• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC fall trip - Boone or Charlotte?

October in Boone is pretty nice. Might be a touch chilly, but nothing too bad. The leaves will be changing at higher elevations. Note: the falling leaves get very thick at some places. I've lost discs in the middle of the fairway when the disc slides under some thick leaves. And off the fairway can get pretty nasty.
Ashe County Park is the best course in the state. I'd rather play that a couple of times than a few of the more boring courses in Charlotte. But Charlotte has a lot of courses, and several really good ones. If you want to pad your stats by adding 10 new courses, then Charlotte. If you want to play 2-3 amazing courses on amazing properties, with more time driving around and looking at the pretty leaves, then Boone.

Frank, I have approval to take you through the Valle Crucis course the Sunday you will be in Boone. Can also take you through Heritage Farm that afternoon. You will be exhausted, I promise you.

I can also offer advice in regards to Harmon Hills in Tennessee. Must play course!
And Ashe County Park in Jefferson, NC

Thanks again to everyone this trip is shaping up to be epic. Most of our travel plans are set (still looking for a place to rent for a couple nights near Boone), have a couple guys flying into Charlotte and the rest driving from MD. Our plan is

Thursday - Richmond Hill (decided to go to Asheville to see greensky bluegrass)
Friday - Harmon Hills
Sat - Ashe County
Sun - blackjack/heritage
Mon - Rolling Pines

I will give a trip recap.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Probably have room for just one more guest. This Saturday, NOT Sunday. Probably gonna be 9 or 10 of us total, but we can probably break into two groups or some of us play dubs. Send me a private message pronto if you want to join us. One or both courses as you are able.

Mark

It was really great meeting and throwing blackjack with you guys. We got lucky with the weather. You guys were exceptional guests. Appreciate you following all the course rules, wouldn't hesitate to take you through again, if you're ever back in the area!

Mark

Thanks again to everyone this trip is shaping up to be epic. Most of our travel plans are set (still looking for a place to rent for a couple nights near Boone), have a couple guys flying into Charlotte and the rest driving from MD. Our plan is

Thursday - Richmond Hill (decided to go to Asheville to see greensky bluegrass)
Friday - Harmon Hills
Sat - Ashe County
Sun - blackjack/heritage
Mon - Rolling Pines

I will give a trip recap.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
We are all waiting for your trip recap, on the edge of our seats, but not holding our breath.

You know, it really bothers me to see someone like MM go out of his way to share something that he considers special and not get the courtesy of a response.

I keep checking in for the recap, too, hoping he'll be at least half as long-winded as I am.
(And I'd have been all over his invitation to join in if it didn't coincide and conflict with my younger son's football schedule. We're almost done! Got a game in Charlotte this Saturday, and if we win, we go to Va. Beach for the regional championships. Win that, and we're off to Disney World for a week of games ending with a National Championship. Yes, I'm bragging a little. Pretty exciting time for a 12-year-old. And since we're killing time waiting for Mr. Manchette...)

RECAP!

Actually guys, I DID meet up with them, and we spent several hours playing at Blackjack. They had a great time, but unfortunately had a vehicle failure that complicated their return back home. They thanked me in person, and they were all extremely polite on the course. It's all good, They also enjoyed Harmon Hills a great deal.

I also had the pleasure of showing Riverdawg and a few of his friends through both Blackjack and Heritage Farm, just a week or so ago. They were outstanding guests, fun to play with, and were kind enough to show my cousin and I through the awesome Ramcat Ridge just a few days later. Another epic week of disc golf in the books, I am blessed to know good people such as MANDO, riverdawg, and Chad/Jim! Each of you have been too kind to me! I appreciate each of you!

Not the spot for it, but more awfully good people... David and Chris Sauls at Stoney Hill in SC. An immediate and unqualified entrant into my all time top 10 courses!!! Thanks so much to y'all for the hospitality last weekend.

Planning to visit the area the weekend of: Fri, Apr 19 - Mon, Apr 22.

In addition to a couple of highly recommended private courses I'm hoping to get onto, courses on my radar:
Panther Creek
Richmond Hill
Ashe County
Rolling Pines

Patriot DGC
Yadkin County
Deep Creek Dreams
Rockness Monster

I need to see how these string together and figure out of the drive times all make sense, and perhaps most importantly If/when the private courses are available, as that would impact my routing.

Depending on the responses I get on my PM's about the private courses I've inquired about, I might also look into a 2nd helping at Harmon Hills if I can work that in. I just hope the weather's decent and the courses aren't soaked from heavy rains in April.

Last edited:
Ashe County Park is a must do, as is rolling pines. I also highly recommend Heritage Farm, another private Boone course. There are other great options that I can't publically mention. I will do what I can to help you, but odds are that I can't personally take you, as I have usually done with others. I'll try to find another trusted person that can help.

Two rounds at Ashe County. The longs and the shorts---they're different enough to justify a second play, and you won't regret spending extra time there.

The next day, sleep in and recover.

Beyond that, PM Mark for his inside tips. He seems to spend a ridiculous amount of time playing the NC mountains, to the point of forgoing some SC courses he's been promising to visit.

Harmon has a casual event planned for 4/20. I would like to play there again myself. Let me know if you do and wouldn't mind the company.

Really wish that one private course in Boone was playing.

Rockness Monster is pretty great. Sasquatch is close by and is pretty great, also. Since you areout that way, you could play UNC's course in Chapel Hill. Played it recently for the first time and liked it a lot.

Edited to add that Rolling Pines is my favorite course. Also, if you are planning on Deep Creek Dreams, check out Cedarock and Wellspring, both in the same park in Burlington, not too far from Deep Creek Dreams.

Last edited:

Latest posts