• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

MVP Vector Midrange

I got to see some Vectors being made today. I also got to check out the newest stock at the MVP warehouse and throw some new run Vectors as well. They have got them running exactly how they want them now...all with uniform moderate domes. They feel like my overstable FRs in terms of dome, but they have a slightly lower parting line. In terms of flight they were slightly overstable...Not nearly as overstable as the ones FRs I have. They are now flying exactly how I hoped they would initially...They were holding a line on 300'+ shots into and with 10-15mph winds, and fading later and more forward than the FRs. They are still a little more stable than my seasoned Vector, but even so are closer to those in stability than my most overstable FRs. They also seemed to glide a little more.

Chad said that after some dome consistency issues with the FRs (especially the earliest ones), they have figured things out and that these new Vectors represent what he wanted them to be all along...A slightly overstable midrange...Something that flies fairly straight, doesn't turn, and has a prominent late fade. The new colors were awesome as well. The ice blue looks clear in your hand, but against the ground looks really blue. I took a couple of crimson (purplish red) ones for myself as that color really pops.

Revisited the Vector and boy am I glad I did. Replaced my pains. When I was first throwing the Vector when they first released I was trying to hyzer flip them and just couldnt throw them well at all in general. Now since Ive really learned what the gyro is all about and how the gyro has such an affect on how the disc flies per the angle it was released on. These Vector are just so damn consistent. I love the fact I can rip em flat and they just go straight with a very consistent fade.

I think once my Axis gets here and give it some air time my mids will be Vector, Axis and Comet. What a deadly combo.

The Vector has earned my confidence greatly over the summer. While on most the teepads I play regularly I have to change discs based on the conditions of the moment, my Vector holes are always Vector holes...And I birdie them more often than any of the others holes I play. I had kind of a breakthrough with it when I stopped trying to make it fly a whole bunch of different ways and just let it fly like it wants to...Among that was learning that it wants a smooth flat throw rather than a powered hyzer release to get the nice straight to fade shot...For a hyzer, it wants a slight hyzer release, and even for an anhyzer it only takes a couple degrees and a smooth release to get it to hold and flex out at the end.

discspeed said:
I had kind of a breakthrough with it when I stopped trying to make it fly a whole bunch of different ways and just let it fly like it wants to...Among that was learning that it wants a smooth flat throw rather than a powered hyzer release to get the nice straight to fade shot...For a hyzer, it wants a slight hyzer release, and even for an anhyzer it only takes a couple degrees and a smooth release to get it to hold and flex out at the end.

That was what was key for me. I admit I gave up on the vector too soon when I first bought it. So this time around I played two mid range/putter only rounds and did a few hours of field work with the the Vectors and now that I learned to throw with a smooth yet snappy flat release these fly great. And like you mentioned if I want to get a helix flight or more severe hyzer I only need to make a very slight adjustment to the release angle and make sure I give it enough snap and it does what I want every time.

Great disc. I cant wait to throw the Axis to see how they compliment each other. From what Ive been reading though sounds like the Axis will become my main mid with the Vector and comet being compliments to it.

disc junkie said:
discspeed said:
I had kind of a breakthrough with it when I stopped trying to make it fly a whole bunch of different ways and just let it fly like it wants to...Among that was learning that it wants a smooth flat throw rather than a powered hyzer release to get the nice straight to fade shot...For a hyzer, it wants a slight hyzer release, and even for an anhyzer it only takes a couple degrees and a smooth release to get it to hold and flex out at the end.

That was what was key for me. I admit I gave up on the vector too soon when I first bought it. So this time around I played two mid range/putter only rounds and did a few hours of field work with the the Vectors and now that I learned to throw with a smooth yet snappy flat release these fly great. And like you mentioned if I want to get a helix flight or more severe hyzer I only need to make a very slight adjustment to the release angle and make sure I give it enough snap and it does what I want every time.

Great disc. I cant wait to throw the Axis to see how they compliment each other. From what Ive been reading though sounds like the Axis will become my main mid with the Vector and comet being compliments to it.

sounds exactly like a San Marino Q-Sentinel...when thrown flat, it really isn't all that stable

Thrown flat my Vectors ARE all that stable. They get some straight flight but they're definitely overstable.

jubuttib said:
Thrown flat my Vectors ARE all that stable. They get some straight flight but they're definitely overstable.

ZJ's got a cannon...one must always remember that when reading his reviews. If you really power the Vector flat(350' or more) it fades later and less dramatically.

discspeed said:
jubuttib said:

ZJ's got a cannon...one must always remember that when reading his reviews. If you really power the Vector flat(350' or more) it fades later and less dramatically.
Oh yeah, forgot about that part. The amount of spin he can muster will also make the disc straighter. Carry on!

New vector flies NOTHING like old domey Vectors. I nearly shit my pants when I threw a new one after trying hard to love my 1st runs. It just wasn't even remotely the same disc. They're so much better now, I really do like them now.

Jeronimo said:
New vector flies NOTHING like old domey Vectors. I nearly shit my pants when I threw a new one after trying hard to love my 1st runs. It just wasn't even remotely the same disc. They're so much better now, I really do like them now.

Damnit, now wait a sec...what'd I miss? I only have first runs, so what's so different besides less dome?

Joz said:
Jeronimo said:

Damnit, now wait a sec...what'd I miss? I only have first runs, so what's so different besides less dome?
Thats about it, we dialed in the dome to be just a small gradual/gentle dome.

Less LSS perhaps? I know the flatter orange one I've got is significantly straighter than the domey green and clear ones I've got in my stack of first runs.

As I said before, a good portion of the first runs were the desired shape and fly the same as the current runs. If your first run was either flat or poppy top domey then it was not the desired shape and the newer ones will fly a bit different.

jubuttib said:
Less LSS perhaps? I know the flatter orange one I've got is significantly straighter than the domey green and clear ones I've got in my stack of first runs.
I would say yes a little less LSS. For me, when I throw flat on a 300' drive it will go straight with zero chance of flipping, then always have a positive forward fade at the end of its flight.

After dedicating a lot of time in the past month getting to know the Axis, I'm really appreciating my Vectors and probably still throwing them more than the Axis.

My seasoned Vector sits down on the fade much more, so it's more predictable and easier to range. My Vector's slight high speed turn also happens at about half the rate of my Axis, and this makes it much better at holding a line in the wind. Even when it's not windy, I KNOW that Vector is going to stay right where I put it, where the Axis may flip off it's line if I'm not careful. Any shot where I need a little flip or a long/low ceiling shot is definitely Axis territory, but I'm honestly surprised by how much I'm still favoring my Vectors during my rounds.

@Discspeed
Have you thrown a Kenny 4x glow roc? That is what I use for wind and somewhat overstable mid. For reference how does the vector compare?

Rogue9 said:
@Discspeed
Have you thrown a Kenny 4x glow roc? That is what I use for wind and somewhat overstable mid. For reference how does the vector compare?

I have a 4x Kenny glow Roc...The Vector is similar, with a bit more speed and initial LSS. It's also a little less OAT tolerant.

Been using my Vector a lot the past few rounds. It's been real windy and it's been performing like a champ. Hit metal off the tee with it yesterday and on two different holes with Ions :D

Latest posts