• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP - Fission™ Microbubble Technology

. . . If anything, it's that mid 160s to high150s space that needs more play from all brands, and fission fills that void.
. .

^^^^^ This. A million times this. I have never understood why so many disc companies skip this weight range. Huge kudos to MVP for applying their resources and expertise to filling this void.

Some people complain that low-mid 160s discs are flippy, can't take a headwind, etc. etc. I will let those folks in on a secret - the disc is not the problem. :p

What do you guys think of this new plastic. I'm not a huge fan of it, haven't tossed it a ton but I have been enjoying the Plasma Volt so much more.

What do you guys think of this new plastic. I'm not a huge fan of it, haven't tossed it a ton but I have been enjoying the Plasma Volt so much more.

overall I like plasma better but I've had some really nice throws with the fission

both in the bag for now

Been using the Fission Volt as my only driver this past week and its been great. I like the plastic and the flights I'm getting with it. Looking forward to the Shock and Amp in Fission.

Usually my hands aren't overly dry and the grip is not much different from regular N when throwing. One or two days where my hands had gotten a bit dry from having them in soapy water too much the Fission felt significantly less grippy near the rim where the bubbles live when running my fingers along it. Wasn't a huge deal when actually throwing. Slight Tangent, but my wife has dry hand issues much more than I do when playing and she just got a Gorilla Gold tacky towel thing off Amazon. Thing is awesome for enhancing grip as long as you don't over-do it.

this is where GYRO is realllllllllllllly going to put itself as a standout disc golf technology. Fission volts were obvious but have the smallest overmolds of any MVP compared to the cores. 500' HERE I COME!!! :p

MVP Fission Photon
Weights: 135g - 164g

Introducing the Fission Photon, in stores May 22nd.

The Photon is best described as a longer Tesla, with power throwers able to achieve some flight extending turn, and all throwers getting a reliable fade. The Photon is naturally headwind resistant but average power throwers can use a headwind to emulate those extended flights of high power throwers.

The high speed of the Photon coupled with the unique properties of Fission make this release a breakthrough in disc golf drivers. Early tester reports indicate that Fission Photons feel like throwing a disc about 20g heavier, but with the enhanced glide of their actual light weight. Fission Photons will be available all the way down to 135g. The Fission Volt has proven that Fission produces a longer-flying and easier-throwing disc with all the inherent stability of a heavyweight disc, and we expect this release to be a huge hit.

Fission™ Microbubble Technology produces an ultralight core with evenly distributed and imperceptible weight reduction microbubbles. The ultralight core allows an even higher GYRO™ overmold density relative to the core, yet still remaining in the lighter weight classes -- 135g to 164g in the Photon.

This produces an entirely new type of lightweight disc never before seen in the sport, and beyond the capability of any other manufacturer. Weight distribution, stability, and durability of prior "bubble" discs are all improved upon by Fission. Skeptics of prior lightweight or bubble plastics are in for a surprise, as Fission brings advanced disc physics and true high-tech molding into the lightweight plastics arena.

When they say longer-flying and easier-throwing, do they mean players who don't throw higher speed discs, will be able to better throw these with the intended flights?

Skeptics of prior lightweight or bubble plastics are in for a surprise, as Fission brings advanced disc physics and true high-tech molding into the lightweight plastics arena.

This is the line that jumps out to me, as I'm one such skeptic (hence my comments in the driver thread). Up to this morning's discussion that skepticism was overriding my abundant love for MVP/Axiom. But at this point I'm going to throw my hat in the ring upon release date and see how they fly. Will definitely report back.

I love the new Blizzard technology discs! I recently went to New Mexico and thoroughly tested them side by side with other discs at various elevations and wind speeds. The new Blizzard discs came out on top. My best throws were with a 150g Blizzard Champion Boss (828ft)* and a 150g Blizzard Champion Katana (813ft).

From what I've observed, the Blizzard discs fly with almost the same stability as the equivalent model 20 grams heavier. They feel and throw like heavier discs than they actually are. This allows for much longer throws, especially in the right conditions.

I've tested the new Blizzard discs in weights ranging from 130g to 155g and can honestly say that these are going to add distance to many disc golfers' games. From the average player to the experienced pro, everyone can benefit from Blizzard Champion Discs.

-David Wiggins Jr.

You do realize those blizzard discs only had bubbles in the flight plate, right? It's also why Simon said those are what you need to throw record D drives with no the ones that have bubbles in the rims. He used avary's FR blizzards to set the record.

Its true, too bad innova F'd with it like they do most of their good stuff lol.

When they say longer-flying and easier-throwing, do they mean players who don't throw higher speed discs, will be able to better throw these with the intended flights?

from my experience with the volt, yes-- and when powered up the discs do not get exponentially more understable like most lighter weight discs I've thrown, specially down into the 140's and below.

That's the case with ANY lighter weight vs heavy weight mold-- weight can be a factor which causes increased speed stability of a faster mold so lowering the weight allows for the disc to get up to speed "easier". Fission coupled with the GYRO tech just also gives a flight which is true to the design. I am EXTREMELY excited for this disc.

You do realize those blizzard discs only had bubbles in the flight plate, right? It's also why Simon said those are what you need to throw record D drives with no the ones that have bubbles in the rims. He used avary's FR blizzards to set the record.

Its true, too bad innova F'd with it like they do most of their good stuff lol.

Dunipace said bubbles in the rim was the goal all along. Doesn't matter much to me, I don't throw any that stuff.

from my experience with the volt, yes-- and when powered up the discs do not get exponentially more understable like most lighter weight discs I've thrown, specially down into the 140's and below.

That's the case with ANY lighter weight vs heavy weight mold-- weight can be a factor which causes increased speed stability of a faster mold so lowering the weight allows for the disc to get up to speed "easier". Fission coupled with the GYRO tech just also gives a flight which is true to the design. I am EXTREMELY excited for this disc.

Well when you put it like that, I'll be making purchases! I haven't thrown any of the new MVP molds/plastics. Once I try out the new plastic for the Volt (I know Im going to be bagging an amp again), and some of the new molds, I might quite honestly put together an MVP only bag for some casual rounds, instead of a Lat64/Westside only bag. By doing this, it can only lead to one thing. Buying another bag so I can put together that Lat/WS setup :D

Well when you put it like that, I'll be making purchases! I haven't thrown any of the new MVP molds/plastics. Once I try out the new plastic for the Volt (I know Im going to be bagging an amp again), and some of the new molds, I might quite honestly put together an MVP only bag for some casual rounds, instead of a Lat64/Westside only bag. By doing this, it can only lead to one thing. Buying another bag so I can put together that Lat/WS setup :D

Ill sell you the new releases, AND A BAG :D :hfive::p

Definitely suggest checking out some plasma and fission. You don't even know it is "bubble/air" plastic really.

It's easy to buy into the hype that MVP and their fanbase generate. I'd caution foks new to MVP to just dip their toes in with one disc, the Fission Volt in particular, and see what it does for you. It may be fantastic or it might just be okay. For me, it was just okay.

Latest posts