• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to disc golf looking for innova recommendations

My best early 'teaching' discs were all on the verge of flipping if not thrown correctly (over-powered or outer wing up too high). Have your t-bird for a strong headwind or a shorter hyzer spiker but a beat, premium plastic XD (Innova store), Super Stingray, Leopard or TL will do wonders for your early development.

Ended up buying a Leopard 154g and a Dart 171g. Haven't had a chance to throw them yet but will report back with my thoughts when I do. Thanks for everyone's help.

Innova has great disc charts on their website. It will help you find a disc that will work with your style the best. Good luck

New Disc Golf Set

I have played disc golf a couple times before, and have been searching for my first personal set of discs. I stumbled across an Innova 6 set of discs "You Pick Um" in 40 DX plastic. I feel like this will be more than enough for my occasional playing, but I am unsure what discs I should comprise my kit of. I have posted my options below.

PUTTER / APPROACH DISCS
Aero
Aviar
Classic Aviar
Birdie
Classic Roc
Dart
Polecat
Rhyno
Sonic
XD
Wedge

MID-RANGE DRIVERS
Cobra
Cro
Gator
Hydra
Kite
Roc
Shark
Skeeter
Spider
Stingray

FAIRWAY DRIVERS
Banshee
Cheetah
Eagle
Gazelle
Leopard
Tee-bird
Viper .
Whippet

DISTANCE DRIVERS
The Archangel
The Beast
The Boss
The Destroyer
The Dragon
The Firebird
The Orc
The Sidewinder
The Starfire
The Valkyrie
The Viking
The Wraith

Any help, or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I was gonna go through and pick my favorite names, but figured I should ask for at least a suggestion!
Thanks!

I have played disc golf a couple times before, and have been searching for my first personal set of discs. I stumbled across an Innova 6 set of discs "You Pick Um" in 40 DX plastic. I feel like this will be more than enough for my occasional playing, but I am unsure what discs I should comprise my kit of. I have posted my options below.

PUTTER / APPROACH DISCS
Aero
Aviar
Classic Aviar
Birdie
Classic Roc
Dart
Polecat
Rhyno
Sonic
XD
Wedge

MID-RANGE DRIVERS
Cobra
Cro
Gator
Hydra
Kite
Roc
Shark
Skeeter
Spider
Stingray

FAIRWAY DRIVERS
Banshee
Cheetah
Eagle
Gazelle
Leopard
Tee-bird
Viper .
Whippet

DISTANCE DRIVERS
The Archangel
The Beast
The Boss
The Destroyer
The Dragon
The Firebird
The Orc
The Sidewinder
The Starfire
The Valkyrie
The Viking
The Wraith

Any help, or suggestions would be very much appreciated. I was gonna go through and pick my favorite names, but figured I should ask for at least a suggestion!
Thanks!

Brand new or disc golf? Get a Teebird, Leopard, Roc, Stingray, and two Aviars...one to putt with and one to approach with. You can't go wrong there. Don't get caught up in all the options at this point. Those are some of the most time-tested molds on the market.

you know that you dont have to go with innova or just discraft. there are tons of other companies out there that make quality discs. im a big fan of westside and lat 64. but if you want to go innova i would recomend:

tern
Roc3
Max
wraith
orc
Gator
spider

it is what you want it to be. i have a mix of just about everything. i have a river by lat 64, stag and underworld by westside. i have 2 buzz in the bag i have a roc 3, i have an orc, destroyer. i have a saint pro that i just got looking to add the bolt and a nuke.

you know that you dont have to go with innova or just discraft. there are tons of other companies out there that make quality discs. im a big fan of westside and lat 64. but if you want to go innova i would recomend:

tern
Roc3
Max
wraith
orc
Gator
spider

it is what you want it to be. i have a mix of just about everything. i have a river by lat 64, stag and underworld by westside. i have 2 buzz in the bag i have a roc 3, i have an orc, destroyer. i have a saint pro that i just got looking to add the bolt and a nuke.

Huh? There is so much overlap there. Most of those molds shouldn't be in a beginners bag. And no putters?

He is right...you don't have to throw Innova. BUT, the DX lineup I suggested is time-tested AND user friendly for new players. Don't get caught up in all the options at this point. Stick with some discs for a long time so you learn them well. It will help you improve faster than if you keep switching around. And have fun!

tern
Roc3
Max
wraith
orc
Gator
spider

Yikes...a Tern, Max, and Orc for a beginner?

How about:

Aviar
Rhyno
Buzzz
Roc
Leopard
Teebird

Every new bag should have a Buzzz.

A GATOR AND A MAX?!?!

Eesh.

The tern -- dependent on the plastic, can be a high speed beginner friendly disc.

But a Gator and a Max? Dang.

I really think the suggestions of speed 7 and under are great for beginners. When I started over in the middle of everything and just threw lower speed stuff, I learned so much about myself and my game.

DX plastic really is the way to go for beginners.

the gator is a great beginner disc. it is over stable so when their release timing is off it works and will come back. the max is a great begginer forhand disc. maybe it might be a little much for one. then they should go with blizzard plastic. the lighter weight will get them more distance.

the gator is a great beginner disc. it is over stable so when their release timing is off it works and will come back. the max is a great begginer forhand disc. maybe it might be a little much for one. then they should go with blizzard plastic. the lighter weight will get them more distance.

Beginners shouldn't be worried about getting more distance. Blizzard plastic is not the answer. Lighter weights glide better, but that doesn't always equal more distance anyway. What the lighter weights do is decrease the necessary cruising speed at which a disc will fly properly. So in that respect, yes, it's better for those with arms that can't get max weight high-speed drivers up to their cruising speed. It's not, however, something beginners need to worry about. My furthest flying discs have always been above 170 grams.

Overstable discs like Gators and Max's are great for advanced high-power players who need utility discs into strong headwinds. There's a few other uses for them, but a beginner will only mask his flaws and never learn how to have a clean throw if he just has to rely on the fade of a Max or Gator to make the shot "work".

Sorry, not trying to rain on you parade. This type of advice just isn't helpful.

i am only putting out what i had with experiance. my first disc was a gator. it was d plastic and after a few good tree wacks it flew stright as an arrow. the max i say i got after a year. i only use the max for forhand