• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
MVP soft putters give me an extra 10-15' of range before I jump putt over standard putters, and then of course give me at least that much extra range on my jumpers.

This is definitely true for me. I switched to a puddle-top soft Ion from Yeti's. I love it, but I've had to change my ranging up quite a bit as I was over-shooting almost everything. Even with the puddle top, they just glide forever.

This is definitely true for me. I switched to a puddle-top soft Ion from Yeti's. I love it, but I've had to change my ranging up quite a bit as I was over-shooting almost everything. Even with the puddle top, they just glide forever.

too true which is why ions and anodes make excellent pitch putter discs.

From the ACE thread!

Got one today! Hole 6 Maple Hill: Reds, 310. Mark in the proshop said not only is the hole in the top two for difficulty for the layout but he's never heard it has been aced before!

3B1E20DC-5739-47A2-9667-4A557ABC6040-20100-00001A4574A69ACD.jpg

I threw my beloved light pink MVP Volt so smooth and so straight. The funny thing is we never heard chains, and I was so satisfied with the pull I could have cared less if it parked, aced, or skipped in the lake because I knew I threw it perfect and couldn't have done better.

Jake had a rough hole and after he threw a couple of throws we finally got within sight of the basket but I still didn't see. He just walked over and gave me a huge high 5 and I thought, hmm "he is handling these shanks well". Then I looked up, saw it, and am still smiling!

Basket is at the bottom of the hill to the left.
B8E04438-2072-48D0-8A48-FDDBC035A3BE-20283-00001A4D3FD808A4.jpg

I have a white 170g Amp that flies more stable than my 175g Volt. BUT I also have a lime 175g Amp that's a nice, loooooong turnover disc. In my experience, white MVP has been screwy--at least in drivers.

Spent a little time out in an open area throwing some discs today, my amp is definitely understable. I must have been completely butchering my throws with it beforehand.

The volts flip up flat and go straight, while my amp with turnover and go right quite a while before coming back.

Soo. I'm hoping for some input from MVP throwers wiser than I. I have a love / hate relationship with my volt. I want it to be a great go to line shaper with a little turn and a little fade but what I usually get is dead straight with a huge lateral fade. More fade than my very domey star teebird. Or if I try a slight hyzer I get a big sweeping line but it ends up very short. I have thrown a few drives with though where it just rides this tight straight line 6 feet off the ground for what seems like forever. I guess I just want to know if there is something different to throwing this disc well?

For reference, I am gonna estimate that I throw between 250-275 average with my River (169g), *Teebird (165) and Volt (171. On a good throw). And I can get my 169 flow a good deal further on most throws. I hear the river is nose angle sensitive so I feel like if it was nose issues I'd be having them with my river too but my river turns on a flat throw and flips up from a hyzer. Also I do use the MVP mids and putters but have only thrown the volt for their drivers. Really I'd just like the volt to be the in between disc for my river and teebird. Thanks.

I guess I just want to know if there is something different to throwing this disc well?

Mike C and Discspeed will be able to break it down for you better than me, but...

The Volt (like all MVP discs) takes a little somethin' to get a good flight. It needs decent spin to fly well--and the gyro has a habit of locking it on lines. At the distances you're throwing, the flight path sounds pretty accurate actually. I throw my Volts 350-375, and get the turn/fade that makes the Volt so awesome. At your power level, a heavy Amp may actually fly closer to what you want.

Got one today!

Nice ace man! Welcome to the Volt ace club :D

@41thirty

At your D you might not see much turn out of them. Like Phenn said an Amp might be more what you want, or if you can find a lighter Volt or a flippy one. You might find this video interesting. Its me and my friend testing out Volts when I first got them...he throws closer to your distance while I was putting them in the circle on 350-400 foot holes.

Vid isnt showing up for me so here is a link in case I messed something up http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_b8lYYw7jPI

Nice ace man! Welcome to the Volt ace club :
Thanks bro! Can say with confidence it won't be the last.

What I can say as someone with about 400 power with volt and some oat issues is that the volt handles oat and powering down very very well. It gives me a lot of confidence.

I throw my volt anywhere from 250 (sometimes depending on the line) to 400. No other disc can handle such a wide range of power. At 250 it is a dead straight, oat proof , bee line. At 400 it is a dependable s turn that loses all it's glide once fade starts which prevents errant drift to the right. It's my favorite disc and its nice to be settled.

The volt is proving to be the most used and versatile driver in my bag. On several holes today I had some great command and placement with the volt. Dead straight, hyzer anny. Was nailing them all.

The new shock I bit is perfect for me just like a fresh qolf. Not too over stable at all. Just what the doctor ordered.

