• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New to the board?

Most of y'all already know me.
Hi to those who don't.
I miss Apoth, and FrankD.

Been playing DG a long, long time. Recently quit playing, and got serious. I play in alot of minis, and tourneys. My rating is 865... the only rating I have so far. I own a plotter, I like to plot.

That dye in your avatar looks like it's plotting something right now.

ZBoazMobster said:
Most of y'all already know me.
Hi to those who don't.
I miss Apoth, and FrankD.

Been playing DG a long, long time. Recently quit playing, and got serious. I play in alot of minis, and tourneys. My rating is 865... the only rating I have so far. I own a plotter, I like to plot.
Played El Dorado with Apoth about a month ago, he has a beard like Grizzly Adams now.

Hello, my name is Tommy.

Thank you for this:

Frank Delicious said:
Hey you! the new person to the board. Go to your User Control Panel.

Click on Board Preferences

Then change your board style (under My Board Style) to Subsilver2

It's the best way to view the board ever

whats up everyone! i am new to dgr, but not new to dg. i have a diseases and they dont know what to call it. i have been discing for 2 years and for about 1.5 i have been a fh player. i have just made an attempt to go back to the bh. i want to talk a little shit i have the best fh i have ever seen on the course, but one of the most inconsistent. I will admit i have one of the worst relative bh. i am working on bh almost exclusively. so hello everyone! i look forward to engaging all of you!

Sup DGR. Long time lurker. Finally decided to make an account. I found the Instructional Articles here extremely helpful when I first started playing about 2 and a half years ago. Never looked back. When I finally started perusing the forums I was blown away by the wealth of knowledge. I felt like I had just discovered the Holy Grail. Anyway, my hometown is Albuquerque, NM, USA and I throw primarily backhand. I'm a film camera assistant looking to get into disc golf videography as soon as I can get my hands on some nice gear ($$$). Much respect to JR and lcgm8 for doing what they do. By far the best disc golf coverage on YouTube.

Hi and welcome. Thanks we've also had the pleasure of filming with other people such as mafa from this board. A professional cam guy Wille Honkonen did steadycam work at the Finnish Open 2010. And there are others.

For equipment i really think you should read reviews with measurements of multiple aspects of video quality and sound. My camera doesn't have good enough sound. The ability to shoot in low light conditions preferably without a lot of color noise is very helpful too. The faster the autofocus the better.

There are never enough videographers and editors are even fewer so i hope that you'll get your gear. I look forward to seeing your videos. Please tell us where to see them once you've made your first clip.

Thanks, will do. I work as a 1st AC (focus puller) for indie films using DSLR's and the Red One so I'm hoping someday I can get a nice counterbalanced DSLR shoulder rig of my own with a follow focus, fluid zoom etc. It might sound like overkill for disc golf but I really wanna get the best possible video I can. After working with film cinematographers I have a pretty high standard even if it's just for sports videography :p

edit: Did Wille do steadycam for your YouTube channel or a separate production? I'd love to see some of that footage.

Red One drool!!! How long is the recording time for that and saving time after a shot?

Wille teamed up with us at The Finnish Open 2010. You can see the footage on Youtube on channel lcgm8. The files are named FO2010. Enjoy :) Wille's camera ain't light but the steadycam rig weighed over 40 pounds. He got a great workout on those days :-D So you might wanna check your condition for following a single group on all sorts of courses in all kinds of weather filming with lighter equipment to see what you can manage. After the first test you can pick up extra weight to simulate how a shoulder camera would work for you in a real competition.

The hardest event to film for me was the Stockholm Disc Golf Open 2010 in 86-94F depending on the day caddying for Dave Feldberg while filming. That is water for the both of us and 43 discs plus his stuff. Yeow. I carried my own bag for the first round and it did help reducing smaller jitters but it was too hot and heavy. My shoulders knew that they had been worked. Now i respect the efforts of caddies a lot more having gone through that workout.

