• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie + fast discs = annoying

Anyone trying to rationalize using the Starfire is giving poor advice. Don't get anything faster than a Leopard for at least half a year. You're welcome to get a midrange, though many "mid-range" shots can just be performed with your putter. If and when you start flipping the Leopard consistently even at a slight hyzer angle, you'll know it's time to step it up--in stability, not speed. At this point, you can upgrade to a Cheetah, Gazelle (while supplies last, I think Gazelles were discontinued...they still have some on DGC though), JLS, XL, Cyclone, or similarly workable fairway driver.

Sounds like your driver is a little too new, follow the advice of someone earlier who said save it for shots where a lot of hyzer (left turn for rhbh) is required.

I would go to your local play it again sports or local disc shop where you can get used discs, (or discaroo) pick up a used valkyrie or beast or tbird. This will let you get some straight flight out of the disc before it starts to turn on you, and in the process, extend out your distance.

another good piece of advice that I read earlier, get to the point where you can throw your putter and mid with confidence and you will be well on your way, the driver will be easy after you master those two shots.

good luck

Yes, a Starfire is going to be too much for you to throw "correctly" however you still may find the need for a disc that is going to turn hard and skip to get you out of trouble. I have a few discs that are "out of my league" for this reason. I don't use them when I'm practicing in the field but I've been bailed out a few times when the situation arose.

I am still a newb at the game myself; but those youtube video's are a great help. For the first time yesterday, I over threw a 280 foot hole. I was mad and glad all at the same time.

WOW, lots of information to take in.

Since my first post I have pretty much decided on my Leopard(Driver) and the Aviar P&A(short/putt) for a while. I am going to look around for a Shark/Buzzz at some point soon but since I am so new to the sport I am going to learn what I have and go from there. I know that my technique is a bit off so going to work on that first.

I would like to thank everyone here. It's great to be able to get so much feedback.....

Every one is pretty spot on, I second the mid range advice but I've never known a noob to like a shark. Even they're fairly stable for beginners. I'd go with something like a Coyote if it was me. It has more noob friendly glide and is very straight out of the box. If you want something more stable than that, then I'd go with a buzzz. But you can never go wrong with a beat Dx Roc.

i will give you a DX valk in good shape if you pay for shipping...(2.50 to paypal)...i have a blue 162 and an orange 168...PM me if you are interested

or for $5 to paypal you can have a like new 170 DX cheetah...this is what kind of disc i learned with, very solid fairway driver and it shouldnt be too much to handle

Noob Drivers- Roc, Buzz and Leapard
Medium Drivers- Orc, Beast and Groove
Advanced Drivers- Boss, Starfire and Raging Inferno

Happy Discin!

See, that is the stuff I needed to know. So my next round tomorrow just throw my Leopard and Aviar is a good start?

when he says go into a field and throw all day, he doesn't mean go to the course and throw all day.

he's recommending (and I completely agree) that you go into an open field (a local school's soccer field works well) and just throw throw throw throw throw.

it's the best way to learn how to throw your discs, what you can make them do, and how they will best serve you.

after you've really mastered what you can and can't do, then you go to your local course and try to apply what you've been learning in the field.

hope you give this a try, because it will help tremendously.

Slow yourself down before you start xstepping all over god's creation. Just b/c you have a big teepad on a < 300' hole doesn't mean you have to use all of it. Happy discin' Also, find a local and make a friend.

when he says go into a field and throw all day, he doesn't mean go to the course and throw all day.

he's recommending (and I completely agree) that you go into an open field (a local school's soccer field works well) and just throw throw throw throw throw.

it's the best way to learn how to throw your discs, what you can make them do, and how they will best serve you.

after you've really mastered what you can and can't do, then you go to your local course and try to apply what you've been learning in the field.

hope you give this a try, because it will help tremendously.

This is some very good advice. I just got a new batch of discs today and I haven't been super happy with my driving lately - so I went off to the local school field and threw discs for a while. I focused on a couple of aspects of my throw: firstly, the grip and secondly keeping my weight forward (check out the Dan Beato video, go practice, check the video out again, rinse and repeat).

This community is the best. I have been playing as well as practicing in a field and am already learning what I can and can't do with my Leopard.

Although I am not getting over 200' consistantly I am able to throw it almost dead straight as well as a small S. I know that with some more work i'll be able to gain some distance. I have found my first 'favorite'....

Love this game and glad my buddy got me out to try it...

This community is the best. I have been playing as well as practicing in a field and am already learning what I can and can't do with my Leopard.

Although I am not getting over 200' consistantly I am able to throw it almost dead straight as well as a small S. I know that with some more work i'll be able to gain some distance. I have found my first 'favorite'....

Skippy - this is a great community buddy, and welcome to it! As a Wisconsin native myself, I recommend you make the trip down to Brown Deer Park. I was just home on vacation and loved that place! There are some great open spaces to practice and the course will make you work on every aspect of your game! Being able to practice in the same park as a course really helps your game....the same reason many ball golfers like to hit a bucket at the range before they play.

Also, I know a lot of people have poor opinions on faster discs for new players, but I taught my GF with a Beast and a TeeRex (both lighter weights) and she loves them. Don't feel bad about getting a bunch of discs to practice with though, if you have the cash people are always selling used lots and misprint deals on ebay...I just got 6 Gateway misprint putters for $18....true I will never carry 6 putters on the course with me, but it certainly makes the pracitce basket sessions more meaningful!

i am relatively new to disc golf and made the mistake of buying a high speed/overstable disc for my first driver as well.

I then after ended up buying a Star SL which was still too high of a speed for me at first, but I have grown to love it... hold on to it.

Keep throwing that champ leopard until you can bomb it.

Welcome to the highly addictive world of disc golf.

Here are a couple of things that i wish i knew when i started.

DX/D is the base plastic, this will beat in nicely, that means that it fade less and turn more. so over time discs become more understable than its out of box state.
Pro/ x plastic can be a mixed bad. But generally are the most glidey versions of their discs.
Champion/Z is pretty much the most hardcore indistructable plastic, it will fly like its out of box for a loooong time.
Star / ESP somewhere between the 2 in terms of durability and that they beat in nicely.

Also 2 good discs for measuring sticks are a comet and a TL, if your throwing well both should go straight with, very little fade, when new. If the comet in particular is bombing off right or left its most likely your technique.

Your best place for learning is discgolfreview, the site is a goldmine.

Good luck, and make sure you return found discs, its the dg way.

Like everyone else has said, concentrate on your form. If you take your putter and if you have a midrange, take that, and just go throw it in an open field, it will drastically help you see how your form is doing. Then when you throw your drivers, they will feel much better.

I started off with this set up and would recommend it to anyone as I still throw these 3 discs more than any other

Teebird
Roc
Aviar