• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New Bag company LBBAGS

This isn't Rocket Surgery... just make a smaller bag that competes price-wise with Squatch/Grip...ect.

Don't try and reinvent the wheel. Why have the water bottles inside the pockets? Or overthink it?

Just stop...

Trim it down as much as you can to get the price around $250. Charge extra for "accessories" and "custom colors".

Just give us a damn quality American made bag we can all afford that is practical. People will buy it over the competition if we can justifiably afford it.

This isn't Rocket Surgery... just make a smaller bag that competes price-wise with Squatch/Grip...ect.

Don't try and reinvent the wheel. Why have the water bottles inside the pockets? Or overthink it?

Just stop...

Trim it down as much as you can to get the price around $250. Charge extra for "accessories" and "custom colors".

Just give us a damn quality American made bag we can all afford that is practical. People will buy it over the competition if we can justifiably afford it.

Why have the water bottles inside the pockets? Because he's experimenting with different formats. He clearly has a vision with how slim he wants the backpack and I'm honestly I agree with him, putting water bottles on the outside puts unweeded stress on the seams that attach the pockets to the bag, it throws off the weight distribution and especially if you're talking about a 40 oz bottle, that's all stuff that has to be accounted for. Trust the process, let him get the next few protos out then make your judgement call. Like any product it needs to be tweaked, it's not reinventing the wheel. As for the 250 price point, being affordable and comparing it to squatch? American made and a lower price point don't go hand in hand usually. And squatch is most likely made in china to hit that 260 price point.

Why have the water bottles inside the pockets? Because he's experimenting with different formats. He clearly has a vision with how slim he wants the backpack and I'm honestly I agree with him, putting water bottles on the outside puts unweeded stress on the seams that attach the pockets to the bag, it throws off the weight distribution and especially if you're talking about a 40 oz bottle, that's all stuff that has to be accounted for. Trust the process, let him get the next few protos out then make your judgement call. Like any product it needs to be tweaked, it's not reinventing the wheel. As for the 250 price point, being affordable and comparing it to squatch? American made and a lower price point don't go hand in hand usually. And squatch is most likely made in china to hit that 260 price point.

Whatever he's making is going to be considerably smaller than a Squatch though, so I think it's realistic to think the price point might be that of a much larger bag like a Squatch, but higher quality materials. That said, I'm not sure Squatch or Grip is the right comparison in price point...folks who want to carry a big bag like a Squatch or Grip A-Series (I'm assuming the "grip" in question meant A-series) aren't likely to buy a bag from Pound that's higher quality but holds far fewer discs. People tend to think the opposite way...how big of a bag do I need? Ok now let me look at options.

Frankly, Squatch should be irrelevant as he already has a bag very similar to a Squatch. The bigger focus in terms of price point should be in identifying the sized bag this new bag will compete with, and maintaining a rough price ratio (since we already know Pound bags can sell for double their counterparts, it seems reasonable to assume you can find the bag of a similar size and assume you can roughly double the price of that bag for the higher quality materials and personalization).

Why have the water bottles inside the pockets?

I put my Pound bottle holders inside the pockets of my Ridge, it balances the weight so much better. I can't stand using the actual bottle holders that are on the outside of the pockets, it's quite a bit more cumbersome. I think it's actually a really smart solution

I put my Pound bottle holders inside the pockets of my Ridge, it balances the weight so much better. I can't stand using the actual bottle holders that are on the outside of the pockets, it's quite a bit more cumbersome. I think it's actually a really smart solution

What I'm saying is why even have that much storage on a "smaller" bag?

Strip it down while keeping the quality. The more material he uses, the higher the cost.

Hell.. have the putter pocket and a little zipper pouch up top... a main disc area for 12-15... and 2 stretchy side pockets on either side...

not everyone needs to carry two 40oz bottles everytime they play...or have enough storage for 2 winter coats.

If you're gonna make a smaller bag...just do that. 90% of disc golfers are casuals.... tease me with a U.S.A sourced and produced $200 quality backpack DAMMIT

FWIW I like the storage options of the rufus. I had an older grip C series (because I liked the dedicated waterbottle holder better than the dual purpose pocket.) But quickly found out having no storage pockets at all really sucks. Where do I keep a towel during those winter rounds? What about those tweener season rounds where you start off needing a hat/gloves then later in the round you don't? Where do I toss a snack or keep my rainfly when we want to play 2-3 rounds in a row?

Empty pockets add almost no weight to the bag, even better if they have a cinch strap like the octohauls you can even make them take up pretty much the same footprint as not having the pocket. Levi mentioned he's playing around with different methods of making the pockets too in order to keep the cost of them lower vs the Octo pockets. Rarely (if ever) do I come close to filling the pockets on my octohaul, but at the same time after using it for about a year, I love that I can have 1 pocket zipped open with a towel easily accessible, 1 pocket for snacks during those morning rounds when I skipped breakfast before league. 1 pocket for drinks and 1 pocket zipped shut with my keys/wallet/rainfly/disc retriever stuff.

