• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New guy and pot!

cajuninms

Hey guys,

I think I am overthinking how to dye discs. Do I need a separate pot for each color that I use? If not, when I get done with the dye, does it stain the pot I am using and will it contaminate the next batch of color that I use? Also, where did you get a cheap pot? I am assuming some thrift stores might have some, but not sure the prices.

Also, is RIT sold at Wally World? Is there an alternative to RIT if not?

Thanks guys. I really want to get started on this dying thing with my discs, I just had a couple of questions before I got started.

i use a pot i bought from a thrift shop. its a little funky, stained...but i wash it after each use and, if theres any contamination, its negligible. start out with one pot. get more later if youre not satisfied. :thmbup:

I use one pot. I bought three others at the dollar-type stores for extras, but they don't hold heat uniformly. My one go-to pot is an old non-stick that works very well for me. I clean it after each color, rinsing first(carefully so as not to splatter!), then I put enough water to cover the bottom, and boil that, then pour out the boiling leftovers and wipe clean.
RIT is the best, no real alternative. You can find it at Wally World in the laundry detergent area. Otherwise, most national hobby chains have it(Hobby Lobby, Michaels, etc)

When I was younger I would use cheap pot. But once I used a premium pot it was hard to go back to the cheap stuff. So I say spend the money on a good pot. It will last longer. Wait a minute, what are we talking about here?

I agree with using one pot and wash it out. If you let the dye Sit in their too long it may make pot hold dye. Be quick.

I've only used rit but instead of heat I used a recipe
for rit, detergent and alcohol that worked pretty good.

I use a single stainless steel pot and have never had a problem with colors mixing, I just rinse it out well after each use.

Also Bennet is right on, theres no real substitute for RIT. I've tried that Dylon stuff, doesn't work at all.

When I was younger I would use cheap pot. But once I used a premium pot it was hard to go back to the cheap stuff. So I say spend the money on a good pot. It will last longer. Wait a minute, what are we talking about here?

Funny stuff :thmbup: :hfive:

Well there is a substitute for rit as the fly dye discs done for Innova and Discraft by Jbird are dyed with something other than rit. As for clean-up I mix a lil liquid tide in with my dye and cleaning a pot is a breeze.