• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

NC fall trip - Boone or Charlotte?

Yes she has a solitary carcinoid tumor. It's only 7mm but it's already obstructing air flow into one portion of her lung. Fortunately it's not a metastasis of her breast cancer. She's also going to have a PET scan in two weeks, to verify that nothing has spread anywhere. Her breast cancer was grade 3, and described as aggressive, breaking out of the lymph nodes into surrounding tissues.

The weather Sat morning was pleasantly cooperative. BlackJack is a challenging course, with unrellenting elevation that's pretty much always a factor, and some really beautiful vistas.

Heritage is a really nice track with oodles of tee shots that make you think, some Stan McDanielesque pin placements, and a few nice water carries. Both very pretty courses, but in very different ways.

Got a really mixed bag of weather in the afternoon for our round at Heritage: wind, sleet, rain, and snow... all during one round that only took about 2 hrs or so.

Really looking forward to better weather for Ramcat Sun!

Enjoy your morning at Ramcat with Jamie. It was good meeting you and your friends yesterday. The weather really was extraordinary until the final 30 minutes of play. The parking lots were very wet but the courses themselves were great. Tee pads had plenty of traction. I'm glad it worked out. Thank y'all for your course donations, exemplary behavior on the courses, and good conversation while we played. I had a lot of fun and hope you did as well.

Mark

Black Jack and Heritage are a wonderful combo of courses, albeit tough on the legs when played the same day.

Ramcat was a special treat. Wonderfully hilly, woods golf, that really rewards you for hitting your lines, or punishes you for missing them, with heartbreaking rollaway potential seemingly everpresent. Bonus points: Jamie's one of the most colorful and fun hosts you could ever hope to meet. Wonderfully accommodating and entertaining.

Ramcat marks a personal milestone for me:
300th course played (total listed courses, plus the temp tourney/unlisted ccourses on my profile page. It was a special treat to hit that milestone playing dubs with my partner Brother Dave vs. his brother and Jamie.

I can probably count on one hand, the number of courses I've that are better executed then Rolling Pines. Everything about it just seems like "This is the way DG should be."

Really enjoying some truly exemplary courses this trip!

Last edited:
It has been my honor and my pleasure to play some small part in making this a special trip for you. These are some of the special moments in my life, as well. And I appreciate everyone upstream of myself. The course owners, without them, none of this happens.

Rich, MANDO, I especially thank you as well, for everything. I think you know how important these very special, very beautiful, very spiritual places are to me. I am nothing without the places I love so much.

Mark

Black Jack and Heritage are a wonderful combo of courses, albeit tough on the legs when played the same day.

Ramcat was a special treat. Wonderfully hilly, woods golf, that really rewards you for hitting your lines, or punishes you for missing them, with heartbreaking rollaway potential seemingly everpresent. Bonus points: Jamie's one of the most colorful and fun hosts you could ever hope to meet. Wonderfully accommodating and entertaining.

Ramcat marks a personal milestone for me:
300th course played (total listed courses, plus the temp tourney/unlisted ccourses on my profile page. It was a special treat to hit that milestone playing dubs with my partner Brother Dave vs. his brother and Jamie.

I can probably count on one hand, the number of courses I've that are better executed then Rolling Pines. Everything about it just seems like "This is the way DG should be."

Really enjoying some truly exemplary courses this trip!

Was my pleasure Dwayne, Dave and John. So glad the weather cooperated for y'all. Weather like today is a gift.

Wonderful lamb roast after y'all left, then a 750ml EvilTwin imperial stout while icing my knee in the gazebo. Life is good![emoji106][emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On tap for tomorrow:
Ashe County.

Time permitting, I'll try to play Wood County Veterans Memorial Park (reds) in Parkersburg, WV. Looks like a good, short course, close to I-77, that ought to be perfect to stretch my legs legs about halfway home.

Thanks to everyone who played with me. Great courses are better when shared with friends! :hfive:

Mark, thanks again for showing us around Black Jack and Heritage Farms. You were a great guide and a good hang. You didn't have to accommodate us but it's appreciated. Sending positive vibes to you and yours. Tell Will not to horde the yellow-green discs too much, some of us like that color too. ;)

Jamie, you were indescribably awesome to play with. Your course leapfrogged into the top tier of my 170+ courses played, with ease. It was a pleasure meeting you and Fran. Sorry John knocked your cairn. He's a bull in a China shop, ha ha. Hopefully the next time I come by your way I will have remembered how to putt and hit a few less trees.

Dwayne, as always it was the bestest. Absolutely thrilled to have shared my RamCat experience with a fellow kugger. You played a lot of good golf this weekend! Thanks for putting up with a couple of yokels.

Rich, sorry we couldn't hang again amigo! Your weather concerns were valid and I'm completely understanding of why you didn't open Sugaree up for that weekend. You and Sugaree will always be in the upper echelon of my fondest DG/life experiences though and I'm glad to hear you're moving around better!