Tangent will take me a bit. Seems like a longer anode. I did hit chains on a 230 soft right anny line today that was encouraging! Tomorrow ill go out with just the tangent and an ion and put it through its paces. I was thinking the axis may be in trouble, but I think the axis is better at dead nuts no turn no fade ripped into similar to the buzzz for me.

Amp is growing in me too. More wiggle than the volt less fade for me so far, but it will come back which I like a lot.

Same, I use it in a similar range and its quickly become my go to driver. I had a beat up 1.1 QOLF I used longer than any other disc since I started playing that flew similar lines, but Volts are about 1000x more replaceable than a discontinued run of a disc I have to order online that took 2 years to beat in to where it was.

My ace with mine was on #13 at my home course. Only 250 feet but its a tight line in between pines with low hanging branches, and a hill to boot, meaning to hit the line I did you are working with only a few feet of vertical clearance. The clump of pines to the right of the big tree in the middle is where the basket is. 10mph left to right wind, snapped it low, flat and hard, went dead straight for 200 or so, then when I thought it was too late it flipped up and got pushed some by the wind and hit the top right corner of the chains. First ace I know of on this hole too.

6b9681b2.jpg

7f6861aa.jpg

Whos gonna be next?

Last edited:
I love the tangent so much. It's exactly like my beat roc, tickled chains on hole 8 lakeside lamirada. It really like how when it hyzer flips it's very methodical in getting flat and then hyzering out if given height or landing flat if thrown lower. It won't kick out the roc because its a tick faster and does better on lower lines but I'm glad to know I have a replacement when/if I lose that disc or it gets too flippy.

I am getting great use out of my tangents also, never had a disc like them before, i always thought all i needed was over-stable mids, but a good neutral to slightly under-stable disc like the tangent is extremely useful. I finally got enough practice with them to be able to throw them dead straight on command yesterday and im taking 2-3 strokes off my rounds EASY with this thing.. i only use it on about 5 holes, but its a necessity to have that disc on them now.. not sure how i got by without discs like these. Not to mention you can put it in a slight anny and it just HOLDS ALL the way from release to the ground with no fade and no turn and burn.. just an AMAZING disc, it has taken place of my beat axis thats for sure.. it cant replace my fresh axis though, theres much less overlap there.
I find the tangent to be easy as pie to control on straight to anny lines.

Shock (new run), this thing is too stable for most lines at my local course so i haven't had the chance to use it much. Look forward to trying it out on 400'+ holes.

Volt, like others is flying VERY straight for me on 250-300 holes, i like the control and ability to hit gaps with this disc. Great when powered down, but also fun to throw on huge S curves, this disc bombs farther than you think it would, very sneaky.. i can throw it almost as far as my distance drivers, makes me wonder why i even keep them in the bag.

MVP is about due for another announcement on their next disc if they stick to their past frequency. I am praying for a slightly over-stable Distance Driver.. PLEASE, i would love to have an MVP Distance Driver to start the season off with before i get set on my tournament bag for the year.

Hurry MVP, your running out of time to squeak out a GYRO Distance Driver!

Last edited:
Hit the right side of the chains today in a 210 hole slight right with the ion. I knew it had a chance to hit but the angle and the heat it had no chance to stick. Felt great though, the soft eclipse ion is the one disc I will always have on me. I'm gonna get an ion ace tomorrow for you guys to end the who is next:)

I have been hitting REAL close to the basket, within inches of metal about 3 times yesterday with the Vector. Its very accurate on hyzer lines for me, i use it for hyzer placement.

The axis went from my favorite disc to a disc lost somewhere between my vectors and tangents. huehuehue, it will be a cold day in hell if i ever let go of my axis though.

Ori

You hit a Volt ace, I gotta get on acing with an Ion. Came close the other day...feelin it....

Jake will get one with the tangent soon too I know. He rips it OAT free on such pure lines out past 300 easy which mnjauight sound short on the Internet but in real life is always sick. I laugh when I throw volt every throw and he throws a putter/midrange hybrid ( tangent)! I don't give an F though cause I spell disc golf with pragmatism and besides, I of course have plenty of work to so

I have been hitting REAL close to the basket, within inches of metal about 3 times yesterday with the Vector. Its very accurate on hyzer lines for me, i use it for hyzer placement.

The axis went from my favorite disc to a disc lost somewhere between my vectors and tangents. huehuehue, it will be a cold day in hell if i ever let go of my axis though.

Two of my three aces have been with MVP--one 270' hole with my Vector and one crazy tunnel-shot-to-steeeeeep-drop-off about 210' with my Axis. Last week I was getting ridiculously close with my Vectors again, and the Tangent keeps floating right by the chains.

One of the reasons I went to an all-MVP bag was simply because I just don't like the idea of acing with a non-MVP disc.

I, too, look forward to a distance driver now that I'm finally reaching the distances that merit it. :thmbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.