• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Near "DG mecca", where to play?

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I am spending the week in Gastonia NC next week, home of Rankin Lake Park which I plan on playing but being so close to Charlotte and the motherland, I feel like I would be doing myself a disservice if I did not play there.

There are so many well ranked courses over there and I know most of them are aimed at the much better player than I am.

Any suggestions? I do not mind a challenge but I don't want to be screaming for mommy at the end either. :p

Hornet's Nest
Renaissance
Reedy Creek
Kilbourne

All fun - 1,3,4 are mostly wooded - perhaps better on a hot day

Thanks Craig, so pretty much cannot go wrong with the top ones?

I will probably pick the closest one.

Those are just the ones I've played - and they are all enjoyable.
I have also heard good things about Sugaw Creek

But yeah - you pretty much can't go wrong.

Renny, Sugaw and Hornet's Nest are all very close to the same distance from Gastonia. Sugaw is flat and shorter. Both Renny and the Nest have two layouts overlaid on each other - print out maps as the layouts can be confusing!

You can view narrated flyby videos of all of them if you want to get the best possible previews of the courses - links to these videos are included here on DGCR on the "links" tab on each course page (as are links to maps).

I would recommend Killborne. If you look at the map off here, it has changed slighty. Hole 1 has moved and joined forces with hole 2. Old 3-9 is now new 2-8, and there is a new 9. They have tried to get the course back to the original layout. There is also a new skillborne that overlays the original course. It plays much more difficult with a par of 70, distance about 8600'. The 2 new holes and the skillborne have natural tees for now.

I love Reedy Creek. But it's not that long, just tight and usually crowds on weekends or afternoons. Nice to play when it's hot as it is all wooded. Sugaw is a good course, bad neighborhood. It has a variety of open and wooded holes and is mainly flat. Elon Park is a great short course that is tight and technical. Renny is a beast. Hornets Nest isn't far behind. Take maps or hook up with a local.

Also a little bit of a drive from Gastonia is Stumpy Creek in Moorseville, it's a beast and bring hiking boots. There is also a private course in Davidson that is unreal. It's called Brackett's Bluff. It is beautiful and a challenge. The owner normally likes you to call in advance, and donations are accepted.

Enjoy!

Thanks!

I don't know how far I will be willing to drive, especially with Rankin literally across the street from the shop...seems like that will be the destination of choice for ease.

renny is well worth the trip, you will NOT be disappointed...i really like hornet's nest web layout a lot too...

Yes, and it does make the day go by faster when you can have a little fun along the way!!

I strongly urge you to play Timmons in Greenville either coming or going home. Easy to get to off the interstate and quick to play. A very fun course in a beautiful park.

Foothills is a longer and harder and more demanding course. Timmons is a lot more scenic and fun/relaxing. Both are really good courses. It just depends what you are in the mood for.

Thanks, Timmons is less off my route too, will probably do that one since my wife wants to play when I get home.

Yeah, I would also recommend Timmons. It's a really fun park with some great holes and some of that nice creek play without any real danger of losing a disc. Don't be tempted by any of the 9 holers nearby though!