• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Vector Midrange

That reminds me of needing to test also the regular domier Vector of mine with the pinkyless stack fork grip. The flat broken in one is flipping a couple of degrees in a headwind and fading certainly. About Z Buzzz amount in feet, but starting earlier on low lines and higher up it's fading at least a third more than a Z Buzzz.

Windy day normally domey Vector test with the pinkyless stack fork grip worked fine. No real trouble from the wind or the grip. I also did full run up full power two fingered grips consciously gripping hard in the end to great success. More D that way than with the forkish grip. I had two occasions, when the wind direction changed in mid flight and pushed the bottom of the disc and the disc did not drop as fast as normal and moved a lot to the left in the fade. 60-70' i think. Throwing high this Vector fades a lot and despite fading to a fairly steep hyzer angle it does not drop fast, but the direction of the fade is so much to the left, that on high throws the disc won't move much at all forward, only left.

With a tournament coming up this weekend and several months of throwing the Axis under my belt, my Vectors are still my go-to mids most of the time. My most used Vector is about the same stability as a new Axis, but it turns much slower and is less affected by headwind. It doesn't fly quite as far or as low as my Axis, but it's more predictable for me. I'm using my Axis when I need more turn, more distance, or a lower line. The Vector really does season like a Roc in terms of losing LSS and keeping good HSS. Mine pushes into a touch of high speed turn after about 280, but it turns so slow it rarely changes the line unless thrown flat. Inside 280' it just holds it's angle and glides like a faster Ion.

I'm really looking forward to getting a lighter Axis so that it has a more defined role and overlaps less with my Vector.

discspeed said:
With a tournament coming up this weekend and several months of throwing the Axis under my belt, my Vectors are still my go-to mids most of the time. My most used Vector is about the same stability as a new Axis, but it turns much slower and is less affected by headwind. It doesn't fly quite as far or as low as my Axis, but it's more predictable for me. I'm using my Axis when I need more turn, more distance, or a lower line. The Vector really does season like a Roc in terms of losing LSS and keeping good HSS. Mine pushes into a touch of high speed turn after about 280, but it turns so slow it rarely changes the line unless thrown flat. Inside 280' it just holds it's angle and glides like a faster Ion.

I'm really looking forward to getting a lighter Axis so that it has a more defined role and overlaps less with my Vector.
how far do you push your mids? because I wouldn't want my workhorse mid to turn at 280', but I like to throw them out to around 330'-350' (rocs)

I've put Vectors out to 380' with a flat release with 0 turn. Even in a headwind they'll go straight, and thrown with hyzer and some height they can move really far left. They're very reliable without being too overstable, they're a little more OS than a fresh kc roc. Favorite mid.

Mike C said:
I've put Vectors out to 380' with a flat release with 0 turn. Even in a headwind they'll go straight, and thrown with hyzer and some height they can move really far left. They're very reliable without being too overstable, they're a little more OS than a fresh kc roc. Favorite mid.

New Mold Vectors*

Fixed that for ya.

Triflusal said:
discspeed said:

how far do you push your mids? because I wouldn't want my workhorse mid to turn at 280', but I like to throw them out to around 330'-350' (rocs)

I'll push my mids that far for straight line D occasionally, but most of the shots I use my mids on regularly are between 280'-320'. For a power shot I'd definitely use a mildly seasoned Vector.

Triflusal said:
discspeed said:

If I recall, that is the vector that has had some "extra" seasoning. Not sure how long it would take to get to that point under regular circumstances.

My most used Vector has hit a lot of trees, and been driven into a concrete wall twice (Accidental) and otherwise just tossed around a bunch for a few months. If I throw it with 10 degrees of hyzer in a 20mph headwind with 375' of power, it might flip all the way to flat, but it will not be flipping over and going right at all. It's worn enough I can tell a difference between it and my less used Vectors, but it's still an excellent wind fighter.