Strip it down while keeping the quality. The more material he uses, the higher the cost.

Hell.. have the putter pocket and a little zipper pouch up top... a main disc area for 12-15... and 2 stretchy side pockets on either side...

not everyone needs to carry two 40oz bottles everytime they play...or have enough storage for 2 winter coats.

If you're gonna make a smaller bag...just do that. 90% of disc golfers are casuals.... tease me with a U.S.A sourced and produced $200 quality backpack DAMMIT

I get what you're saying now. But I think GripEQ did the legwork for them on that already with the first gen C series, and the majority of people don't want bags that have no/minimal side storage.

Also, I really don't think this bag will be $200. If I were a betting man, these are starting at $250 for 'stock'

The bigger focus in terms of price point should be in identifying the sized bag this new bag will compete with, and maintaining a rough price ratio (since we already know Pound bags can sell for double their counterparts, it seems reasonable to assume you can find the bag of a similar size and assume you can roughly double the price of that bag for the higher quality materials and personalization).

This makes the right point. Once you've played for a while, you know how many discs you typically bag (+/-, based on conditions). You also know how much water, snacks, equipment and other paraphernalia you typically want to have along on the typical round (again, +/-).

It's easy to buy a "too big" or "too small" bag before you really know what you carry, but once you do know, then it makes sense to compare features, quality, price, US vs foreign manufacture, etc. in the size range you need.

But if you're looking at bags hoping they'll "carry enough discs that I might need to carry", you're always gonna end up in the same cul-de-sac of big backpacks: Premium or midprice or cheap.

I'm going to guess there just isn't a lot of demand for "high quality bag that carries very few discs and has little/no storage" for $200.

What you're asking for is essentially a Grip C-Series...and that sells for $180. Typical pound bags are going for double what Grips do at an equivalent size. (14 disc main slot, side pockets, etc).

90% of disc golfers are casuals, but even casuals tend to carry a LOT of discs. And the more casual you are, typically the more price sensitive you are as well. In my experience, most folks who want that kind of small size simply go for a super cheap bag because they are casual. Pound bags quite clearly aren't targeting "casual" disc golfers...casual folks tend to not pony up the money for premium products.

To answer your question of "why" though...because whether you carry 40 discs or 12, your desire for water or other kinds of storage doesn't really change. If I play in changing temperatures and want to carry space for a coat...that has no impact on carrying 12 or 40.

90% of disc golfers are casuals, but even casuals tend to carry a LOT of discs. And the more casual you are, typically the more price sensitive you are as well. In my experience, most folks who want that kind of small size simply go for a super cheap bag because they are casual. Pound bags quite clearly aren't targeting "casual" disc golfers...casual folks tend to not pony up the money for premium products.

Not sure I agree with your conclusion here. Obviously the vast majority of players are indeed casual, but there are a ton of casual players who want the comfort, custom color combo, or made in USA bags, or are just "gear queers" (can we still say that?) who have to have the most expensive premium stuff for whatever their current hobby is, regardless of how bad they are at it.

Last edited:
Not sure I agree with your conclusion here. Obviously the vast majority of players are indeed casual, but there are a ton of casual players who want the comfort, custom color combo, or made in USA bags, or are just "gear queers" (can we still say that?) who have to have the most expensive premium stuff for whatever their current hobby is, regardless of how bad they are at it.

Yes, but at least in my experience, those don't tend to be the folks who say "I just wanna carry a few discs and have no storage".

Frankly, I just also don't think there are all that many players out there who are casual in that they play relatively infrequently and not serious about it (even those who are serious can still be awful, so I wouldn't call them casual) who are buying the kind of luxury bags Pound makes. I see FAR more people in that category going for something flashy looking like a Smack bag or something. And the "gearheads" (I'll say that just in case we can't still say what you said lol) in my experience want EVERYTHING. They want a billion discs, all the gadgets, etc.

Yes, but at least in my experience, those don't tend to be the folks who say "I just wanna carry a few discs and have no storage".

Frankly, I just also don't think there are all that many players out there who are casual in that they play relatively infrequently and not serious about it (even those who are serious can still be awful, so I wouldn't call them casual) who are buying the kind of luxury bags Pound makes. I see FAR more people in that category going for something flashy looking like a Smack bag or something. And the "gearheads" (I'll say that just in case we can't still say what you said lol) in my experience want EVERYTHING. They want a billion discs, all the gadgets, etc.

That's probably a fair assessment.

