• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Newbie from Tyler, TX

pecosROB

Birdie Member
Hey guys, my wife (30) and I (32) started playing disc golf this past summer. I hate exercise but needed to get off my ass some more - luckily a family friend of ours asked randomly if we would like to play. I had friends in high school and college that played a little but never joined them and figured this was a great time to play.

Man I love this game. The only thing I hate about it is when you lose a brand new disc you just got! I have been pretty fortunate though and found a lot of discs I thought I lost - right when I give up looking for them.

I have been watching numerous videos online practicing my throws. I started off RHBH but I am starting to favor the forehand/sidearm throw. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my RHBH - the furthest I can throw is around 250 feet, maybe a little further, but definitely not consistently. My forehand can go 150-200+ feet with such little effort. I also am much more consistent in terms of accuracy with the forehand throws. Sometimes when I RHBH I launch it too early or late and it just goes all over the place. Tips on how to improve distance? Am I focusing too much on arm speed and not enough on wrist snap? Vice versa? I have no clue!

The courses around Tyler, TX are pretty short, about 220-300+ feet. Some can be around 400+ feet but that's about it. We mostly play at The ROC since it is about a 5 minute drive from the house. Right now I probably score about 4-10+ at that course. I actually got my first (and only) ace at hole #8 with an Innova Daedalus. It was AMAZING hearing those chains ring from 220 feet away.

Welcome Rob, I'm up in Rowlett/Rockwall area, plan on hitting up Tyler soon for some disc golf, if you're ever up this way shoot me a message. I just started not too long ago as well.

Welcome from a fellow Texan. Been meaning to hit up the Tyler area more after a Glow Round at the ROC a month ago. You're in a pretty good area or disc golf! Excellent courses in Longview and Nacogdoches as well, and Selah is only an 2 hour drive north.

Hey Rob, Im a Tyler local and would love to play a round with you and possibly give you some tips. Ill pm you my phone number. :hfive:

We have enough people around Tyler area we need to get a group together and play some time.

Hey Rob, Im a Tyler local and would love to play a round with you and possibly give you some tips. Ill pm you my phone number. :hfive:

I need tips sir....!!! Welcome Tyler newbies Im down the road in athens play tyler alot....also know there is several tyler players that could offer help and knowledge about the sport... keep em flyn guys

Hey guys, my wife (30) and I (32) started playing disc golf this past summer. I hate exercise but needed to get off my ass some more - luckily a family friend of ours asked randomly if we would like to play. I had friends in high school and college that played a little but never joined them and figured this was a great time to play.

Man I love this game. The only thing I hate about it is when you lose a brand new disc you just got! I have been pretty fortunate though and found a lot of discs I thought I lost - right when I give up looking for them.

I have been watching numerous videos online practicing my throws. I started off RHBH but I am starting to favor the forehand/sidearm throw. I don't know what I'm doing wrong with my RHBH - the furthest I can throw is around 250 feet, maybe a little further, but definitely not consistently. My forehand can go 150-200+ feet with such little effort. I also am much more consistent in terms of accuracy with the forehand throws. Sometimes when I RHBH I launch it too early or late and it just goes all over the place. Tips on how to improve distance? Am I focusing too much on arm speed and not enough on wrist snap? Vice versa? I have no clue!

The courses around Tyler, TX are pretty short, about 220-300+ feet. