• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP fans - What high speed discs are in your bag?

bfowler

Double Eagle Member
I love MVP's discs and if you don't that's fine. But if your bag is full of MVP stuff like mine is, what do you throw for your high speed stuff.

Until MVP comes out with some distance drivers they're forced me to try other stuff. I've found a few discs that I love and MVP is going to have to work to get them out of my bag.

For the higher speeds my favorite is the Innova Tern. It's very easy to throw and I can get a lot of distance with them. I've got a GStar 175 and a 170 Gummy Champion Icebowl. The Gstar might be the straightest longest disc out of the box I've ever throw. I plan to beat it into my understand long range workhouse. The gummy champ is similar but just a degree or two more overstable. I'm planning on getting a regular 165 Champion Tern for long tight "S" curves. My buddy has one I've used and I've thrown some bombs with it. That will be my next disc.

My other favorite high speed driver is a Blizzard Boss I found with no name on it. It's very overstable. I crank that one on a hard anny and it'll always come back. I've had my max distance with that one. Thrown flat it's got a tiny bit of turn, a big forward fade, and a huge skip.

I've also got a Star Wraith in there that is a laser with a good hard left fade at the end. I've got more control with the Wraith on tighter fairways whereas the Boss works better on more open holes.

So, if you carry a lot of MVP, what are you using for your high speed stuff? For sake of argument let's say anything above 10 is high speed.

these are always in rotation.. my favorites would be flat bosses/forces/nuke, flicks, cannon/rampage, and always love for a destroyer depending on how it was molded....lol

I have thrown tons of them too.. Most recently-- Prometheus was dropped, halo is gone, havocs are out, said goodbye to flows/swords, cya tresspass, terns didn't feel right, d series are iiiiiiight, no thanks to the rubber laces, and the story goes on.

Last edited:
Right here in my sig. My bag isn't full, but they have the best workhorse mid lineup, imo.

Right here in the sig, I throw pd and pd2. I specifically picked a ppd2 with a low plh to get me started and not have to wait before I can season one. Lots of turn and fade. I bag a regular ppd2 that I will season in. For now it's great for any long distance shot that needs to end left and a good wind fighter. Hopefully my super pop top spd2 will break in to be a bomber. The endgame is this: cpd2 for huge wind, roller duty, flex shots, shots that need to go left or right a looooong way. Fresh ppd2 as main stable/os distance driver. Seasoned spd2 for bombs and versatility. Beat ppd2 for rollers and shots that don't come back. We will see, I will probably only need three.

I just made my first foray into distance drivers in the last month or so. After trying out a few molds, I've settled on the Lace as my main dd. It's got a great balance of consistency, shapeability, and glide; it responds well to a variety of kinds of throws, and is very versatile.

That said, I'm not sure if it'd suit a huge MVP fan's game. It's a bit of a blunter object in terms of responsiveness, if that makes sense: I don't think it has the type of dialed in control that the most ardent MVP fans crave. Not to say it isn't a great disc - I love it - but I don't think it has what MVP fans are hoping to get out of a distance driver. But, the versatility might provide some of that.

that's a good review of the lace.. its kind of why it didn't click with me but IS a great distance driver specially the lighter weights and unlace-- for those who really want "easy" distance and durability/grip is unmatched.

I'm throwing the destroyer for that spot currently. I have it in everything but DX. Right now I'm bagging a semi beat champ 170 and a much more beat 168 pro. They are the only discs I am currently touching 410' with.

that's a good review of the lace.. its kind of why it didn't click with me but IS a great distance driver specially the lighter weights and unlace-- for those who really want "easy" distance and durability/grip is unmatched.

Much obliged.

I've gotten a similar sense from the other two Vibram molds I've good experience with, the Trak and the VP: both seem very reliable and consistent, I just feel as though the mold wants to do its thing given a specific kind of throw that can negate my own efforts to bend it to my will. I know that's a little abstract; it's a distinctive sense I get when throwing Vibram that I have trouble putting into words. It's like, MVP's are sports cars that I can feel respond to my every inflection, whereas Vibram is a luxury car that makes for a smooth ride that can occasionally lull me a bit, cutting me off from what's actually happening while the machine does the dirty work. An imperfect metaphor, but it's something.

One thing I'm loving about the Lace is how it varies between weights and rubbers. I have a 161 Medium that's too flippy to use, a few 171ish ones that are reliably stable and great when there's wind, and just picked up a 166 Medium that is the exact happy medium (pun!) between those two poles I was hoping it'd be: easy to turn, but with just enough fade at the end to pull out of the line and form wonderful S curves. Yesterday was my first day out with it, and I hit some gorgeous shots with it.

I've also got a 171 Firm that took a dog bite and became reliably understable. It's my furthest disc, though I have a hard time always trusting it. The 166 Medium will probably replace it, but for now it remains on hand.

Honestly the courses around here are short enough that i don't need anything faster than the speed 9 drivers mvp has.

The Lace when i tried it flipped over like a monarch, i was like wtf.. it was probably a bad one though, i heard they had some consistency issues.