As I'm getting older, I'm refining my bag and rarely carry a ton other stuff.

With that said, I would absolutely love a bag that fits 15ish, but has the ability to potentially carry a few backups and some other stuff.

This might be the ticket for me as I also will pay for higher quality.

If anyone wants a Carlton rainfly cheap, I'm selling my purple/black one. Have a post up in the for sale forum.

Finally looking to pull the trigger on a Pound bag and wanted some feedback. I had been using an OG Grip L series for my larger capacity bag and a C series for smaller courses where I don't need as many discs. I typically don't carry a ton of stuff on me during rounds, a towel or two, possibly a retriever if there's water, and a couple snacks. Don't normally shed layers like a hoody or jacket.

With all that said I'm leaning towards a Carlton over an Octothorpe. Most of my rounds are casual, so I typically don't carry a ton of extra discs or need a ton of supplies. It seems like the Carlton would be easier to use when I want to carry fewer discs, but still have the ability to carry 20+ if I really felt like I needed to have more plastic on me. Looking at videos I think I'd go double putter pocket in order to maximize space getting into the main compartments. Or has anybody used the main compartments for drinks and then used the side pockets for disc storage? Looks as if you could put your drinks in the middle pocket as well.

Or is there something obvious I'm missing by just not snagging an Octothorpe? $75 difference in price for features I'm not sure I'd need, to to mention if you want to add on another $50 for Velcro, score card pocket, and the bigger long pockets.

Last question, it looks like there is inventory available on the site not yet sold out. What's a typical ETA in that case? The navy blue and gray/white camo Carlton's shoe shipping now, I'm assuming those are presently being built and then they'll move on to the Octothorpe orders?

Finally looking to pull the trigger on a Pound bag and wanted some feedback. I had been using an OG Grip L series for my larger capacity bag and a C series for smaller courses where I don't need as many discs. I typically don't carry a ton of stuff on me during rounds, a towel or two, possibly a retriever if there's water, and a couple snacks. Don't normally shed layers like a hoody or jacket.

With all that said I'm leaning towards a Carlton over an Octothorpe. Most of my rounds are casual, so I typically don't carry a ton of extra discs or need a ton of supplies. It seems like the Carlton would be easier to use when I want to carry fewer discs, but still have the ability to carry 20+ if I really felt like I needed to have more plastic on me. Looking at videos I think I'd go double putter pocket in order to maximize space getting into the main compartments. Or has anybody used the main compartments for drinks and then used the side pockets for disc storage? Looks as if you could put your drinks in the middle pocket as well.

Or is there something obvious I'm missing by just not snagging an Octothorpe? $75 difference in price for features I'm not sure I'd need, to to mention if you want to add on another $50 for Velcro, score card pocket, and the bigger long pockets.

Last question, it looks like there is inventory available on the site not yet sold out. What's a typical ETA in that case? The navy blue and gray/white camo Carlton's shoe shipping now, I'm assuming those are presently being built and then they'll move on to the Octothorpe orders?

I've never used my Carlton that way. I guess there's no reason it wouldn't work. It's really a question of whether you like the slightly oddball configuration of the Carlton with a smaller lighter pack, or prefer a more conventional backpack. I really like the Carlton layout because it's super easy to have all my go-tos up top and easy to reach. I don't really like fishing in the lower compartment of a conventional disc golf backpack.

Every time I've ordered my stuff has come quickly (3-5 days I guess? And I live in Alaska) other than of course the lead time for my custom bag.

I haven't been in the bag game in quite a while, bought a shift in 2016 never looked back.

I had been keeping my eye out for a smaller Octothorpe, and for the fly pack. My question is; has pound upped there prices a lot over the last few years? I have a toolbox that I spent $50 on (now listed around $130) and I thought the Stock Octos were $300, I don't see any bag (Other than TB/Fly) that is listed under $400 now.

I haven't been in the bag game in quite a while, bought a shift in 2016 never looked back.

I had been keeping my eye out for a smaller Octothorpe, and for the fly pack. My question is; has pound upped there prices a lot over the last few years? I have a toolbox that I spent $50 on (now listed around $130) and I thought the Stock Octos were $300, I don't see any bag (Other than TB/Fly) that is listed under $400 now.

They've definitely had to raise prices, not sure how much of it is cost of everything vs having to expand the business increasing overhead vs just because they can and still sell out every drop.

I ordered my custom Octo just about 2 years ago and it was $450 at the time. Same bag would be $499 now.

Not such a big jump considering the increase in demand since then, and probably also a significant increase in raw material and shipping costs. They have also added some options that push the price up higher, if you're so inclined.

Saw Ezra Aderhold really talking up the features of his new pound octo-squatch bag in his latest ITB…

Oops, wrong thread.

Latest posts