• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Mystere love thread

nice! i still am trying how to fit it in my bag or if its really needed currently. Ill def keep it for a while just to see how it turns out.

on another note, how do you post whats in your bag, below your replies? I can't seem to figure it out and i love reading what everyone throws

Click on your name/handle. Somewhere will be a "Signature" line you can click on, and you can put in your discs, or whatever you want (keep it clean).

Mystere update: took my 169g Shimmer Star Mystere to the 'range' today. The 'range' is a schoolyard, 500 ft. long, dead flat. I also took some other discs, including 3 Valarie Star SLs (all 175g) and two Star Terns (167g and 168g). I threw the various discs both ways on the range, with rangefinder-measured distances going both ways.

My form is better: I often threw the Terns 300 ft. or more(!), and that's going both ways. The Terns did very well for me.

The SLs were getting 250-260 ft. on average, and were pretty consistent. They're new, so they still have a healthy fade, and over time I expect that to diminish some and hopefully their distance will improve.

It was my hope that the Mystere would be like the Tern, and would get equal to or more distance than the Tern with a Speed-11 rim for easier grip. Unfortunately, that has so far not been the case. While on occasion I would get the Mystere out to where the Terns were, usually if I correctly anny-flexed the Mystere, it consistently was shorter than the Terns. Being new, the Mystere also still retained a healthy fade. In the overall, the Mystere was more consistent with the Star SLs than the Star Terns.

I'll keep working with it, and if they come out with production Mysteres and I can get one in a low-to-mid-160s wt., I'll try another one. But I guess I'm just going to have to live with the Tern's wider rim; the Mystere did not beat the Tern out of my core bag.

Gstars are now out. Hope to see some reviews.

I'm waiting for production Star Mysteres and S-Line CD3s to come out. Hoping one or the other will become my "go to" driver (especially in tailwinds) so I can disc-down my bag (retaining the Sheriff for drivs into headwinds).

Last year when I got my mystere I kept it in the bag for a month or two. I had some nice long turning shots, but I mostly found I was not able to be accurate and control the landing zone. I much prefer a shryke at this point. I'll accept offers if anyone wants a 9/10 dark purple champ with gold stamp

It has potential.

Bump.

Got my production regular Star Mystere in the mail today. 167g (the lightest I could find), and a neon bright green-yellow, easy to spot. Took it onto the course and threw it during my round a number of times along with my Echostar Tern.

The Mystere flew very well for me. On the first throw that I threw it, it went very straight and level... straight into the side of the fairly steep uphill of that hole. The next hole was downhill, and the Mystere got good distance. On a throw into tailwinds, the Mystere outdistanced the Tern. On another couple of occasions, the Mystere was as far as the Tern.

I'll need to work more with it, but so far I'm liking the Star Mystere. I'd like to get one in the 158-162 weight range and see if it really bombs.

Is it basically a slightly faster valk? That is pretty much how mine flew for me. It was not doing anything special for me and I needed to disc down so I traded it. Is it worth another shot?

Is it basically a slightly faster valk? That is pretty much how mine flew for me. It was not doing anything special for me and I needed to disc down so I traded it. Is it worth another shot?

I'd say it's more like a slightly slower, smaller-rimmed Tern (as it was advertised to be). The Shimmer Star Mystere (that was made as a CFR disc) is less glidey and perhaps more like a Valk.

I need to do more work with it, but the Star Mystere I've tried was worth trying. Don't know what weights you like them in, but if you find one to your liking, try it out.

Mystere

OK. Threw a Mystere for the first time today. Its a star (shimmer)? Max weight.

First off, this disc isn't a whole lot like a Wraith in looks, flight, or how it feels in your hand. The Mystere seems a little shallower and has a more beveled rim.

Disc is flippy. I'd say at least -3 on high speed turn, maybe even -4. Once the Mystere starts bleeding right it doesn't come back either. The only way I could keep the Mystere in the air long enough to really flex out was to throw it downwind. Anything even resembling a headwind (gentle breeze) will flip this thing over surely and suddenly. There is no "in-between" with the Mystere. It'll either stay flat or flip. If it even bends right a little it'll keep heading that direction. The lack of low speed fade was vexing and it kept the disc from achieving max distance.

I actually had a few long rips with it, but I still feel the Mystere's natural tendency is to flip over and not come back. It'll flex out beautifully at times, but still will end up well right of the target.

I guess the discs I'd most compare the Mystere to are the Mamba and Shryke. The Shryke is a far superior disc in that it will actually fade back left after flexing out. The Mystere won't. The Mamba has the same high speed turn as the Mystere, but better low speed fade. It actually comes back.

I won't call the Mystere useless. I'd like to try it in champion. The distance capacity is there. Despite not throwing it perfectly today I was still cresting 400' pretty easily.

Mystere: 11, 5, -4, 1. I'm sure others will disagree with these numbers, but the one I threw today was simply flippy. Way too much high speed turn and too little fade for my liking.

OK. Threw a Mystere for the first time today. Its a star (shimmer)? Max weight.

