• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Needing a new putter

tonsoffun49

I've only been playing for about a year now. I have always used Aviar putters and a new Aero that I just got. I met a guy at my home course a few days ago that was using a Vibram putter that was super flexible and gripped anything that it touched. I threw it a couple times and loved it, no more skipping the green pads (almost the entire course has cement around the basket). Naturally, I didnt ask him which putter it was.

A lot of people recommend MVP. I know I want something soft and flexible, that will grip basket pads and is more stable/understable.

So Vibram Summit or something MVP? Or is there something else I should try?

Be prepared for the anode train! But yup soft anode is worth a shot. Soft and grippy, the best driving putter around for sure.

There's no good answer. Putter choice is very individualized and everyone will tell you something different. If you liked the Vibram putter you used, there's no need to try anything else. Get yourself a Summit and don't look back.

Anodes are great but the bottom of the rim is made out of the same plastic as the flight plate/core, which means it won't stick to the cement around the baskets quite as well as Vibrams. Doesn't matter much which putter you use.

Anodes are great but the bottom of the rim is made out of the same plastic as the flight plate/core, which means it won't stick to the cement around the baskets quite as well as Vibrams. Doesn't matter much which putter you use.

Cement around the baskets? I've never played a course with cement around the baskets...

Everyone is right and all you are going to get is I use this......
Your best bet is to go somewhere and feel up a bunch of putters. Most will perform the same in the circle. Do you want to have multiple putter molds? This are questions that you should ask yourself when selecting a putter. There is no other disc that is as important in your bag.

Thanks for the replies. Josh gave me the answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure about the anode because I have never seen one or felt one. The only pro shop around here is on the other side of the city that I am on and have not had a chance to go there yet. Not even sure if they carry MVP or Vibram. I wont buy anything till I can at least feel them in my hand. Wont make that mistake twice. Just curious what others thought.

I've only been playing for about a year now. I have always used Aviar putters and a new Aero that I just got. I met a guy at my home course a few days ago that was using a Vibram putter that was super flexible and gripped anything that it touched. I threw it a couple times and loved it, no more skipping the green pads (almost the entire course has cement around the basket). Naturally, I didnt ask him which putter it was.

A lot of people recommend MVP. I know I want something soft and flexible, that will grip basket pads and is more stable/understable.

So Vibram Summit or something MVP? Or is there something else I should try?

Ah yes, we must be referring to Blendon? Actually asphalt and not concrete, but still will tear up a soft disc. Go with a Medium (stiff) Gateway Magic or a Vibram putter. MVP discs are great, but none of them will hold up to Blendon, assuming that is the course you are referring to.

Thanks for the replies. Josh gave me the answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure about the anode because I have never seen one or felt one. The only pro shop around here is on the other side of the city that I am on and have not had a chance to go there yet. Not even sure if they carry MVP or Vibram. I wont buy anything till I can at least feel them in my hand. Wont make that mistake twice. Just curious what others thought.

Pro shop on Riverside by Griggs has both MVP and Vibram. Mike and Jeremy are also the two guys that work the "booth" at Blendon, and Jeremy uses nothing but Vibram for this reason.

I know it's a dumb question, but do you throw a heavier and/or softer putter for windy days? I'm pretty new, and my 160 Dart and 170 Aviar just get blown all over, making putting a nightmare for me when the wind is up (>15-20mph). Thank you.

I know it's a dumb question, but do you throw a heavier and/or softer putter for windy days? I'm pretty new, and my 160 Dart and 170 Aviar just get blown all over, making putting a nightmare for me when the wind is up (>15-20mph). Thank you.

Something heavy and overstable. FLX challenger is good for wind. Wizard is good. Ion is not bad either.

If you like your Aviar why not try an R-Pro Aviar? I THINK there all beadless and fly just like P&A Aviars. I LOVE mine. Although I also love my Vibram Ridge. If they came in soft I would only use that. Also Vibrams are made to be less glidey. They wont go far past the basket.

Omega SS or a Vibram...both durable and will tend to roll/bounce less. MVPs are really very durable but even the softs are stiff enough that they may be an issue for you on those concrete greens. Sucks to have to deal with that. I'd say just find a putter that flies how you like it, and buy a few of them since your course will be beating them up a bit. Feel and flight will be more important to you in putting success, rather than qualities that come into play after putting failure.

Latest posts