• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Ion?

I've got some

Not for sale, I suppose.

wellllll then buy a neutron ion.

I want a Proton Opaque Ion.. Should have been more specific. I have a stormtrooper Ion in neutron plastic which is a beauty. I'm thinking about getting a Stormtrooper Anode also but first on the list is an opaque Ion.

Seriously.... no ION love in here for a year?!

have a feeling baseline ions bring back many old fans in the near future.

Seriously.... no ION love in here for a year?!

have a feeling baseline ions bring back many old fans in the near future.

I honestly can't recall why I used to live Ions so much, but they sure are popular. It seemed like, for awhile, Anodes were all the rage but now, at least around here, those who used to putt with Anodes have either switched or gone back to Ions.

I wonder what the best - selling MVP disc is? Even with all the new releases the Ion has to be up there...

What are you putting with now? being people buy multiple putters I imagine ION is up there. Kinda like the wizard/challenger/aviar's of the world holding high spots in the overall disc sales market.

Volts has always been a big hit too but the ION for me is a disc which does a lot of stuff very well at most any DG distance. Its not the easiest disc to dial in like a pure/envy but I find it much more workable.

Big Bead Aviars. I switch 'em up a lot but right now I have a DX and a JK in the bag.

Volt. Such a great disc. I bet the Ion sells about the same or more though. I see a lot more newer or less serious players with Ions than I do with Volts.

Maybe I'm talking out my @$$, and maybe it's just my area as well as in Korea but I don't see too many MVP drivers on the courses here but I see a lot of Ions and some anodes. Saw an Envy the other day, too. But mostly people are going for the Ion.

I see more ions than anything else.

MVP is really small in this area. I'm not really sure why.

I've been throwing the Ion for about 3 years or so. I've hit so much metal with them--every part of the basket but in. I've got ~225' field ace on a 540' hole that's a very difficult two (I call that an eagle, nobody deuces that hole). No aces though.

That is, until yesterday! Finally got my Ion ace, and in a league round no less.

I've always putted with Ions; you should see the sweetness that is the worked in black N Ion I pulled out of the box the day Neutron was released. I used to throw an Anode for drives too, but when my P Ion beat into some good understability, I dropped it and roll with a newer Ion and my old one. Three Ions in the bag. If I lost that old P Ion, I would shed a tear.

I stuck with the Ion, and I am now reaping the sweet sweet rewards with a lineup of discs that handle every putter shot possible. A beat Ion is a beautiful thing. Of course, I did get my ace with the newer one...

Totally agree

I can't even leave the ion anymore. I tried a few diff putters this year and they come out if my hand awful. I'm only made for ions now

I've been putting/driving with ions for over two years now. I highly doubt I'll ever switch from the ion for putting duties. I've got too much time invested and love for the mold to even try out a new putting putter.

Just wanted clarification/confirmation from what I've read and searched:
- There's very little difference (if any) with the flight in regards to a proton ion vs. neutron ion (current productions)? The main difference is in feel and durability?

I got an Ion for a driving putter a few months ago. Now it is my putting putter. A friend of mine liked it so he bought two of them, soft and soft eclipse. I don't know how they were shipped but I think they were handled roughly. The eclipse one has an indented flight plate, that is more pronounced in the area where the circular part of the stamp is. Is this normal?
Between by worn in soft, the new soft, an the eclipse, the eclipse is the straightest one on putts. The weights are all 170-173. The eclipse putts so well I am thinking about getting another one. But I am not a fan of "unicorn" discs that are hard to replace.

ions/anodes will "puddle top" with time just like you mention. They all basically get indented slightly and that's when they start flying the best :D

Nothing to worry about-- even warped ions/anodes will shape back up.

I love my puddle top Ions. I have a beat Ion that's there, my putting putter is getting there, and my newer (still a year old) Ion is starting to develop some puddle top too. They all feel and fly beautifully.

i have also received a soft twilight eclipse ion that was puddle topped by the circular part of the stamp.
i have a feeling its an older production, and all the ones on the shelf these days seem flat.

ions/anodes will "puddle top" with time just like you mention. They all basically get indented slightly and that's when they start flying the best :D

Nothing to worry about-- even warped ions/anodes will shape back up.

I used to putt with soft Focuses (Foci?), they start of indented slightly, and I like it, but they give out fairly quickly and the puddle gets too deep. Or the rim starts to get floppy, when probably won't be the case with MVP. No sign of a puddle yet on my current ion.
OK fine, I'll go get 2 more of them.
When you flick a penny, holding it up near your ear, and get a nice rip on it, it makes that whirring sound. The Ion is the first disc I even heard make that sound, and when it happens that disc flies like an arrow.

Does anybody know if it is somewhat uncommon to find a 177g Ion? Because my Neutron Ion is 177g and I am looking to get another one but it seems that the most they go to is 175g :confused:.

I am willing to get a Proton Ion as a backup, but I was really hoping to find another heavy disc. Did I just get a freak Ion? I even weighed it a couple days ago and it still registered at 177g even though it has some decent dings.

Soft Eclipse putters seem to come pre-indented from the stamp. Unfortunately, that means the depression is slightly offset due to where the "eclipse" is, but it's a fairly predictable way to get a puddle top.

I prefer the flat tops myself and find at least some variance in flight between the two. On some of my Ions, the feel (profile) and flight difference is as pronounced as a KCP Aviar vs a Yeti. So not a huge difference, but noticeable.

Pretty sure my Ions are getting supplanted by Daggers so the point may be moot. At least until MVP starts making baseline plastic :thmbup: