron Anode's immediately replaced my Proton Anode's.

When will we see Neutron Axis and Vectors?

I cant believe we don't have the Volt yet... they installed the new hardware weeks ago.

It means Off Axis Torque, which is essentially any force that you are imparting not along the plane of the disc. Imagine rolling a bicycle tire down the street. If you don't push it perfectly straight, it will wobble as it rolls along. This is why sometimes discs wobble in the air. It is a good indicator that some Off Axis Torque is being induced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts