• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Never needed power tools before...

ninjalectual1

Considering the potential for things to go wrong, this actually worked out quite well. Not that it was all that likely for anything to go wrong, but if something did, I expect it would have gone very wrong.

I got a new Opto Pure, and like others here have reported, it came with an obnoxious amount of extra flashing on the outside edge, and the consensus here is that it's best to remove it.

The guys at Latitude 64 weren't kidding around when they made their Opto blend, that is some seriously hard, resilient plastic! My hand sanding operation was progressing too slowly [not to mention too boringly], and meanwhile it's too beautiful and warm and sunny outside, and I'm too excited to get out and THROW this new disc that I expect to fall in love with very soon.

So, obviously, the solution was to fix a fine sanding head on my dremel, dial in the lowest available RPM (I have a relatively nice model that goes down to 5k), and BAM! Five minutes later, this thing's edge-flush and ready to fly!

What effect does that extra ridge have on its flight? I threw it a few times yesterday with the flashing still on, and it seemed to have noticably less distance and more fade than the other Pure I've thrown, a fuly beat-in base plastic (Zero?) that a friend uses as his main putter. Though if Opto/Zero is like Innova's Champ/DX, that could also explain the extra overstability, and the shorter distance could well have been a personal issue not due to the disc at all. So what exactly does the flashing DO, besides be uncomfortable in your hand?

If I can notice any difference in its flight I'll file my results with the appropriate authorities immediately.

Flashing increases drag coefficient. In other words, it robs you of speed and glide while simultaneously causing your disc to fly more overstable than it should.

I've hated the sharp flashing I've had with every Pure (Opto, GL, Zero Medium, etc). For me, flashing increases stability and decreases glide (or perceived glide). I also find Zero Medium to be less stable and having more glide than Opto. So you got hit with a double whammy of dumpy and overstable if you are comparing brand new Opto to beat in Zero Medium.

I prefer a razor blade, you can be very accurate and it doesn't leave a sanded feel. A quick once around the flashing and you'll see it peel off like a strip.

That "peeling off like a strip" would have been nice! I initially started with a razor blade, but the job was so messy I needed to sand it to clean it up. The power tooled finish is completely smooth, though, as far as I can perceive.

I had a bad experience with a Lat64 River, I got it in Frost plastic thinking it was Opto, not realizing that Frost doesn't have any glide really, but I got another one in actual Opto. Today is going to be a good Lat64 day!

That "peeling off like a strip" would have been nice! I initially started with a razor blade, but the job was so messy I needed to sand it to clean it up.

Yeah it can take a bit of practice - you have to sort of lay the blade flat with the long part perpendicular to the disc edge. Give moderate pressure and move it slowly around the rim - if you are doing it right, you'll see the little strip of plastic that you shaved off fall off the razor blade. I hate flashing; especially on Opto/Champ/Z/etc. It can take months and months to wear it off naturally.

I got a new Opto Pure, and like others here have reported, it came with an obnoxious amount of extra flashing on the outside edge, and the consensus here is that it's best to remove it.
Pure is one of the few molds that has really bad flashing on the outside of the rim, not to mention the similar flashing at the bottom of the rim. So at least yours was a pretty std Opto Pure. :)

What comes to the flight, the bottom flashing does indeed increase the stability quite a lot. However, I've never heard of any decisive statement on the effects of the outer rim flashing apart from comfort issues.

And yeah, exacto blade will work wonders especially on the outside rim flashing.

Just be careful when cleaning up the flashing on the bottom.
Opto pures have a micro bead.

I've hated the sharp flashing I've had with every Pure (Opto, GL, Zero Medium, etc). For me, flashing increases stability and decreases glide (or perceived glide). I also find Zero Medium to be less stable and having more glide than Opto. So you got hit with a double whammy of dumpy and overstable if you are comparing brand new Opto to beat in Zero Medium.

I gave up throwing the pure after too many examples of awful flashing.

I've noticed that Kestaplast obviously uses a Dremel type rotary sanding tool to remove the pop-out point ("nipple") from the underside of their discs. At first I didn't like it simply on principal, but it does make a nice little pocket to spin my disc on when standing around. :thmbup: :D

I had a bad experience with a Lat64 River, I got it in Frost plastic thinking it was Opto, not realizing that Frost doesn't have any glide really, but I got another one in actual Opto. Today is going to be a good Lat64 day!

Any day throwing a good River is a good day. :)

Latest posts