• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need ideas for instructional articles

common injuries/nagging ailments, and ways to avoid them/what you are doing incorrectly to cause them? i.e. elbow and shoulder pain from poor overhead shots, or something similar

putting with elevation changes, downhill vs uphill, factoring in diff wind directions, and disc selection ( in addition to other shots, but maybe a separate one for putting if its drastically different to explain )

how to get the desired effect of your roller shot

how to prepare for a tournament

maybe eventually, a list of any shot variations you would use, and a tutorial, possibly with pics or vid of how to execute them? (not sure to what extent youre looking for ideas, are you looking for instructional things for all experience levels?)

An advanced article dealing with the things you have to do/get right in order to throw a putter 300 feet.

SkaBob said:
An advanced article dealing with the things you have to do/get right in order to throw a putter 300 feet.

Slight hyzer angle and throw it higher in the air. start with trying to get the disc to fly about 30 feet off the ground.

I think you will be surprised with the result.

SkaBob said:

if you are throwing a putter 300 ft how far should your drivers be going?

I'd personally like to see an article covering different putting techniques, explaining their strengths and weaknesses, with some videos to illustrate.

For example, I guess Nate Doss uses a push putt, he seems to be dead nuts for the most part, but he also seems to get a lot of roll-aways. I personally use a similar method, and it doesn't translate (for me) well to jump putts.
Climo and Locastro use that straight arm, straddle putt. They're obviously both very good at it, and using the jump putt with the style seems very natural. But, opening the underside of the disc to the wind by using a hyzer might be a problem at times. This style might also create issues with long putts with low ceilings, as well as "thread the needle" type putts that push putting seems to lend itself to.

Etc.

SirRaph said:
I'd personally like to see an article covering different putting techniques, explaining their strengths and weaknesses, with some videos to illustrate.... Etc.
DisCap is starting an indoor putting H.O.R.S.E. league since we're so snowed under and to play weeknights when it's dark. The proposed rules say we randomly rotate through different throws. A list of all of the grips and putting techniques would be helpful.
Here's what we've got so far:
Straddle, Turbo, Hyzer, Anhyzer, Flick/Forehand, Off Hand, Blind/No Look.
I know a lot more grips: Jump Putt (can be used with many grips). Air Bounce. Freestyle Set Up. Thumber. Backward Thumber. Hooked Thumb. Overhand (AKA Overhand Wrist Flip. May be the Grenade). Underhand (used to be on Frisbee directions). Freestyle Chicken Wing. Freestyle Two Hand Slap (can be used with many grips). The Finger (A backhand variation good for high releases; similar to Bonopane). One finger. Knuckle-bee (one handed no spin, many grips). Loaf of Bread (Two hand Straddle with almost no spin; my wife never misses with it).

Ever since as a kid when I learned that other people are left handed, I've taught myself to use both hands for just about everything. In ball golf I carry 2 lefty clubs, in addition to 12 righties. Using both hands is huge in Ultimate, which I played for decades.

In disc golf it's all about spin direction. Although I know over 30 ways to throw a disc I find that in disc golf you only need two: a CW and a CCW. All CW throws go from left to right across the thrower's body. All CCW throws go from right to left across the thrower's body. Doesn't matter which hand you use.

That means if an obstacle is in the way of your stance and throw on your immediate left, it will hinder all CW throws. An obstacle on your immediate right will hinder all CCW throws.

Most people spin a disc CW with RHBH and CCW with RHFH. Another option for CCW is LHBH. It is pretty easy to learn LHBH, because it is like batting right handed in baseball. And you know how to throw the back hand right handed so you can teach yourself the left hand BH.

Fastest way to learn is cold turkey, lefty drives only. And of course the practice field. I am still studying overhead throws....

Ven, your post only applies to overstable discs. When throwing something like a Comet, it's no problem at all to go completely the other way.

SkaBob, thanks for your reply, but no one can throw a RHBH with CCW spin. You can throw RHBH with a flight path that anhyzers, and falls away from the spin. For obstacles beyond 6 feet, you can hyzer around one way or anhyzer around the other. I think you need two throws, one CW & one CCW, in case there are obstacles immediately in the way of your stance. It is easy for righty's to learn LHBH because of batting in baseball. Much easier than learning a RHFH.

I am still studying upside down throws. When they flip over it switches the spin from CW to CCW or vice versa. I think I am finally getting the concept of what turnover is, and how it contributes to extra distance.

JR said:
cornelius said:
SkaBob said:

if you are throwing a putter 300 ft how far should your drivers be going?

Look in the 400' thread :)

I'm having a hard time finding this thread and for some reason the search isn't working. I think I'm at this point of throwing my putters 300+

The search is limited to 4 letters or more i think. Why? There is no 400' thread it was a joke. The 300' thread gives enough info in a disjointed way to reach 400' as long as you have enough body guidance control, form, timing and muscle power and nervous system speed. Naturally some aspects of those are covered better elsewhere sprinkled around.

I am really really really garbage at those ~75 foot putts. For me it is too far for a jump putt but feels very awkward to power down and make a throw at it. I usually can get up and down, but I almost never give it a chance to go in at this range. Lately I've tried employing a little of what Feldy does sometimes, which is a long jump putt released on an anhyzer so it goes a little farther. Anything you could cover on this would be awesome, never seen a lesson about this range.

There have been threads where this is talked about. Get the knees pointing to front and sides and squat down far enough to allow the hand and disc to move to beside or behind the left ankle and emphasize the leg jump forward and up and raising the hips to straight up standing stance and raise the arm at lest forehead height Before release. I've thrown to 100'+ this way with a putter. If you make a hybrid throw/jump with a light mid by starting with a reach back and finishing with a jump putt you'll get even farther. My record with a 150 mid is 207' but i lose any sort of consistency at around 150'.

Latest posts