• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New member, new golfer.

WorldPax

Bogey Member
Gentlemen,

Name is Pax, from Tulsa, OK. Just played my eighth round ever and it felt great, I'm hooked, but I'm sure you know the feeling. Shot 65 with a couple mulligans. I found this board to be a wealth of information and it has really helped to give me a great start in the game. Today I decided to do only static throws from the tees and that was a real eye opener, really helped my game over all. I seem to have been blessed with a decent short game right out of the box. Within 100-150 feet I can usually park it pretty close to the pin, and rarely 2 putt from 15-20 feet.

I drive a truck for a living, mostly Texas and Oklahoma with the occasional jaunt into Arkansas or Missouri. Hopefully that will allow me to play a variety of courses. Last week I got to play in Joplin and that was fun. So far nothing in Texas, but if you're in Tyler or Dallas and you can play during the week PM me and maybe I can sneak in a round between loads.

Bag so far:

Champion Beast*
DX Beast
DX Archangel
Star Coyote*
SuperSoft Wizard
Omega SS Putter*

Mainly I throw the plastic with the astrix next to it. I'll throw the archangel if I'm afraid of losing it, cause it's my least favorite, I'll throw the DX Beast in high wind because it's my heaviest, and the wizard made it in there because I wanted to try a different putter, but I still prefer the Omega.

I am trying to be analytical about my game. I was going to hold off on throwing drivers for awhile, but I have played with some experienced golfers and they said I was throwing pretty good for a beginner, so working on the driver should be fine.

Guess that's all for now, just wanted to introduce myself and say thanks to all for the great info and advice I found. Hopefully I can contribute.

The Star Coyote and the SS Omega are two great discs to start with. Welcome aboard. If you are ever going to be in the Houston area, PM me and we can play a round.

Hey Pax,
Welcome to the addiction. I am a relatively new player too.
How far and straight consistently can you get the Beast out? A lot of memebers here suggested using DX drivers like the Cheetah or Gazelle and my first main driver; this improved my game a ton. Also I got several of the same disc and rotate them. In time you can wind up with a few of the same discs in varied stages of wear; this can result in a set of discs that behave differently. One new stable, one neutral/straight and one beat up one that turns right.
Just some input from others that improved my game.
Apparently Texas has a lot of DG courses. If you are ever in Louisville try Charlie Vettiner.
Bill

Billym said:
Hey Pax,
Welcome to the addiction. I am a relatively new player too.
How far and straight consistently can you get the Beast out? ........
Bill

225-275 Seems to depend on how many trees I'm trying to avoid. I can throw straight, the inconsistancy seems to pop up in elevation. Sometimes I throw high, sometimes low, but today was much better working from a static throw. Gonna hit the soccer field later and just practice some straight drives, maybe get a baseline for future practice.

I bet if you get a slightly slower driver you'll be hitting 300 right away.
Bill

Billym said:
Bill

Well then I hope a DX Banshee or Valkerie fit that bill, cause I got plastic fever and picked those up so I'll have more to throw downfield for practice.

WorldPax said:
Billym said:
Bill

Well then I hope a DX Banshee or Valkerie fit that bill, cause I got plastic fever and picked those up so I'll have more to throw downfield for practice.

Scratch those, taking the Banshee and Valkerie back to see if I can trade for a cheetah or gazelle.

I am keeping one Banshee because my wife likes the print on the lid, bought her a spider too for that reason, anyone else have that issue, buying discs purely for the aesthetic.

only the chicks, have a friend whose wife bought a destroyer for the color, its in his bag now because she can't throw it. I run into kids (8-12 year olds) all the time with brand new tee-rex's, I have a pretty good arm and I don't throw that overstable of a driver, someone should educate themselves before buying "the cool looking disc!" no dis-respect intended.

Welcome. I'm a fellow okie. I will actually be up in t-town next Sunday playing, probably blackhawk. I'll be in Miami that Saturday. What courses do you usually play?

Good luck!!

dgdave said:
Welcome. I'm a fellow okie. I will actually be up in t-town next Sunday playing, probably blackhawk. I'll be in Miami that Saturday. What courses do you usually play?

Good luck!!

So far just Mclure and Hunter. Riverside and Haikey are both closed. Be glad to play with you next Sunday, whatever course you choose. My folks live in Bethany so I'm sure I'll be hitting some of the OKC courses in the near future. Probably be down there for the 4th of July weekend.

Bag update: Traded in the Valk and Banshee for

DX Cheetah
DX Eagle
DX Shark

I've got a DX cheetah I'm doing nothing with and nobody seems to want to trade it off me. It's like 166g or so I think. Lemme know if you want it and I'll just send it your way...

Good choices with your last batch of discs. Those'll do better for distance and form improvement than the higher speed discs you started with.

I'd recommend picking up a couple extra putters and practice driving with them for field practice. When you can drive 200' with one of those without flipping it into the ground, then see what the drivers do for you. At this point, those drivers, all of them, will be fading so hard for you, it'll be hard to be accurate when you factor in the lie of your disc compared to the line you threw it on.

A putter won't be that bad of a fade, so, hopefully, it would reward your most accurate throws.

Hope you have fun with it. It's a wonderful sport.

WorldPax said:
WorldPax said:
Billym said:
Bill

Well then I hope a DX Banshee or Valkyrie fit that bill, cause I got plastic fever and picked those up so I'll have more to throw down field for practice.

Scratch those, taking the Banshee and Valkyrie back to see if I can trade for a cheetah or gazelle.

I am keeping one Banshee because my wife likes the print on the lid, bought her a spider too for that reason, anyone else have that issue, buying discs purely for the aesthetic.

My wife bought a pink Tee-Rex just because it was pink. She has never thrown it, and I threw it yesterday at the practice field. Pretty good over-stable driver. It found a place in my bad for a little while.

SkaBob said:
I've got a DX cheetah I'm doing nothing with and nobody seems to want to trade it off me. It's like 166g or so I think. Lemme know if you want it and I'll just send it your way....

Thank you for the generous offer, but I couldn't put you to the trouble for something I can get down here. Let's save it for the next Detroit newb who shows up :)

Having said that, I did manage to lose my Cheetah today in the swamp off 17 at Hunter park, maybe fate telling me something (keep working the Coyote?). Five minutes after that I was handing Jeff his wife's pink Destroyer that he lost yesterday and I found on hole 15, maybe another addition to my bag of golf buddies.

Today's game analysis: Not my best day, but educational. Shot 73 due to a bad start in the trees, but recovered a bit on the more open back nine. Out in the field I threw everything in my bag about 200-225 ft except the putters, the putters go 160-180. Drivers fade a bit left, kept shanking the Coyote right for some reason (came back straight on the course though).

Think I'm going to stick to a 3 disc game for awhile. Today I just carried the Omega SS, Coyote, and Cheetah and I think it best for my game overall if I stay with that combo, concentrating mainly on the Coyote and Omega. That is of course after I replace my lost Cheetah :)

PS: What are the groups suggestions on Discraft molds for a beginner or anything not innova for that matter?

WorldPax said:
PS: What are the groups suggestions on Discraft molds for a beginner or anything not innova for that matter?

I like the Comet but it probably won't be different enough from your Coyote to be worth buying. FWIW, I tried the Coyote and the Comet back to back and chose the Comet. It was actually a hard choice, though.
As far as drivers go, 2 good choices would be the Z Tracker or a Z Predator. Just get the weights that are apropriate for your throwing style.

Bag update: Traded in the Valk and Banshee for

DX Cheetah
DX Eagle
DX Shark[/quote]

Good job, you should see some results just from the switch.
If you are ever in BZerkeley drop me a line.
Bill

Added another Cheetah.....and a Leopard :) Went back out this afternoon and shot a 68. I carried the Omega, Shark, and Leopard. Let the learning begin.

Latest posts