• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

New York to Colorado.

Chiefstang

Double Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm moving from Rochester, NY to Boulder, Co at the end of August and am making a DG roadtrip out of it. The plans are loose thus far, and am looking for advice on places to stop and play along the way.

The first stop will be Pittsburgh to play Deer Lakes and Moraine. We will be looking to hit up Idlewild on our way to Terre Haute, Il. After that, we need ideas. It seems to get to be slim pickings across the plains.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, and of course I would love to play with anybody willing to meet up. I have travel tag #111, but am looking to snag TimG's #1 before I scoot out of town!

We will be looking to hit up Idlewild on our way to Terre Haute, Il. After that, we need ideas. It seems to get to be slim pickings across the plains.
Have you been out this way? Terre Haute is in Indiana BTW.

Are you planning on taking I-70 or I-80 out to Boulder? That would help with recommendations.

Chief,

Let me know when you are coming into Pittsburgh, I would love to meet up for a round or two. There is an NT event towards the end of August so hopefully you will be able to avoid that since they will be using Moraine, Deer Lakes and Knob Hill for the whole weekend. Shoot me a PM.

My buddy that I'm picking up in Illinois actually requested to not go down I-70, but we're going where the courses are. The second leg of the trip is where I really need sugguestions.

Could go straight through Kansas, north through Nebraska, or south through Oklahoma.

if you are going through kansas, you have to stop in KC and play their plethora of courses, mostly water works, and rosedale. rosedale has two courses, both great, and water works is great course with some great scenery.

My buddy that I'm picking up in Illinois actually requested to not go down I-70, but we're going where the courses are. The second leg of the trip is where I really need sugguestions.
That's the section I'm referring to. So this IS Terre Haute, IL? That puts you very close to some cool really underrated courses in southeastern IA.

Could go straight through Kansas, north through Nebraska, or south through Oklahoma.
Through Kansas (I-70) you will hit St. Louis and Kansas City. There's also a couple good spots in central KS (Hays and Salina) and central MO (Columbia, Jefferson City, Fulton, Marshall). West of Hays, KS, there isn't doody until you get into Denver.

Through Nebraska, you will hit Des Moines and Omaha, possibly Iowa City, there's a couple decent courses in central NE (Kearney and Hastings), and a couple more in northeast CO (Sterling and Ft. Morgan), before you get into the Denver metro.

I don't see much practicality of heading south of I-70 to get to Boulder. I-44 from St. Louis would take you to Tulsa and eventually OKC, and there's stuff that way to play, but its not worth the extra detour.

Chiefstang,Im from Rochester too.Moved out here in Omaha Nebraska.There are some good courses to play around here.Atlantic, IA Sunnyside DGC,Treasure cove DGC,Seymour Smith Park,and Hummel park.

Cheifstang, once you get out here, I'll show you the best courses in your new state! :) let me know when you arrive and get settled, we can go hit conifer/beaver ranch, and there are a few down near me that beat the hell out of anything in the denver area, at least that was what I was told. :) Unless you really like playing courses with no trees and repetitious type holes?

OK!! Here is the final itinerary(?), unless anyone tells me I should do otherwise:

8/26 Pittsburgh, PA
Moraine Park
Deer Lakes

8/27 Burlington, KY
Idlewild!!
Lincoln Ridge

8/28-8/29 Paris, IL
Deming Park
???

8/30 Kansas City, MO
Waterworks Park
Rosedale Park

8/31 Ellis, KS
Sky Vu DGC
Frontier Park

9/1 Longmont, CO
All of them!

I have to stop in Paris, IL to pick up a buddy, and there's not much nearby. If anybody has a suggestion that's near there let me know. I'm tryin to break up the trip into 4-7 hour legs, and doing the driving in the morning to leave the afternoon to play... Thus the stop in Ellis, KS.

If anybody has played these courses, could you give me an estimate for how long a round takes at each? I want to make sure I have time!!

Any input is appreciated, and boy am I stoked!!

Frontier Park is in Hays, not Ellis. It has alternate tee pads and I would play it twice before playing Ellis, as the layout at Sky-Vu is rather confusing. If you want a different course, I'd recommend Thomas Park in Salina, about 90 miles east of Hays, if that can work.

Rosedale in KC gets very crowded after about 11 AM. You're going to be spending a lot of time waiting on the pads there. The Down Under course there is less crowded, but the layout can be confusing for a first timer. If you're coming into KC from the east, I would hit Wilbur Young Park in Blue Springs on the east side of the metro. If you want something closer to Water Works, I'd recommend Cliff Drive.

Not sure if you know or not but there will be a NT tournament at Deer lakes and Moraine that weekend. Wasnt sure if you were planning to watch them or if you knew the tournament was that weekend. just a heads up dude

Thx scarpfish! I'll look into that course by Salina!

The tournament in Pittsburgh starts Saturday morning. I'll be playing Friday with Bobby Jones and Dan Hastings!!

Latest posts