Disc is flippy. I'd say at least -3 on high speed turn, maybe even -4. Once the Mystere starts bleeding right it doesn't come back either. The only way I could keep the Mystere in the air long enough to really flex out was to throw it downwind. Anything even resembling a headwind (gentle breeze) will flip this thing over surely and suddenly. There is no "in-between" with the Mystere. It'll either stay flat or flip. If it even bends right a little it'll keep heading that direction. The lack of low speed fade was vexing and it kept the disc from achieving max distance.

I guess the discs I'd most compare the Mystere to are the Mamba and Shryke. The Shryke is a far superior disc in that it will actually fade back left after flexing out. The Mystere won't. The Mamba has the same high speed turn as the Mystere, but better low speed fade. It actually comes back.

Mystere: 11, 5, -4, 1. I'm sure others will disagree with these numbers, but the one I threw today was simply flippy. Way too much high speed turn and too little fade for my liking.
You and I need to trade Mysteres. I am thinking I got one on the OS side of the bell curve, and I have no use for that.

You and I need to trade Mysteres. I am thinking I got one on the OS side of the bell curve, and I have no use for that.

Yeah, I just pulled this one out of a muddy swamp the other day. I'm going to give it another whirl here soon. I hate to come to hard conclusions on discs after only 1 field session.

Its undeniably flippy though.

Yeah, I just pulled this one out of a muddy swamp the other day. I'm going to give it another whirl here soon. I hate to come to hard conclusions on discs after only 1 field session.

Its undeniably flippy though.

You should name it Lump. No, wait, that was a boggy marsh.

Shimmer Star svcks, at least in the form of a Mystere. I have one of them and two regular Star Mysteres. The Star Mysteres fly well, like Terns with a more comfortable rim. They've done well for me on uphill shots and downwind shots. They'll turn over in stronger headwinds, but I'm not finding them to be SUPER-flippy. The Shimmer Mystere is more glideless and just doesn't seem to want to get downrange like the Star Mysteres do.

Shimmer Star svcks, at least in the form of a Mystere. I have one of them and two regular Star Mysteres. The Star Mysteres fly well, like Terns with a more comfortable rim. They've done well for me on uphill shots and downwind shots. They'll turn over in stronger headwinds, but I'm not finding them to be SUPER-flippy. The Shimmer Mystere is more glideless and just doesn't seem to want to get downrange like the Star Mysteres do.

I can't say I love the shimmer plastic. I guess its pretty and all, but it doesn't fly that great. Its kinda gummy and reminds me of G*. Also, this Mystere I have definitely doesn't have a glide of 6. 5 at best. I wasn't having much trouble getting the disc downrange, but it sure as hell wasn't coming back out of the high speed turn.

This disc was also far inferior in every way to a Shryke. I mean, I realize the Shryke is 2 speeds faster, but the Mystere didn't fly how I was expecting. I can blow Shrykes a good 40' consistently past where I was putting the Mystere.

I frankly can't figure out why Innova even made the Mystere. The speed 11-12 lineup is already cluttered.

I can't say I love the shimmer plastic. I guess its pretty and all, but it doesn't fly that great. Its kinda gummy and reminds me of G*. Also, this Mystere I have definitely doesn't have a glide of 6. 5 at best. I wasn't having much trouble getting the disc downrange, but it sure as hell wasn't coming back out of the high speed turn.

This disc was also far inferior in every way to a Shryke. I mean, I realize the Shryke is 2 speeds faster, but the Mystere didn't fly how I was expecting. I can blow Shrykes a good 40' consistently past where I was putting the Mystere.

I frankly can't figure out why Innova even made the Mystere. The speed 11-12 lineup is already cluttered.

Purely speculating, I think they were trying to create a more narrow-rimmed Tern, which would be popular with many who find the Tern's rim to be uncomfortably wide. Good idea, and the Star Terns do a fair job of that. But they put out the disc in Shimmer Star (yes, too much like GStar) and it was not well-received, which is unfortunate. I do like the Star Mystere, and recommend to less-than-professional arms to give it a try...

Purely speculating, I think they were trying to create a more narrow-rimmed Tern, which would be popular with many who find the Tern's rim to be uncomfortably wide. Good idea, and the Star Terns do a fair job of that. But they put out the disc in Shimmer Star (yes, too much like GStar) and it was not well-received, which is unfortunate. I do like the Star Mystere, and recommend to less-than-professional arms to give it a try...

I've never really understood why Innova takes a wildly successful mold and tries to make redundant variations of it. It leads to tons of overlap in their driver lineup.

I think the Mystere could actually be a decent mold, but there isn't enough unique about it to make people ditch other discs out of their bag for it.

I've never really understood why Innova takes a wildly successful mold and tries to make redundant variations of it. It leads to tons of overlap in their driver lineup.

I think the Mystere could actually be a decent mold, but there isn't enough unique about it to make people ditch other discs out of their bag for it.

Agree that it's not going to make people rush to replace their current discs, and they certainly haven't so far. But relative newbies might prefer it if it's their first mold in that area of molds. And over time, it's going to grow on some people...

Latest posts