• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

n00bs and their discs

I played a round with a guy who looked like he had been up for 3 days on a meth binge. He had a small bag with 4 discs in it, every one was a Boss. He had a Champ, a Pro and 2 Stars. One was for driving, one was for max D drives, one was for approach and one was his putter. I asked him about the lack of variety and he seemed a little confused. He didn't realize they were the same disc, he thought Boss meant the best and that Champion, Star and Pro were the models.

Of course, he also had plans of going on tour and winning enough money to pay off his mortgage, but that's another story for another thread.

So the other day I was out at the course and a one disc wonder putting with a high speed driver (couldn't tell what it was, probably a groove) and he missed his putt and it skipped about 50' from the basket when he was about only 10' from it before putting.

Recently around the practice basket there was a guy and he had three discs and he was putting with all three. I could only identify 2. A nuke and an aviar.

I found a Groove once. Threw it into some big bushes one week later and wasn't sorry at all that I didn't put my info on it. I didn't look for it longer than 10 minutes before saying, "Oh darn, I guess it's gone."

He had a Champ, a Pro and 2 Stars. One was for driving, one was for max D drives, one was for approach and one was his putter. I asked him about the lack of variety and he seemed a little confused. He didn't realize they were the same disc, he thought Boss meant the best and that Champion, Star and Pro were the models.

This is funny.

I found a Groove once. Threw it into some big bushes one week later and wasn't sorry at all that I didn't put my info on it. I didn't look for it longer than 10 minutes before saying, "Oh darn, I guess it's gone."

You spent ten minutes looking for it? Why?:confused:

1. innova makes a **** high speed driver...
2. fastest driver for sale at dicks sporting goods...
3. noobs see it.. woah the fastest disc here at dicks, ive gotta have it!
4. innova clears stock of **** driver (aka the groove)

When I started playing i picked up a pro katana... saw the speed and wanted it.. of course.
I also picked up a roc that same day, so that was a decent choice at least.

I played a round with a guy who looked like he had been up for 3 days on a meth binge. He had a small bag with 4 discs in it, every one was a Boss. He had a Champ, a Pro and 2 Stars. One was for driving, one was for max D drives, one was for approach and one was his putter. I asked him about the lack of variety and he seemed a little confused. He didn't realize they were the same disc, he thought Boss meant the best and that Champion, Star and Pro were the models.

I could say so many things about this. It's funny and very sad at the same time.

My brother-in-law just started playing DG again after having played a tiny bit a few years ago. I hooked him up with three of my discs. A DX Leo, DX Roc, and KC Pro Aviar.

It's really all you need to show a noob. A disc they can actually use.

Looking back I did the right thing with my first purchases. Even though I didn't know they were right then. I bought a DX Roc and played a one disc round with it a few times before getting a DX Archangel. Wonderful disc for a beginner who didn't understand release angles and stability. I found a beast soon after that and had a good flick with it. Next was a Starfire which was my new flick disc when I started turning the Beast over. I was a lucky noob who made lucky purchases and finds. As for a groove, I bought one in the late fall for a turnover flick disc and it was one of my more accurate discs. My BH speed is slower so I recently got a leopard and TL to BH.

Oddly enough, I introduced a buddy to the sport like three years ago. He spent the first day throwing chicken wings.... Then he got hooked. Nowadays his favorite driver is a Groove he found, and he out drives me easily...... Poop.

Played a round today and ended up behind a kid with two discs. Star wraith and star starfire...I did the good thing and told him to put them aside and pick up a mid range and putter. Went one steps further and gave him a DX shark.

Hopefully the good DG karma will come back around, I
Hit every tree on the course after that...

Halex discs enough said :doh:. Worst thing I could have done. I was expecting a dx copycat. Once I got to the course (all by myself on the course as well), I proceed to throw my "driver" and it turned upside down within the first 50 ft of the throw and hit the ground. As opposed to my 250 forehand throw with my dx valkyrie (which of course I didn't bring). Had to be my most nooby-like purchase. And at a close 2nd and third are my super light blizzard ape, and champion groove :wall:. No more idiotic purchases for me.

My first three times out were with the full set of three Halex a clueless friend bought me as a gift when we were heading out to play the first time. The cheap bastard put down his random coin better at walmart got himself a hawk, skeeter, and an avair.

...a month later after a round I saw them in my trunk and had a quite good local player we had just played a round with try to throw them with any sort of quality into a snowy fairway. He failed and they were abandoned. I do feel a little guilty about it.

One of the benefits of having started playing in 1989 is that the guy behind the Disc Golf scene in our area was PDGA #315. I went out and played his course for the first time at age 16 with a store-bought play catch Wham-O Frisbee (I remember that it was green with some '80s type zig zag design), and when he saw me, he got me a Stingray. It was $7, I think. Wish I still had it...

The drawback to those days? There were maybe a few hundred of us in the whole state playing. :)

I wonder what percentage of newbies today end up getting their first Disc from a display at a ubiquitous sporting goods store? I remember my dismay back in about 2000 or so when I saw a brand new player with his proud purchase...a Discraft Xtreeeeeeeeeeeme! Probably bought it based on the name...

I started with an Aero, Shark, and Roadrunner. It was the best decision, although I did not like the Shark so much (Too stable, and too sharp of a rim).

My first 2 discs were the Orc and Goblin cuz they sounded good together =P The Orc was actually a fantastic choice for a first disc and I'm glad I picked it. The goblin is probably worth something by now seeing as they don't make em anymore.

oddly enough i've never thrown the groove. I've held it and it felt just, not natural. So I handed it back to it's owner.

my first disc was a Star Aero, don't know if that's good or bad, but I don't have it anymore.

Latest posts