• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

Have one sitting in a bed of dishwashing gel & iDye Poly. Can't wait to get home & see how it worked out.

Mixed 1/2 teaspoon of iDye with maybe an oz of hot water, and added some laundry detergent to that
no other additions - hopefully I'll be able to post a pic when I get home.

Have one sitting in a bed of dishwashing gel & iDye Poly. Can't wait to get home & see how it worked out.

Mixed 1/2 teaspoon of iDye with maybe an oz of hot water, and added some laundry detergent to that
no other additions - hopefully I'll be able to post a pic when I get home.

Look forward to it :thmbup:

Anyone else have picz? I'm wondering if the brain wave is created by slightly tilting the disc as its sitting in the dye? Anyone try this

Anyone else have picz? I'm wondering if the brain wave is created by slightly tilting the disc as its sitting in the dye? Anyone try this

I haven't yet. My results on that dart were kind of by accident. I think a prolonged time in the gel has that effect on it naturally. That disc was in the bed for around 22 hours I believe. Think the gel starts to form dye lines or something. Like the dye is trying to creep outward towards the edges. I think it helps if you use a semi lightweight object to sit on the back of the disc and hold it tight on the bed. I have been using one of my lighter shot glasses to hold the disc down in the bed.

Personally I think the traditional brainwave has already been figured out in the brainwave thread using those techniques however, I would be curious to know if anyone has figured out an appropriate ratio to mix their own dye mix for a brainwave not using punky colour or manic panic. I have tried this several times with no decent results. I have tried laundry detergent and dye. Adding shaving cream. Shaving cream by itself. And a combination of the two. Seems close each time but no cigar. Either comes out too runny or way too thick to show any actual detail.

Here's my latest nebula I did for RK311 recently. It came out pretty cool although I think it overblended itself a little. Maybe because I used too much gel in the dye bed and maybe a few too many colors. Still pretty sweet I think though. Thanks RK311 for trusting me with your plastic! I hope you enjoy it. Dyed discs do always throw better :D

I tried out this method last night, using detergent as the bed and fabric softener as the carrier. I went far too conservative on the amount of dye, expecting it to spread much more (pic attached). It's a pink Nuetron Amp.

Currently I have a clear DGA SP Squall in a dye with red, blue, green, and purple - this time using much more dye, and making lines from the center out with a chemistry spatula. Since I can see through the disc I noticed there are a few decent sized air bubbles that I am afraid wont get any dye, but we'll see. I'll throw up a pic of that one up as well when it's done tonight around midnight.

Attachments

• 0118140910a.jpg
    0118140910a.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 159
Here's my latest nebula I did for RK311 recently. It came out pretty cool although I think it overblended itself a little. Maybe because I used too much gel in the dye bed and maybe a few too many colors. Still pretty sweet I think though. Thanks RK311 for trusting me with your plastic! I hope you enjoy it. Dyed discs do always throw better :D

very nice... I'm going to order dye tonight... I have 60+ discs to dye between February and march. I can't wait to get started!

very nice... I'm going to order dye tonight... I have 60+ discs to dye between February and march. I can't wait to get started!

Hell yea! Im jealous. I wish I had that much plastic to experiment on. I've taxed out every last disc I have thats worth trying this on. I need to step my game up :D Post some of your results please. I look forward to seeing them.

Couldn't upload my pics yesterday, as I went to see Clutch (love that band)... so, sorry these were delayed, but here are my two attempts:

ESPNukeNebula_zps7c262477.jpg

ChampValkNebula_zps3a705e8c.jpg

Last edited:
I'm thinking if you mix dye with the dishwashing gel, you may get some brainwavey affects - it seems like a good consistency for that technique. I may try it if I find a disc for a test.

the 2nd pic is a champvalk - pic does not do it justice - the red looks like flames, and the colors pop unlike any shaving crème champ disc I've done.

Couldn't upload my pics yesterday, as I went to see Clutch (love that band)... so, sorry these were delayed, but here are my two attempts:

ESPNukeNebula_zps7c262477.jpg

ChampValkNebula_zps3a705e8c.jpg

Links were broken in the post but I went to your photo bucket in the links to check em out. Very nice job! I like how they came out. Was that using dish gel and idye poly? Or was that prochemicals dye? Also how long did you let em set up?

Edit: nm I see you fixed the links

I wish I could get a better pic of the 2nd one - I'm really really happy with how it came out. It was an old champ valk, that had an old stencil dye on it already (I can actually vaguely make out the old stencil in the pic).

Here's my bro's grip line spike. Happy to see grip line plastic takes the colors quite well. Just wish my pure was a lighter color and not red.

I think im gonna dye my face this way :gross:..Maybe not sounds good... looks good on paper...I suppose??? :confused:

Here's DGA Squall that I used the Nebula method on. Could have stood even more dye, but I like the small areas of no color. I am not sure how it works with carriers other than fabric softener, but when I took the disc out like 95% of the dye/fabric softener came with the disc. I could spin it while it was in the base and it didn't mess up the dye becuase it was stuck to the disc. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing really.

Attachments

• 0119140931.jpg
    0119140931.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 191
Glow champion valk...Stamp didnt like the dish gel...Still glows well in the middle too

Latest posts