• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

Also thinking using a bit of SC to thicken the dye further may be an option. Not much, but just enough to make it easier to design the bed. Even with detergent it's a bit runny with my mix. Maybe it just needs extra detergent, it is only three tbsps. Sorry had the thought and figured I'd post it.

My first attempt... I used Baby Shampoo base.... and then idye poly blue and yellow with yellow, blue, and purple punk color. It actually came out pretty nice. Around the edge, there are some almost like neon yellow colorings.

1526237_10100715445368936_398720072_n.jpg

Goose have you ever added acetone or alcohol to Punky Color? Vinegar? just curious if that would help get it onto the disc "brighter"...all my punky dyes come out more pastel, than bold, and your's seem a bit bolder.

My first attempt... I used Baby Shampoo base.... and then idye poly blue and yellow with yellow, blue, and purple punk color. It actually came out pretty nice. Around the edge, there are some almost like neon yellow colorings.

Very nice! :clap:

Well, just put a disc down... karo base, idye poly blue mixed w/laundry detergent, punky flamingo pink mixed w/a couple rrops of vinegar & detergent... letting it sit till tomorrow night.

Nice result. I like the idea of baby shampoo as well. Probably more manageable than the corn syrup. The corn syrup is just soooo thick. The disc only displaces it after the dye has been shoved around.

My camera is picking up too much white for some reason... the discs have almost zero white on them :|

My camera is picking up too much white for some reason... the discs have almost zero white on them :|

Those are looking sweet goose! :thmbup: anything new learned in the technique after doing a few? Also are these using idye or prochemical dyes?

These are using iDye with some punky for the spots. I don't know that I have learned anything other than.... you have no idea what the finished product will look like. This is even more so than the marbling effect that we learned last year.

Also... I have learned that if the plate is on an uneven surface that the dye will just be lighter on the other side.

I need to pick up more iDye ... I forgot how vivid that dye actually is.

These are using iDye with some punky for the spots. I don't know that I have learned anything other than.... you have no idea what the finished product will look like. This is even more so than the marbling effect that we learned last year.

Also... I have learned that if the plate is on an uneven surface that the dye will just be lighter on the other side.

I need to pick up more iDye ... I forgot how vivid that dye actually is.

Definitely give those dye carriers and wetting agent a shot when you get your sample pack. They really do seem to brighten up the dyes quite a bit. Im thinking the same colors might be able to be achieved as some of the punky color, and they may hold better. Im still curious about mixing those with Idye poly and seeing what we get as a result. I need more discs to dye though. Hopefully xmas helps out with that!

You're right about not knowing what you'll get till you pull it up. It's kind of exciting that way too. You can get some really interesting color combos using this method.

For sure... I haven't ordered mine yet. I'm going to after christmas. I just have so much old dye sitting around that I want to use up for the time being. I think that we are getting close. Not really sure that I will ever be able to achieve the same colors as Wondernut :/

I really thought that the dye on the tern was going to be a turd... got it out of the dye and I was amazed.

New idea...dishwashing gel for dish washers as the base. It hit me today when I was at the dollar store looking for more dish soap. I looked up and just seen it and was like...hmmmmnnnn...

Its way thicker than dish soap and laundry detergent but also it should allow a dye/detergent mix to sit well on top but still spread slightly. I picked some up and will be testing this in the next day. I will post my results.

So this is where I should of stopped (with the toothpick) It was looking pretty dope...I kept going though (damn my ocd!!! :wall:) Hopefully it still comes out well. I just blended it a lot more. I am gonna let it set for round 24 hours and see what I get.

But I think the dishwashing gel will work wonders compared to other bases for this technique. It's the perfect consistency and it makes the dye totally workable once you have your main dye bed layed out.

I still used laundry detergent for my dye mixture, just switched over to dishwashing gel for the base.

So this is where I should of stopped (with the toothpick) It was looking pretty dope...I kept going though (damn my ocd!!! :wall:) Hopefully it still comes out well. I just blended it a lot more. I am gonna let it set for round 24 hours and see what I get.

But I think the dishwashing gel will work wonders compared to other bases for this technique. It's the perfect consistency and it makes the dye totally workable once you have your main dye bed layed out.

I still used laundry detergent for my dye mixture, just switched over to dishwashing gel for the base.

Goodness that looks like it will be fantastic. Are those still the Prosperse dyes?

I cannot wait to see it. I need to get back into the experimenting again, but work has my brain fried. Audits are the bane of my existence.

Goodness that looks like it will be fantastic. Are those still the Prosperse dyes?

I cannot wait to see it. I need to get back into the experimenting again, but work has my brain fried. Audits are the bane of my existence.

I just wish I would of left it at that point. Should still look good, I just kept going with the toothpick and blended it a little more than I should of (maybe).

They are a combo of the prochemical dyes and part Pylam disperse dyes (I am testing out right now)

They sent me some free samples and I am giving them a go. I already know they take to the plastic this is just my first nebula dye using them. I also mixed them with the prochemicals dye carrier nsc and synthrapol (wetting agent)

Pylam makes a sick ass neon'ish yellow! Brightest I've seen in a normal disperse dye. Great for enhancing greens as well. I'm loving it! I cant wait to do another one of these. Think im realizing that more is less when spreading it out with the toothpick.

Cant wait to see the results of this one! What mold and base color is the disc to be dyed?

Cant wait to see the results of this one! What mold and base color is the disc to be dyed?

Me too. Gonna pull it tonight. Again that picture is from when I should of dropped the disc in. I did keep going with a toothpick and it blended a little more than I wanted. Hopefully it still comes out nice though.

The disc is a white discraft meteor