• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

One more thing odyssey..

do you know if hobby lobby or jo ann carries any type of vinyl that i can use for masking/stencils other than contact paper?

Sorry if i wasnt clear, i knew it wasnt the powder detergent but the only kind I found in the bottle was the white lotion looking one that is kinda gritty. I will look for the one you're referring to. Since I couldnt find any, i used baby shampoo as the base because it was thicker/more dense than the laundry detergent that I mixed my liquid idye poly with. I was also surprised that no dye took, it actually seemed to pool together which i thought was weird. I am dying prodigy 400s plastic which I have sucessfully dyed in the past.

That said, i have a few questions for you. first, do you think that dishwasher gel or karo syrup is best? Also, any alternatives would be appreciated bc what I used for a bed didnt seem to work. Also, when adding the dye/detergent mixture, should it just sit on the top of the bed or will it sink a little? and lastly, on a different subject, the worm dye you talk about, if I wanted to do the outside rim of a disc with a basic masking job do I just paint it straight on? is it liquid? if so how do you keep it on the disc surface? add a thickener? I checked online, i think bass pro carries the spike it brand in the store, but I dont see the quick coat. Does the spike it brand work? last question, do you know if gateway evolution plastic will take dye?

Few things to be aware of. The better the plate fits exactly to the disc the better off the dye will wrap around (surround the disc). I took my disc to the thrift store with me and matched up a few good plates. Also don't use too much for the base. It is normal for the dye mix to submerge slightly into the surface, but if you don't make too thick of a base the disc should still make contact with the dye. Make sure you are using enough dye mix with your laundry detergent (and not too much detergent). Also try to make sure you have a level surface you are working on. I recently started testing mine with a level since my room is extremely not level.

Your questions

1. Yes you can paint the worm dye straight on. It is very liquidy, pretty much water consistency. I had no need to add a thickener for my application I was using it for. I have only used it for doing spin dyes thus far so keep that in mind. I have not used it for painting or normal stencil dyes.
2. You can get quick coat at http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/. I have not personally tested the spike it brand but it seems to be doing well for others. Up to you.
3. I have not dyed any gateway evolution plastic so I am unsure about this. You might want to search around the forum. I believe their are a few threads out there where people list plastic that takes dye successfully.

do you know if hobby lobby or jo ann carries any type of vinyl that i can use for masking/stencils other than contact paper?

I don't know of any stores that sell quality vinyl for disc dyeing. I use the common one that most people use called Oracal 651. You can order it on ebay or many other sites.

Good luck! Remember a lot of the fun in disc dyeing is trial and error. It is a learning process.

Here's my latest... Pretty happy with the way it turned out :D This was a yellow dart. Came out very brainwavey as well. Not even what I was going for but I like it! I tried to go much easier with the blending on this one.

Awesome

That is fantastic. I am hoping I can at least put one down this weekend. I have been so busy.

Just to keep partially contributing at least, I am going for the look of a supernova gas cloud picture I saw online. I am sure it will take more than one bed to accomplish.

I am going to start with a blended bed of a couple blues spread kind of thin for the background. Then attempt to recreate some of the shaping in the brighter pinks, red, orange and yellow. My mind says it will work, so I am going to give it a try.

Nebula with worm dye. Spike it blue, quick coat red and chartreuse. The red didn't seem to stick. I used shampoo only and added dye directly to top of shampoo. Mixed design and set on top for about an hour

Attachments

• 2014-01-09 23.40.20.jpg
    2014-01-09 23.40.20.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 261
Nebula with worm dye. Spike it blue, quick coat red and chartreuse. The red didn't seem to stick. I used shampoo only and added dye directly to top of shampoo. Mixed design and set on top for about an hour

Came out pretty cool...I like the swirl effect you used. Maybe a little more time in the bed might do it some more justice.

It fits its name---Nebula. :clap:

Here's my latest... Pretty happy with the way it turned out :D This was a yellow dart. Came out very brainwavey as well. Not even what I was going for but I like it! I tried to go much easier with the blending on this one.

For the pylam dyes, are you using the water soluble or solvent soluble?

For the pylam dyes, are you using the water soluble or solvent soluble?

I believe they are the water soluble. I did not use any solvent. I know they are disperse dyes. Similar composition to idye. If you get in contact with Aaron at Pylam and tell him they are for dyeing discs, you can mention me too, he'll set you up with the right stuff. I did also mix these dyes with the dye carrier nsc and synthrapol (wetting agent) from the prochemicals sampler pack. Also added a little vinegar per the instructions that come with that sampler pack. I posted my measurements for all that in the alternative dyes thread if you need those to go off from.

The pic on top was before I washed the shampoo off. I wish I would have waited longer for dye to set in. Wanted to be cautious with it being the worm dye. I like the way it turned out but I think the top was waaay better

Attachments

• 2014-01-09 23.12.21.jpg
    2014-01-09 23.12.21.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 283
  • 2014-01-09 23.40.20.jpg
    2014-01-09 23.40.20.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 213
Did this twice. 2nd time the red stuck with the dishwasher gel. Thanks

Nice work. I like that. Maybe there is some potential using the worm dye as well. Did you wipe the stamp before doing the dye? I'm curious how a stamp would hold up using a worm dye/detergent mix or if the acetone would dissolve it. Looks good though!

The first one had a stamp that dissolved. The second had only a small piece of the stamp left. I did an sss wizard also with the stamp and the stamp was unaffected. Not sure if gateway uses different material for stamps. I have one more I did on a friends beat thumber. The second disc in the pic above was yellow. The pic attached to this was white

Attachments

• 2014-01-11 18.30.25.jpg
    2014-01-11 18.30.25.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 285
The first one had a stamp that dissolved. The second had only a small piece of the stamp left. I did an sss wizard also with the stamp and the stamp was unaffected. Not sure if gateway uses different material for stamps. I have one more I did on a friends beat thumber. The second disc in the pic above was yellow. The pic attached to this was white

Pretty cool results on this one. The dye spread pretty interesting on this one. Few questions for ya. How long did you leave this one in just out of curiousity? Also how many colors did you use to achieve these results? Was the dye mixed with laundry detergent?

The pic on top was before I washed the shampoo off. I wish I would have waited longer for dye to set in. Wanted to be cautious with it being the worm dye. I like the way it turned out but I think the top was waaay better

That first one looks just like one of those large multicolored bouncing balls.

Pretty cool results on this one. The dye spread pretty interesting on this one. Few questions for ya. How long did you leave this one in just out of curiousity? Also how many colors did you use to achieve these results? Was the dye mixed with laundry detergent?

I used the same colors (red, yellow, blue ) for this one. I left it in for about 7 hours. For the base I used gel dish detergent and a small layer of shampoo in some areas. The red seemed to not penetrate through shampoo last time but the gel I bought seemed too thick to make any design. Just ordered some more blue and I'm gonna try and attempt the circle dye with a compass and brush or modified spinning method. I was just in a tourney and picked up 2 new white discs. Also gonna do one more nebula. Will post results

The shampoo seems to let the dye spread more but the red dye was too heavy for it so I used shampoo in the middle where I wanted the blue and know the red would be too heavy and a combo on the outside of gel and shampoo

Latest posts