-----------------------------------

Saturday the weather was...thorough. Cold, drizzly, sleet, snow, and windy all over. The round at Black Jack was actually not bad save for how wet the ground was. I didn't have a problem with footing although I'm all ass and legs so I get around hills like a billy goat. But the weather didn't put a dent in the fun I had playing the course.

Heritage Farms was a treat. Now there, the weather just plain sucked but that course was thankfully full of steps and easy transitions to get around. Some really cool and beautiful holes. My favorite part was the 300' water carry where everybody thought my drive was going to land in the drink and I parked it. Had some real Doubting Thomas' in my ability on that hole, lol.

RamCat Ridge is just my kind of course. I'm glad we played doubles b/c it enabled me to let loose and play fancy free. Good thing b/c if I had played it straight up I would've been scrambling more than a Waffle House cook. I feel like all my drives were like a feet away from perfect (for me) but of course that foot was in the worst direction, lol. At least I got a few birdies from tree love. The biggest reason I'm glad we played doubles is that it gave me this classic John moment: On hole 1 my brother gave all of us a big "WTF?" reaction. He hasn't played doubles in forever and completely forgot immediately that you take the best drive out of the two so he walked up to his disc and blasted like a 70 footer for the deuce while his partner Jamie was walking to his lie that was easily better by like 30'. We were all like:
iu

Of course John was confused b/c he just made a killer upshot, ha ha ha. I think John made a big circle 2 putt on every hole 1 we played this weekend, that bastard.

Rolling Pines was a great choice for a cool down round. I think we were all getting the jelly legs in some form or another. I was pretty fresh but I had been sleeping on the floor for 2 consecutive nights so that played a part in my sucking probably. RP was in great shape and other than all of us butchering hole 12 (no disc left behind though, despite our best effort) and me having a mini-Locastro on hole 15 (squared up trees 50' away with my C-PD like 3 consecutive times) I think fun was had by all. It's always great to play a course with someone that also really appreciates a well-designed course like Dwayne.

Absolutely love the sum-it-up review of the weekend! Good times! Don't forget the Strings & Chings tournament at Heritage Farm August 23-24!

Hope we all get to throw again some day! Enjoyed it very much!

Just for the record, as much as I have enjoyed guiding around 70 people through various Boone-area courses, my health at this point does not allow for me to continue sharing the courses I love so much, with others. I just can't do it anymore, and it's for a reason I can't fully explain on a public forum such as this. I've enjoyed meeting and helping others these past few years, but I am having to give up these exhausting courses, myself. Sorry.

Just for the record, as much as I have enjoyed guiding around 70 people through various Boone-area courses, my health at this point does not allow for me to continue sharing the courses I love so much, with others. I just can't do it anymore, and it's for a reason I can't fully explain on a public forum such as this. I've enjoyed meeting and helping others these past few years, but I am having to give up these exhausting courses, myself. Sorry.
Did you lock your keys in the car ?

And therin lies the rub. Black jack is a stand-alone course, meaning if you are smart, you play it and nothing else that day, unless you are extremely fit.

And therin lies the rub. Black jack is a stand-alone course, meaning if you are smart, you play it and nothing else that day, unless you are extremely fit.

Which is what I'd do... if I lived in the area.
But I try to make the most of my vacation time, so I hit two courses a day on that trip.

Usually, it's three a day on road trips, but between the topography you guys have, and the fact that I ain't as young as I used to be, 3 a day was never gonna happen.

By the way, met a very nice young man named Noah from Johnson City, TN at the Toboggan today. Told him about my trip, and we talked about the courses in that area. He said Sugaree was his favorite above all the others. I so hope I get the opportunity to play it, one day.

Thread drift warning: I love asking players atcUSADGCwhere they're from, and telling them what my favorite courses in there area are... always ellicits smiles and their eyes light up. When I ask them what they think of the Toboggan, the most common words I hear are epic and incredible.

Last edited:
Yeah Noah is awesome. An outstanding person, an outstanding disc golfer. I met him at Sugaree probably 2.5 years ago. He's been to blackjack and heritage farm with me. He also comes down to Charlotte from time to time.

*adds "extremely fit" to dating profile without shame*
I've been struggling with "severe persistent eosinophilic asthma" - I start a new medication
Next week that will hopefully help, in time. www.fasenra.com

Sounds like fun. If you want any dietary advice feel free to PM me. I've had asthma since childhood and autoimmune issues and it's taken a less traveled path to improve on it for me.

Good luck regardless.

I've been struggling with "severe persistent eosinophilic asthma" - I start a new medication
Next week that will hopefully help, in time. www.fasenra.com

Hope you're able to win than battle!

Noah ended up finishing 2nd at USADGC. Obviously one helluva player, and an even nicer guy.

Even if Noah's 2nd Rd was as good as his others... no one was gonna catch Kyle.

Charlotte would be my choice for most of the year, but in the summer,I'd just as soon be in Boone.