• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

Does anybody know if it is somewhat uncommon to find a 177g Ion? Because my Neutron Ion is 177g and I am looking to get another one but it seems that the most they go to is 175g :confused:.

I am willing to get a Proton Ion as a backup, but I was really hoping to find another heavy disc. Did I just get a freak Ion? I even weighed it a couple days ago and it still registered at 177g even though it has some decent dings.

@ 2.7g overweight, it looks like you got a freak.

I have a 176g N. Anode. I have seen heavier Ions and Anodes but ya gotta hunt for em. Look for stores that weigh their discs. Some weigh more than the factory listed weight.

Does anybody know if it is somewhat uncommon to find a 177g Ion? Because my Neutron Ion is 177g and I am looking to get another one but it seems that the most they go to is 175g :confused:.

I am willing to get a Proton Ion as a backup, but I was really hoping to find another heavy disc. Did I just get a freak Ion? I even weighed it a couple days ago and it still registered at 177g even though it has some decent dings.
http://www.marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/product/ST-41125/Neutron-Ion/ -they have 2 orange 177g for sale

Never saw this thread before. The first few pages are pretty interesting, and give a little bit of MVP history.

@ 2.7g overweight, it looks like you got a freak.

Kind-of... I actually own 3 and have had 1 other one.

While more often than not the weights are pretty close I do find where the stickered weight should have been rounded up or is off even by 2g but is most common with max weights IMO. (tangents too)

Its not a super rare weight IMO but might be in the future given I have mentioned this more than once to Brad and they generally hash out the issues sooner than later.

FWIW all of mine also are from the soft Neutron run except one proton.

:thmbup: Nice! Thanks for the tip, I might end up getting one of those. Although I was hoping to find another pink 177g, my local stores don't have any. I really want to get another putter for putting practice.

I was debating for a while if I was set with the Ion, but it putts well and there's no sense trying a bunch of other putters when I have already found a quality disc.

Chomping those chains!

In the store these looked metallic but zooming the photo shows these small flakes. Its crazy how this run of "sparkle" literally shimmers and doesn't have flakes like this picture shows. Some of the coolest Ions I have seen yet but green! :gross:

2014_10_02_14_57_21_716_1.jpg

new MVP page re: history of the ION

http://www.mvpdiscsports.com/history-of-the-ion

To commemorate the Ion's fifth anniversary we're offering the current stock Neutron Ion with a throwback Proton Ion stamp, recreating the look of our old opaque Proton Ions (before the stamp included any plastic name). This is accompanied by an Ion History Page on our site, including a visual indicator to separate "4th generation" Ions from the Throwback Edition. Ion nerds unite!

Love learning about the history of this wonderful disc. Thanks for linking that, Aim!

2nd generation was the best. Especially the ones where the OM was too low.

did some practice putting in the 10* temps for minute while I was loading the truck up in the garage. Ions don't chain out or get slippery even when frozen. Weird.

So I have a ton of Ions but the new throwback stamps have like a 1/2 MM bigger bead on them and expect the 5 I have in pink/yellow to be nice and OS. Compared to some of the old 2011 opaque protons through custom stamps and more recent stock stuff the bead/PLH is a little different... If you want a nice OS ion though I would say hunt down one of these throwback stamps!

PS- the plastic seems nice and hard too like OG neutron.

2nd generation was the best. Especially the ones where the OM was too low.

These would be the anti-BroD ions.

Since those throwbacks are the newest run, do you think that all Ions have been tweeked?

Are all 5 of your throwbacks identical?

Maybe the mold is newer or something no sure at all but I would hope so it even feels a little better IMO.

All the ones i have now are the same and didn't check those which i sold but were same colors so would assume they were too-- most of the other Ions are just slightly smaller bead and only a ion dork like me may notice but like these!!

Ill try to get a picture but not sure the difference is even big enough to show up.

Latest posts