• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] My new Surge 150

x3billRONIN

So, I bought a Surge 150 yesterday. Ran to my favorite course, and immediately fell in love with it. It seemed to run straight and fast, with minimal fade at the end, and I feel like I got more distance with it than I do with my Avenger ss (168g).

I don't have the biggest arm, and usually only hit 300' feet on rare occasion.

Are these just "out-of-the-box" characteristics of the Surge or is this the "norm" for this disc?

Side note: I've only been playing for about a year, and still feel like I'm searching for a disc that fits.

I got a Surge 150 in a discraft misprint deal pack and the characteristics you decribe are what I have experienced as well. Of course, I have only had it for a few months, so mine is still in like new condition. I will say that it is the farthest flying disc that I have (and I too throw around 300', maybe 325' on a really good throw), and I find it very comfortable in my hand.

I got a surge 150 (140grams) in the mail and it seems pretty crappy compared to other 150 class discs...I think it was a fluke that was all kinds of extra flashing and junk on it...it's just not cool.

I did however get a 150 avenger that seems to be really rad.

\/\/

Are these just "out-of-the-box" characteristics of the Surge or is this the "norm" for this disc?

Side note: I've only been playing for about a year, and still feel like I'm searching for a disc that fits.
Yup. I LOVE my 150 Surges (I have 6 of them in different colors and various stages of wear). Dead straight, fast, and my 2nd farthest flier. You'll love it even more once it begins to beat in.....at that point, it goes even farther and straighter and becomes a very long, super predictable turn-over/anny disc. The more beat-to-hell it is, the less it will flex out of the anhyzer and the more it will turn. Hubby finally made me retire my purple one now that it has huge dents in it, but man, she was an awesome anny disc!!! :(

It might be giving you extra distance now, using it in 150, but I think I would recommend not touching a Surge still until you get to 350' with slower discs. Thats just me though.

In general I'd agree with this statement, however, those of us with decent technique but without the power or speed to generate that type of distance all seem to benefit greatly by using the 150 class Surge earlier than you'd think. Despite it's rating as a high speed disc, the 150 version is veeerrryyy different than the others. I also have the ESP version, and it's generally shorter and much more overstable for me. (Currently throwing RHBH 180-220' pretty consistently).

In general I'd agree with this statement, however, those of us with decent technique but without the power or speed to generate that type of distance all seem to benefit greatly by using the 150 class Surge earlier than you'd think. Despite it's rating as a high speed disc, the 150 version is veeerrryyy different than the others. I also have the ESP version, and it's generally shorter and much more overstable for me. (Currently throwing RHBH 180-220' pretty consistently).

I would say the same thing about a 150 wraith and 150 tsunami...and if you like REALLY BIG flex shots a 150 dx destroyer is just insane.

The longest drive I ever had in a field to date was 460' with a gigantic flex shot with a rather new dx 150 destroyer...I never take that to the course...but I know at least 1 course where it wouldn't be that big of a risk to take that shot.

I throw 150 class: Valkyrie, Eagle, Wraith, Surge/Avenger (I think I got a bum deal on my 150surge...) and a "normal" valk/viking/wraith to cover most of my distance shots.

\/\/

I think my Surge is a freak understable. When it should be going about 400', that thing is rediculously flippy to the point where I cannot use it except for throws less than 300' or huge tailwind. 300' is not a shot that normally needs a Surge. And I'm not going to carry a disc hoping that I have a favorable tailwind on "those 2 holes."
Also, the plastic on mine is worse than junk. It's no secret that I don't like certain blends of Pro D and this is worse than those Pro Ds. Throwing a mushroom cap would last longer... and probably go further.
But like I said, I probably got a freak.

And before you guys say OAT, I should remind y'all that I throw all 150 class, putters, mids and drivers. My flippiest Valk has more stablility than the Surge.

I think my Surge is a freak understable. When it should be going about 400', that thing is rediculously flippy to the point where I cannot use it except for throws less than 300' or huge tailwind. 300' is not a shot that normally needs a Surge. And I'm not going to carry a disc hoping that I have a favorable tailwind on "those 2 holes."
Also, the plastic on mine is worse than junk. It's no secret that I don't like certain blends of Pro D and this is worse than those Pro Ds. Throwing a mushroom cap would last longer... and probably go further.
But like I said, I probably got a freak.

And before you guys say OAT, I should remind y'all that I throw all 150 class, putters, mids and drivers. My flippiest Valk has more stablility than the Surge.

I have a really crappy 140 surge that is super flippy like you said...I want to try another one but there's none in stores near here and I'm afraid of getting another bum deal online. :(

\/\/

If you can fondle before you fly, everyone wins.
Unfortunately for me, PIAS is the only local store that has discs and they only carry Innova.
Discspeed (since he is local to Clearwater DGS) has hand-picked discs with certain characteristics for me. I gave him a list of detailed standards and he met every criteria. That's saying a lot 'cause I'm picky, like picky somethin' awful.

If you can fondle before you fly, everyone wins.
Unfortunately for me, PIAS is the only local store that has discs and they only carry Innova.
Discspeed (since he is local to Clearwater DGS) has hand-picked discs with certain characteristics for me. I gave him a list of detailed standards and he met every criteria. That's saying a lot 'cause I'm picky, like picky somethin' awful.

Well if you want to talk him into getting a high class 150 surge that isn't blue blue (light blue fine...dark blue notsomuch) then lemme know :)

\/\/

Well if you want to talk him into getting a high class 150 surge that isn't blue blue (light blue fine...dark blue notsomuch) then lemme know :)

\/\/

PM him. I live in VA, he is in FL. When I said he is local to Clearwater, I was saying that he has a local dg store that is super-stocked... not local to me.

PM him. I live in VA, he is in FL. When I said he is local to Clearwater, I was saying that he has a local dg store that is super-stocked... not local to me.

I actually just placed an order from those guys like 3 days ago, I know what you meant :)

\/\/

Latest posts