• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Need more distance

topdawgy58

Par Member
I have been working on my back hand, working on form and throwing different discs and weights. I can throw my Sidewinder and my Champ Beast the farest about 200 feet. I still would like to get more distance like 25o to 300 feet is my goal. What can I do to reach this ASAP. Thanks :)

Just keep working on your form. Concentrate on keeping the nose down. And try to be fluid not herky jerky.

The Disc Golf: Learn to Play the Champions Way: Disc Golf Fundamentals DVD is really good and definately worth it. I gained 50' the first day, week later almost up another 50'. I was around 220 and now im hittin 300 and know it will only get even better. If you subscribe to Flying Disc Magazine you can get the DVD for like $5 bucks and two year sub for $34 i think.

No, Climo & Feldberg. They break down the backhand drive really well.

the main thing that helped me is find a good disc that works with your style and arm speed and just go out and pracitice the x-step for rhbh throws.. that got me to about 350' :)

I agree with everything posted so far - only this to add: gotta get that snap off the release. I'm not familiar with the videos, but I'm sure they talk about this. The snap gives your disc spin, and thus more distance, not to mention more of what the disc is "supposed" to do in terms of turn and fade. Once I found myself creating the snap (for me just time and practice, no conscious effort to produce a snap), I added 50' right there. Good luck!

+2 to dan beato! he goes through the drive from the hit back and you will learn a lot.

Each time that I play I work on my form. There is always room for improvement. First start with your release point and arm angle. When you let go on a drive, let go at about shoulder height with the nose pointed slightly down. From experience, this will keep it hugging low to the ground. The higher above the ground it goes, the less distance you will get. Unless you use a disc that you want to anhyzer. Otherwise keeping it low will help out quite a bit. Next, work on your run up. This can give you an extreme gain on distance. When you run up and let go, lean more forward so that when you let go your opposite leg of your throwing hand come up off the ground. After everything starts falling together, work on getting lots of spin. Spin will help the disc stay up in the air at lower speeds. After working on this for 2 years, I can throw almost 450 on a great day.

Each time that I play I work on my form. There is always room for improvement. First start with your release point and arm angle. When you let go on a drive, let go at about shoulder height with the nose pointed slightly down. From experience, this will keep it hugging low to the ground. The higher above the ground it goes, the less distance you will get. Unless you use a disc that you want to anhyzer. Otherwise keeping it low will help out quite a bit. Next, work on your run up. This can give you an extreme gain on distance. When you run up and let go, lean more forward so that when you let go your opposite leg of your throwing hand come up off the ground. After everything starts falling together, work on getting lots of spin. Spin will help the disc stay up in the air at lower speeds. After working on this for 2 years, I can throw almost 450 on a great day.
i was going to suggest something but no need just listen to this dude he knows w.t.f. hes talkin bout

I have been working on my back hand, working on form and throwing different discs and weights. I can throw my Sidewinder and my Champ Beast the farest about 200 feet. I still would like to get more distance like 25o to 300 feet is my goal. What can I do to reach this ASAP. Thanks :)

Find some videos on youtube, or Discgolfreview and copy their form and motion. Best way to gain distance is just imitate what better players are doing. Practice makes perfect, and by practice I mean open field throwing driver after driver. Much more effective then playing rounds.

When you let go on a drive, let go at about shoulder height with the nose pointed slightly down. From experience, this will keep it hugging low to the ground. The higher above the ground it goes, the less distance you will get.

This isn't entirely true... you want to keep the nose down so that the disc doesn't stall out but after that you can throw it pretty much as high as you need. True distance lines get up to 60' or higher.

height is different for everybody, depending on how much torque you can put into the disc. Some throw high, others keep it low, find what works for you and stick with it.

Well I must be getting better because I shot a -6 at Hornings upper course sunday. I have never even broke even neverless though I could shot -6. I did not want to look at my score til I was done because I did not want to choke.

Practice practice practice. Go to a field and throw until your arm falls off. Pick up your arm, go home, re-attach it, wait for it to heal, then go back to the field and throw until your arm falls off. Repeat several hundred times, and you'll be throwing 300 ft, guaranteed.

Also, try finding some big arms at a local course to play a round with, you will learn a lot.

Distance is ultimately gained by getting your hips and torso working to generate a very fast and powerful shoulder rotation. Try beginning with your throwing shoulder facing away from the throwing direction, and do a full 360 shoulder rotation on the follow through to end up with the throwing side shoulder pointing away once again at the end. Shift your weight onto your plant foot as you do this, with your hips leading the way first. Good pivot and weight over the plant foot, and light but firm footwork are necessary. Timing is everything...the shoulder pulls the arm forward only after the hips and torso start to rotate open. Keep the disc close to your chest on pull through and whip your arm out driven by a violent acceleration of the shoulder turn as your chest rotates toward the direction facing the target. Your arm is then a whip, and all the speed and energy you generated goes into hitting it hard just before the disc rips out of your fingers and you pull through the snap.

I've been working on this for about 6 months (back then I was also throwing 200 ft or so), and I crossed the 300 ft barrier recently...I'm beginning to approach 350 ft now, and playing disc golf is more fun than ever!

Last edited: