• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

"Nebula" Style Dye Tutorial

This is a blue Tournament Tursas. The nebula background was idye black, gun metal, green, kelly green, and brown.

I also tried an experiment on this disc. Perhaps everyone already knows this, but I noticed that SC and detergent tye dyes tend to take the color off some stamps (like the colored westside and prodigy stamps). So I put lines of regular, undyed SC on this stamp to see if just SC takes it off and it did. Its a way to kind of make your own "flag" stamps, just without the colors.

That Tursas is so clean. It's insane. Blew my mind!

What type of laundry detergent do you guys use for your dye mix? Is your laundry detergent clear too (guess that's what clean and clear means)?

Picked up two bottles of Dollar General dish washer gel! Gotta finish mixing the last colors of my idye poly and I'll be ready!

What type of laundry detergent do you guys use for your dye mix? Is your laundry detergent clear too (guess that's what clean and clear means)?

Picked up two bottles of Dollar General dish washer gel! Gotta finish mixing the last colors of my idye poly and I'll be ready!

You got it man. A lot of us use the "free and clear" one. I dont think it really matters as long as its clear though. You're on the right track. Please post results once you're done with some of your dyes.

You got it man. A lot of us use the "free and clear" one. I dont think it really matters as long as its clear though. You're on the right track. Please post results once you're done with some of your dyes.

I just use regular, not clear Tide. I have never noticed the color of the detergent having any effect on the color of the dye, or dyeing the disc so I never bothered to go find clear stuff.

Maybe Ill throw a white disc in just detergent and see if it takes at all. Even if it does, the idye so vastly overpowers the color of the detergent that I dont think it really has any effect.

Actually, I already know the answer. Non-clear detergent will not dye your disc (at least not champ-type plastic). You can see a bunch of areas on this Squall that had no dye, and were only sitting in detergent for 16ish hours, and those areas are still as clear as ever.

picture.php

Actually, I already know the answer. Non-clear detergent will not dye your disc (at least not champ-type plastic). You can see a bunch of areas on this Squall that had no dye, and were only sitting in detergent for 16ish hours, and those areas are still as clear as ever.

Thanks for the info guys!
Odyssey between you, Eky8, and Bennett, you guys have helped me so much. I will definitely post some pics when I get started. At this rate, I'll never get anything done with how much I prepare / analyze the process, trying to get everything perfect. I think I am just going to have to jump in and prepare for some ugly dyes.

i picked up 3 giant tubs of "dish washing machine gel" and got home before i realized it has a bleach derivative in it... won't that screw with the disc much less the stamp? I've got a g* destroyer in the test bed now and I'm worried.

i picked up 3 giant tubs of "dish washing machine gel" and got home before i realized it has a bleach derivative in it... won't that screw with the disc much less the stamp? I've got a g* destroyer in the test bed now and I'm worried.

I have no idea if that will mess with it. My guess is it wont' be as bad as you are thinking it may be (there can't be a very high concentration of bleach in that stuff, right?)

I guess you get to be the guinea pig :D

Show us the pic when you take it out.

Is that the DG Home brand?

it sat for about 24 hours, and i hate the results. this can't be the stuff you guys are using... I'm taking it back and buying more clean and clear.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 105
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 72
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 222
I think it's scary that some of those chemicals even exist in dish soap. That's going to leave at least a little that is then going to transfer to food. That's like dryer sheets that say "do not come into contact with skin..." What the hell? It's going to rub all over my cloths then soak into my skin if I sweat. I only keep free and clear cleaners in my home, but the wife is always asking "didn't I just buy new detergent? Are you using all our detergent to dye discs?!?!"

Well I just laid my first attempt at a nebula dye down. I did a bed of dish soap and a mix of idye Poly and laundry soap. Looking at the pan after about 30 min. I feel I should have either switched the solutions around or thickened the dye mix more. It already appears the dye has spread put to far... Its a learning experience and worse case scenario I have an ugly disc no one will ever steal lol

more of a multi stage 'brainwave' type dye but thought this one fit the thread. Just some blue and red and purple punky color on an awesome baby blue sidewinder with some real cool neon green swirly patches in the middle.
image.jpg