Check this out (Full screen high res makes it easier to follow the disc), that's my worn Vector. See how I throw it with a bit of hyzer, it flattens for a second, then it hooks over hard left? I love how much lateral movement Vectors can have on a throw like this. Few more shots here, couple of rollers and throws well past 325'. With their strong fade Vectors are very easy to range, they make deadly accurate approach discs FH or BH.

Jeronimo said:
Mike C said:

New Mold Vectors*

Fixed that for ya.

Well that's news to me that First Runs Vectors are a new mold.

I tested 2 Eclipse Vectors today. The first one is green and almost completely flat with a scale weight of 179. To my surprise it flew pretty straight with a lot of glide right out of the box. I used it during my doubles round tonight, mostly using it on powered down shots under 300'. At these distances it held it's line with minimal effort and faded much more forward than my other new Vectors. I didn't really use it on any power shots, but I have a feeling it's going to be really straight on a hard throw. The other one I tested (I had about half as many throws with this one) was a UV blue that scaled 178. It has a bit more dome than the green one, but it is still flatter than the other Vectors I own. It flies like one of my other Vectors after a little seasoning--straight with a late yet strong fade when powered, fading early when underpowered.

I'm really excited about the green one. It fills a gap in my bag between my newish Vector and beat Vector, yet glides more than either despite being flatter. I charged them up a little with my headlights and played a 3 hole loop. As long as my eyes were well adjusted to the dark it was easy to see them. I got some headlight beams in my face on the last hole and it took a minute to get my vision back and find them. Testing these some more is going to be fun as now I will be able to throw about 3/4 of the holes on my local course with my Eclipse Ions/Vectors during glow rounds.

I know there is a better place to ask this but I don't have time to search.

I tried to flatten a super domey piggish vector last night and it worked a bit too much. I'm now dealing with a sunken top vector. How do I repair my mistakes?

No telling if this will work, but I did that to a P MD2 and fixed it by putting it upside down in a microwave, with water in the plate like a bowl, heated it up for a minute or two, repeated that a few times. Then I set it on a bowl where the edge of the flight plate was supported, but the center wasn't, which kind of allowed the dome to reform. Then I went through the flattening process again while the plastic was super warm. Now I have a perfectly flat MD2. My only thought is that the Proton plastic is entirely different than Pro, so you may just have to go buy a flat Vector instead.

Easiest way to fix a sunken top is to prop the disc upside down so that it's supported only by the rim (a cooking pot or something like that works nicely) and pour some boiling water into the bowl. The plastic will soften and if it the top doesn't fix by itself, you can push it with something (don't burn your fingers though). After that just rinse it with cold water and you're done.

I have been throwing the Vector / Axis mid combo exclusively for the past month or so and, while I don't have a strong grip on either mold yet, I find myself never reaching for the vector. Through manipulating nose / hyzer angles I feel like I can accomplish a large array of shots with the axis excluding certain S-shots thrown with anhyzer and reliable headwind shots. In my experience my vectors have been equally unreliable into a headwind as my axi.

I need to play a axis / vector only round to really see what the vector's purpose is.

uNicedmeMan said:
Through manipulating nose / hyzer angles I feel like I can accomplish a large array of shots with the axis excluding certain S-shots thrown with anhyzer and reliable headwind shots. In my experience my vectors have been equally unreliable into a headwind as my axi.

Something is definitely not right here...I'd almost bet you are getting a cleaner/more comfortable release with the Axis because the Vector handles the wind more reliably than any other stable/slightly overstable mid I've thrown. The flatter ones have a touch of high speed turn, but it is so slow with that giant bead it is very easy to account for and the LSS is always there...Unless you get some OAT...Vector does not like OAT (neither does any other MVP discs IME). I'm rudely reminded of this when I try and throw my Vectors a little too hard FH (my FH is not that clean...I usually don't see the OAT, but it is there as the Vector will turn).

I don't think there are any plans to make anything but putters in proton soft, but an overwhelming demand for them could possibly change their minds.

Latest posts