Wille did same day editing and publishing at the FO 2010 for the event web page: http://www.finnish-open.com/home And more vids on Youtube channel willehonkonen

JR said:
Red One drool!!! How long is the recording time for that and saving time after a shot?
Originally you had to use CF cards (an 8gb card shooting at 4k 24fps would only last 4 minutes) or a 320gb HDD (which was less than ideal for handheld shooting for obvious reasons). They now offer SSD modules up to 256gb (~2 hours) which is nice, but very expensive. It seemed to continuously save during a shot so I didn't notice much of a delay if any after recording. I didn't pay much attention to it though since the need to start a new shot instantly was pretty much non-existent on that particular shoot. I don't know the exact specs but I'm sure the official Red CF cards are plenty fast in order to support shooting at 4k.

Rand said:
It might sound like overkill for disc golf but I really wanna get the best possible video I can. After working with film cinematographers I have a pretty high standard even if it's just for sports videography :p
Wouldn't call it overkill in any way, sports videography is pretty damn demanding, just in a different way compared to film making. Especially when it's bright out and you're filming in and out of woods, getting the exposure right is tricky, most often you either end up with a bleached out sky or the sky is great but everything else is totally underexposed, so you really can't see anything (this is currently pretty much my only gripe with lcgm8 stuff). You don't get a chance to plan ahead, everything has to be done on the fly.

And yeah, Red One *droooooool*.

jubuttib said:
You don't get a chance to plan ahead, everything has to be done on the fly.
Yea that might take some getting used to. I think it suits me better though as I like being more independent and there's too much drama behind the scenes in film.

And yeah, Red One *droooooool*.
I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a new Epic too ;) Anyway sorry to hijack this thread. Must contain my urges to discuss camera stuff for another thread :)

New to the board and the sport. Been playing Ultimate for near a decade. Some friends took me out for DG a few weeks back and it's a really nice game.
I'm here in hopes of finding the right discs for me. I can put a 175 Ultrastar anywhere I want up to 300ish ft. LHBH or LHFH, but these golf discs don't fly the way I expect them to. I've tried stables,overs, and unders and they all fly about the same for me; that's to say hooking to the right in the end no matter how much left cut I put on the throw. Are there any drivers/mid-range that don't do this?
Then the exact opposite question: I sometimes find myself wanting to throw what we Ultimate folks call an inside-out where the release point has the disc angled towards the ground and flies in a consistent and smooth bank (if I'm throwing LHBH it banks out right). Every time I've tried throwing a golf disc this way it goes about 20 yards and nosedives to the ground. Are there any discs designed to be thrown with that kind of release?

I'd be grateful for any input into what type of discs I might want to try. Thanks.

HI and welcome. I'm not familiar with Ultimate terminology. That shot may be called a hyzer in disc golf but i'm just guessing. If so throwing higher should help. Reaching back lower and getting the disc to rip out higher than normal. Yes you don't release golf discs you try holding onto them for as long as possible. That means a lot of acceleration in the end with the arm to ensure that the disc rips off cleanly and doesn't get wobble from sticking to the fingers.

There are Ultimate players here so they'll probably correct me if i'm wrong.

Discraft X Comet is a disc that has often been described as a good transitional disc from Ultimate to DG. Discraft Rattler, Snap Dicsports Whitler, Innova Sonic, Innova Polecat and Herodisc 235 are examples of disc golf discs that are lid like. In my opinion Rattler is the best overall flyer out of these. I would imagine that you can drive them fairly far for a putter. My best line drive hyzer flip to flat is about 250'. It gets very picky about throwing form after about 150'. Ultra-Star to 300' suggests that you probably have good enough form or very close to be able to throw the Rattler far accurately. When there is no wind. Shape wise it should be easy for Ultimate players. Rattlers have been manufactured out of plastic and rubber. The rubber ones are where it's at. Plastic one are hard and slick. They fly wel but the grip is superior with the rubber ones.

What's up everyone. My names mike and I'm new to this site. I used to be over on dgcr(surgeflx87), but was recently banned. I asked for it though I guess. Kind of glad to be off that site now and over to this one. Great technique threads over here, especially compared to that site! I hope to learn and a add a lot to my game from this site. Thanks for all the good info guys!!

Latest posts