• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Name the hardest and easiest course you have played

Killer courses...

Hardest: Kensington Toboggan, (Milford, MI) http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2601
18 holes, 8824 ft with serious and frequent elevation changes. Thats an average hole length of 490 ft. Scoring low on this course is challenging even for the best DG'ers (sadly, I'm not in that category, so you can imagine how tough it is for me).

Lest I forget the rough... Not trying to stir up the whole "temp course discussion," but there's simply no denying the fact that since this course is only open for about a month a year, it always has the feel of a championship caliber course that's just been put in. It never gets "broken-in" or "beaten down" as a result of being continuously played. As a result , recovering from errant drives an iffy proposition. Shots that get away from you are severely penalized - consistently. You're often better off using a stroke to throw your disc 20 ft just to get back into the fairway.

Hon Mention: Monster Course, Hudson Mills Metropark, (Dexter, MI)
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=447
Played from the long tees and using the altrnate pin placements, this may not take the prize, but it belongs in the conversation.

Hoping to play Leviathan this summer.

Easiest: Civic Center Park , Auburn Hills
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=345
9 holes: drivers should be outlawed on this course. Putters only
Disc golf equivalent of putt-putt. Not even a challenging playing safari as a par 3.

Last edited:
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but Fewell Park in Rock Hill, SC (9 holes) is by far the easiest I've played. Played with a buddy and he got 19 (-8) on the first time through.
Easiest 18 i've played is Richlands Steed Park on a calm day.
The toughest I've played (highest score) is Winthrop Gold on a windy day.

Knollwood would qualify for the "smelliest" course I have played. The pond is disgusting and I will never return!

It is a stink hole. There were kids getting discs out of that pond covered in slime and stink water, selling discs with names and numbers on them. Karma=Malaria!
Biz
Team Bert

It is a stink hole. There were kids getting discs out of that pond covered in slime and stink water, selling discs with names and numbers on them. Karma=Malaria!
Biz
Team Bert

Thats Funny. That place is still fun. It's were i actually first played. It's easy. Haven't played in like 2 years though. Almost want to go back there and finally do better then ever. Heh.

Live Oak gold hardest
the old colony easiest

Hardest: Mighty Gaw, Mahway, NJ - ski slope course, up and down, twice!
Easiest: Jamesville Beach, NY - mostly open, though there are some long holes.

Hardest: Grange Darkside

Easiest: Middle creek disc golf course

I dont play too many courses so theese are the two

Easiest- Conejo Valley YMCA in Thousand Oaks, CA
Hardest- Diamond X in Billings, MT

Glad to see some of the courses mentioned, as some of the ones I've played! Definately one of the easiest is Fewell Park in Rock Hill SC. It does only have 9 baskets, but 2 tee pads/ basket. This is one that you will not need your whole bag...in fact my friend and I used only our blowflies. Almost every single hole is a birdie.....maybe about 3 are not. A GREAT time is guaranteed on this fun little course. Also have to mention Hunter Park in Newberry SC. It's only a 12 hole course, not that it is a pitch and putt <My lowest is only -3>, but it being only 12 holes, makes your score just seem low, and it's just a fun LITTLE course.
Hardest courses: Have to go with David Sauls and say WR Jackson at the IDGC was one of the toughest, although 2 of my "best" rounds during the Tim Selenski Masters this year. The part I do admire about this course is that you can get off the fairway into the "rough", but it is still open enough to give you a shot out, and still get some distance. Most holes you will need to throw 2-3 accurate drives to give you a par on the hole, a LOT are true par 5's.
Another tough one...Hornet's nest Web layout. This course definately whoops me, yet I keep coming back for more. Not only are the holes long, but a few are a very narrow fairway, with true rough, not much of a chance of gaining ground once you go off into it. This will test your accuracy.

I'd love to see some new thoughts on this thread. Many courses have been put in since 2010, especially on the harder end of the spectrum.

Easiest is a former 9 hole course at a day care near me in Elon, NC. I've only ever thrown one shot on the first hole (60'). The longest hole was 109'. As far as actual courses go, Peaks View Park in VA (where Foundation DG films some of their videos) is the easiest. I shot a 40 out there way a decade ago. Average hole length is probably 160'.

Hardest course is trickier. Winthrop Gold is up there. I'd say that's the hardest course compared to par. On another note though, I'd say that the most difficult courses are ones that are mentally challenging, and I don't find Winthrop Gold to be as taxing on my psyche as others. Tight wooded holes that require excellent shots and punish bad ones are courses that I find more mentally taxing. I'm thinking of Venhorst/Independence Park in Bedford, VA. If you miss a line, you're not getting lucky. Even if you don't land softly, you're probably off the fairway. While some courses allow you to focus on one thing (wide open courses don't require you to shape lines as much), that course forces you to think about a lot of things a lot of the time.

Easiest? Probably Carpenter park in Carpentersville IL. I shot a ten under on nine holes. Score wise that's my best.

Hardest? I don't know. Probably No Boundary by Pitt. Idlewild, Jamestown Reservoir, Northwood gold are all right up there too.

Right here "in town" you can play Idlewild by Fred's official OB rules, and be happy shooting under triple digits for 24 holes
...and you can play Winton Prairie , er, Woods or The Reserves, and be frustrated if they weren't all deuces.

Right here "in town" you can play Idlewild by Fred's official OB rules, and be happy shooting under triple digits for 24 holes
...and you can play Winton Prairie , er, Woods or The Reserves, and be frustrated if they weren't all deuces.

I don't know what the official OB rules are at Idlewild. But I played the creek as OB. It seemed like I was in that damn thing every hole it wound through lol.

Easiest - FreeDaddy DGC, Laurinburg NC. Holes average about 160 ft. and are mostly in the open, I shot a 37 (-17) on my only visit. A few holes were a touch tricky, I can imagine easier 18-hole courses being out there.

Hardest - WR Jackson at the IDGC, and I loved it of course.

I have two different kids that got their first birdies at Winton Woods. Will always love the course for that reason. Best short course I've ever seen. And I know its short, but it is still impressive if you can get a deuce on every hole. Even 16 or 17 of them.

I don't know what the official OB rules are at Idlewild. But I played the creek as OB. It seemed like I was in that damn thing every hole it wound through lol.

The course designer (Fred) calls that "Idlemild".

The OBs for tournaments are much more extreme.

I can't pick a single hardest, but these would have to be at the top of my list if you play their most difficult layouts (in no particular order).

Idlewild
Iron Hill
No(rth) Boundary
Leviathan
Foundation Park Champ 18
Fairfield Park
WR Jackson
Renny Gold

RIP'd
Iffy Hollers
Ozark Mtn
Spencer Davis

Toboggan kicks my butt, but I don't think it's more difficult than what I've listed above.

Last edited:
Nice necrobump.

Easiest

Cloverland Farms in Lyman, ME. RIP. Wide open 9 holes running down fairways mowed into a grassy field ranging from 50'-200', averaging 125'. Site of my first ace, on one of the longer holes at 155'. :) Interestingly, the owner labeled the 50' and 60' holes as Par 1. My best round was a 17.

Deep Creek Elementary in Chesapeake, VA. Holes from 70'-160', again averaging 125'. Mostly open with some trees and stuff to bend shots around a little.

Hardest

White Tail Woods in Carlisle, PA. RIP. Crazy thick woods with an occasional line/fairway. That may be a bit dramatic, but it was rough.

I'll go with Orange Crush in Fairmont, WV. The length combined with the relentless trees and elevation make this one very difficult.

Latest posts