• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New video uploaded

Soo... Are you saying that opening the shoulers doesn 't add to the rip, or just stressing that it happens much later than most think?

Edit: a while ago you compared moving the shoulder to moving the handle of a fishing pole saying you didn't need to move it much, just with the right timing in order to get the end to whip back and forth. Is that kind of what you were getting at with the "ever so slightly" comment in your video?

Redisculous said:
Soo... Are you saying that opening the shoulers doesn 't add to the rip, or just stressing that it happens much later than most think?

Edit: a while ago you compared moving the shoulder to moving the handle of a fishing pole saying you didn't need to move it much, just with the right timing in order to get the end to whip back and forth. Is that kind of what you were getting at with the "ever so slightly" comment in your video?

Yes, I'd say that's it...

Oh the shoulder opens. It is like the little bit the hand moves when spinning a rope... Small motion at the hub equals faster motion at the diameter.

So what happened on the one that sailed right and over the fence, looks like some of my recent throws?

I watched your video this morning and recall you said something in passing about this drill being similar to your putting. When I reach around a tree I often plant my left foot behind my mini and stretch my right foot out in front of my left parallel to the basket so that my right shoulder/hip is turned away from the target for an anny shot. I recently found that I was having better luck puting alot of spin/snap on my new fav putter the Ion. My problem has been that when I face the basket I release early or late too often. I played 36 today and had some real success with my right shoulder away from the basket having a shoulder high, bent elbow backhand release.

Having my feet in the same position as your drill really puts the spin on the disc and Ions love spin. I'm going to practice it for a while and hopefully have similar results as today. Thanks for the visual.

I watched this video yesterday, and went out and played a round. There is a short little 220 foot wooded hole(tight fairway) that I gave this a try on. I used a 163 teebird, and it flew so smoothly. Didn't hit a single tree, ended up 50 feet past. Guess I will be throwing a roc next time. Thanks.

I've been concentrating on accuracy lately, and doing really well; hitting fairways and upshots with a LOT more consistency. Only 'problem' is that I'm really topping out in distance on full drives. I would start at the center of the teepad and x-step straight, throwing almost from an open chest/shoulders position (the opposite of this thread).

Trying out this technique and extending the arm past the shoulder plane, keeping the chest more than 90 degrees away from the target so the disc accelerates more in the last moment, has given me a ton more distance. There are a few drawbacks though:

Normally, I would have to concentrate on keeping the disc 'nose down' but now it is very easy. So much so that if I try to throw nose down on purpose, it's a very low flying 'worm burner' flight. Does this technique help promote nose down, so I don't have to concentrate on it?

All of my discs are flying less stable than before. Pretty obvious with more spin and power, but I want to stay away from OAT.

My timing is all out of whack.

I'll report back with any updates, thanks for the video.

Played with this a little today in between rain showers and I can definitely feel and see more results than the way I was doing the pec drills, just seems to translate better for me.

One additional thing I found was that just by doing the drill, I have found my 75-125' shot that was a mess before.

Haven't been able to transition it into a full throw yet, was pretty spaztic and needs some work, really trying to focus on a plant instead of a pivot. Going on vacation next week that's nowhere near a DG course but I plan on taking a stack of mids to practice with.

Visualizing the closed shoulder throw makes sense to me. I can feel it. I can imagine what it looks like. I haven't drilled in the field, but have messed around with the towel drill together with this closed shoulder hit drill. I took it to the course and was getting a better feel for the hit and feeling the weight of the disc better. I felt like the distance I was getting took less effort and forced speed (strong arming). With work, this may help me get the feel of the hit down. I mainly focused on keeping my shoulders closed, bringing my arm through smoothly and hitting it in the last few inches before release then letting the momentum of my arm open my shoulders. It feels more smooth and controlled versus trying to get my arm to catch up to my opening shoulder.

What do you think of the shoulders on this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/user/sportdisc?blend=7&ob=5#p/u/0/bMC6OYzb3oY

Thanks JR, another great teaching video that I haven't seen until now. I wish there was a single thread, similar to Discraft's library, where I could go and find all one thousand links catagorized by what lesson they're trying to teach with just a few words on the jist of the link. Anyone could post a link in the thread AND IF the OP thought it was effective then they could copy the link to the correct catagory on the first page of the OP. So little time, so much to do...

Links to Specialty Throws-
Dave Greenwell talks rollers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5joRhBOjDM

Links to Putting-
Mark Ellis The Putting Confidence Program
Scott Papa The Basics of Putting

Links to The Basics-
Bradley's vid on snap
Bradley's vid talks shoulder turn for snap
Beto's vid on x-step
The guy flicking in his room.

Links for Distance-
Discraft's "Critter" Bill basics instruction