• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Shock

This disc... The volt was flippy for me, maybe this will finally be the driver I though the volt would be.

For those in the Austin Texas area

Disc Nation has 2 Neutron Shocks available for testing on our driving range. We do not have any for sale until Feb 1st but we encourage you to come fly them before anyone can buy them

Disc Nation has 2 Neutron Shocks available for testing on our driving range. We do not have any for sale until Feb 1st but we encourage you to come fly them before anyone can buy them

Man!! I wish I lived in Austin. I always tell myself if I have ever get an opportunity to move to Texas.. Austin would be the place.

Can't wait to see Mike C's vid!!

Man!! I wish I lived in Austin. I always tell myself if I have ever get an opportunity to move to Texas.. Austin would be the place.

Can't wait to see Mike C's vid!!

Funny, Raleigh has always been one of of the few areas I would leave Austin for if I needed to :D

Disc Nation Raleigh sounds like a good idea. We're Ben working on our 1st Houck designed course to make you feel at home.

Can you give us a review of how they fly? Compare to? etc?

As in compare to each other? or other mvp drivers?

I have already covered how they fly compared to other drivers. Now compared to each other, the red 171g is a tad more low speed stable and the 173g yellow-green will hold forward a bit longer. Really they fly almost the same, just little differences you see in any 2 discs. The red one also had the highest PLH(slightly) of any of the tester shocks ZAM got. I would not attribute the flight differnce to weight, because I don't feel 2g's will make that difference. Almost every Shock I saw had nearly identical PLH, so don't get to worried about all that when they are released.

As in compare to each other? or other mvp drivers?

I have already covered how they fly compared to other drivers. Now compared to each other, the red 171g is a tad more low speed stable and the 173g yellow-green will hold forward a bit longer. Really they fly almost the same, just little differences you see in any 2 discs. The red one also had the highest PLH(slightly) of any of the tester shocks ZAM got. I would not attribute the flight differnce to weight, because I don't feel 2g's will make that difference. Almost every Shock I saw had nearly identical PLH, so don't get to worried about all that when they are released.

I guess i didnt see your review, i cant find it anywhere.

I meant more of a comparison to an Eagle-x for example. or maybe give your flight ratings.
e.g. Would you rate it HSS: -1 LSS: 2?

Does it flip or turn over easily?

When thrown flat does it go straight and have a late fade?
Can it be hyzer flipped? Or does it just hold the line you put it on?

Sorry.. im very excited for this disc. Im hoping it flies more like what i thought the Volt would be. I just want to hear what everyone/anyone has to say about it

Here is one of the snippets from my findings

Let me set this straight. It is nothing like a TB, FB, PD, Banshee, Predator or Orc.

If I had to compare all three MVP drivers this is how they rank
Amp = Sidewinder
Volt = Q-Orion LS
Shock = S/M-Orion LF 1.1

ZAM and myself hit the field after work, I'm not sure if he threw it actually. Anyways I find in this case it makes since to compare the Shock to the Volt as they can be similar.

The Shock and Volt can hold similar lines but they don't fly the same. I found the Shock handled power better than the Volt. As in it flew farther because it flipped forward later and has more low speed fade so it can fight out of the flip

Here are the shots the Shock excels at:
Flat spin controlled hyzers - so those with low speed will like this for hyzers
Distance Hyzer flips - flips flat with a bit of turn and then fades back

Comparing Shock to the Volt:
The Volt when flipped up wants to hold onto the turn. there is not enough fade to carry it back left. The Shock when flipped up will turn out and then fade back late. This helps it hold power better and carry forward longer. On good hits the Shock was going 25ft farther than the Volt. The Shock comes out of the hand faster, but the speed is the same. I'd say the HSS is the same but the Shock has more LSS.

And I would actually rate the Volt a bit differently. I see it more like a straight Valkyrie now.

I don't think I have given out my public rating of the Shock but I have it at 9/5/-1.5/2.5.

Last edited:
Here is one of the snippets from my findings

And I would actually rate the Volt a bit differently. I see it more like a straight Valkyrie now.

I don't think I have given out my public rating of the Shock but I have it at 9/5/-1.5/2.5.

Cool, i think i will like this disc, but i was hoping for more HSS.

I think they need to release a truly over-stable Fairway. with something like HSS: 0 and LSS: 2

Yeah I'd like to see a slower, deeper rimmed driver that is true overstable

The Amp, Volt, and Shock give you a do it all control combo. Subtle differences but they all have 1-2 lines they really excel at.

I would carry all three. I.e. for strong tailwind I ll use Amp, for calm conditions, use Volt and some headwinds, use Shock using similar throwing form and release angles. I def need to do field work with good amount of wind to figure things out. :)

I would carry all three. I.e. for strong tailwind I ll use Amp, for calm conditions, use Volt and some headwinds, use Shock using similar throwing form and release angles. I def need to do field work with good amount of wind to figure things out. :)

i Would drop the Amp for a river and use the volt/shock

The amps i have really aren't under-stable....

Some will carry all three, but mvp has done a great job with respect to marketing. They made three discs that can cover a mix of shots out on the couse, AND each disc can replace another disc in a bag for players of various skill levels.

If the Shock is as overstable as I think it's going to be, I might drop the Volt from my bag.
A Shock/Amp/beat Vision trio should work for all my driver needs.

We'll see come the first week of February...

If the Shock is as overstable as I think it's going to be, I might drop the Volt from my bag.
A Shock/Amp/beat Vision trio should work for all my driver needs.

We'll see come the first week of February...

Now that you say that, a Shock/Amp/River setup sounds real good :)

Latest posts