Oops forgot to add what i use when i travel to longer courses, Definitely the Scorpius and Tern Combo, Scorpius are like a more stable destroyer that handles the over-stable and terns handle the straight to flippy.

Honestly the courses around here are short enough that i don't need anything faster than the speed 9 drivers mvp has.

The Lace when i tried it flipped over like a monarch, i was like wtf.. it was probably a bad one though, i heard they had some consistency issues.

On the bolded: for some reason, the Lace was initially effected by the plastic blend. Probably due to the huge rim. The firms were fliptastic, while the mediums were fairly neutral. the oLace and unLace, I believe, were created due to some people liking the flippy Laces and some wanted a beefier Lace. If there's a Birdie Bash in your area, I would recommend hitting it up...I think you'll be impressed with their Lace family now.

Please excuse my derailment...I'll get back on point.

I wouldn't say my bag is FULL of MVP, really far from it, but I do bag the Volt, Tensor and now (for the time being at least) the Axiom Envy. I like all the MVP discs, but those are the only ones I really LOVE, if that makes sense. Most courses here in Korea are on the short side, so my Volt has put in a lot of time the last nine months.

But for mega distance lines with room to work, I use a variety of Terns. Good glide, great feel in my small hands and fast but not stupid fast. I carry a Gummy Champ, a first run Champ, a Climo Tour Series and a Star for ultra-flippy goodness. For big D (PHRASING) into a headwind, I go with an oLace.

But you know what has been a real potent combo for me? Firebird, OLF, Volt. They cover pretty much any kind of distance line I want out to about 375 (which I know isn't impressive for these forums). Granted the Firebird and OLF are a speed higher than the Volt, but for me and my poor degree of skill, they go about the same.

I don't know how sponsored guys do it...I could never throw only one brand of discs. Good thing I'll never have to worry about it!:wall:

All my slower discs are MVP except a Crosslap Credo.

For distance I carry 4 Millennium Quasars ranging from OS new with high PLH, to a few years old and beat to very flippy.

I usually consider using them around 400', sometimes a little less depending on conditions. Sometimes I'll use my Volts out to 440' or so, just depends on the wind, elevation etc. Assuming a flat hole with no wind, I'd probably throw the Volt up to 425' and the Quasars past that.

They also work well for my max d forehands. I like using the third most seasoned and throwing it hard with a touch of hyzer. Tends to sit up flat, track left a bit for most the flight, then consistently fade back in.

------

Pretty sure OLF's and Volts are the exact same rim width. I haven't bagged OLF's since Volts came out but they have always been one of my favorite molds. I carried a FR 1.1 QOLF for nearly 3 years, it was my work horse driver and at times max D driver as well. Current Volts compare well with beefy 1.2 QOLFs, and FR Volts remind me more of a 1.1 QOLF. Them being so similar is one reason I transitioned into Volts so well.

Last edited:
Have been experimenting with Millennium Astras, a DD Renegade, Prodigy D4 and a Lat 64 Bolt as of late. The 13 speeds are a little too much for me, but I can get the 168g Lucid Renegade and 173g Astra out further in windy conditions where my Amp would turn too much.

That's only for wide open drives though. In woods I really like the control of a Volt and for shorter holes, the Servo has been a great add. Once MVP does come out with a distance driver, I suspect it will be too high speed and overstable for me personally to get much use out of, which is why I really liked seeing them announce the Switch and are starting on the lower speed discs in the Axiom line as well. These I can use!

:eek: For me the Volt WOULD be my high speed driver, but I didn't get enough extra distance out of it over a Teebird to bother carrying it last year. I seem to have had a bit of a distance breakthrough due to a small technique change during the couple rounds I've played this winter, so maybe the Volt will be back in my bag this spring.

For now I use a Valkyrie on wide open bomber holes, and otherwise use Teebirds off the tee almost all the time.

Sitting around waiting for my arm to improve are: TP Sword, Champ FR Tern and my Volt, Amp, and Shock.

All my slower discs are MVP except a Crosslap Credo.

------

Pretty sure OLF's and Volts are the exact same rim width. I haven't bagged OLF's since Volts came out but they have always been one of my favorite molds. I carried a FR 1.1 QOLF for nearly 3 years, it was my work horse driver and at times max D driver as well. Current Volts compare well with beefy 1.2 QOLFs, and FR Volts remind me more of a 1.1 QOLF. Them being so similar is one reason I transitioned into Volts so well.

The OLF and the Firebird have the same rim, so having the Volt-class drivers also be of that speed makes sense. Like I said, OLFs and Volts go about the same distance for me. I could just quit guessing and measure, but I'm lazy and someone else will do it eventually anyway, LOL

OLF/PD/FB are all 1.9, Volt is 2.0 - near impossible to tell the difference just by feel.

:rolleyes:

Trying out a Stiletto, World, and Cannon setup for the higher speed stuff. Other than those and my Wizards everything else in my bag is MVP/Axiom

Latest posts