• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

The "Incomplete" Secret Technique

Years after doing the sidearm drill and getting the repeatable 250' up to 300' on a good throw from it (thanks Blake for this drill it is excellent) I finally decided to practice a sidearm a bit over the last week - i had never practised it outside of rounds previously as once the drill clicked it was just so easy to flick straight drives out there.

It was time though to try to get a bit more out of it, an extra 30' could just bring a load more birdies my way.

Field practise was good but not really adding much in terms of distance just aiding the consistency.

I have just been out for a round at lunchtime throwing a few shots on holes and had a revelation with it. I was watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_Bc6QpzZS4&feature=share the other day of my friend Tapani who has a beautifully easy flicked forehand and he seemed to be cocking his wrist beyond neutral (the position from where I have done the bounce previously) to actively open so the disc appears to be dragging behind him up until the ferocious disc pivot at the end through a full 180 . I thought I would give it a go and it gave me an immediate 20 meter jump and put me into putting range on a hole I could only ever previously reach with an anny backhand (360' uphill tight OB right and left near the basket.

I had worried this extra opening was going to make me start rolling the wrist or possibly even slow down the pivot but it was so good I am an hour late back from lunch 'cause I just couldn't stop throwing!

Now i just need to find a similar click on the old backhand, i did have some griplocked throws that turned into longer hyzerbombs than my flat throws today which was promising and felt strong so it looks like i am slipping and on my best shots maybe half slipping - I managed to find the same feeling of the griplocked throws on one flat throw and it absolutely crushed until it hit some trees beyond the basket - not sure how far it would have gone otherwise but was still travelling straight and the trees are 330' from the tee - unfortunately by then I really did have to go back to work - can't wait to get out and try it again though!!

Tapani is a very strong man. lcgm8 said he has a background in decathlon.

I busted up my arm with fh field practice and a doctor said to me that after having a surgery my arm wil not handle the stress of hard fhs grr. I applied the hammer drill to pre throw routine in field practice only on the plane i was planning to throw on and started the throw by doing a moderate flick forward of the disc taking the steps and bringing the wrist back as far or almost in the reach back the again whipping the wrist forward for even more power than what is available with your form. Sure there are more moving parts and timing issues but staying relaxed it came to me naturally. YMMV. There is more tendon stretch for more plyometric loading pre snap and unloading during the snap. Unfortunately i need to switch arms if i plan to throw hard fh so nope that door is closed to me for life. Because i'd rather keep on outdistancing lhfh with rhbh.

Seeing the benefits fh i tried the same bh. I lack muscles and tendon strength to get as much benefit but it is still there. Too bad it went away so there is reason for me to practice that so that it becomes automated. good times ahead once my arm heals.

Yup, he used to throw a lot of javelin, I am very jealous of his tomahawk :0)

I have been fortunate never really to have much pain from sidearm so hopefully this will continue, today felt exactly the same as before just the disc was rocketing of the fingers a lot quicker. I'm very excited to get out and try this more.

I've got a baby on the way in September though so don't know why I am bothering as that will probably keep me out of the game for another 18 months :(

Latest posts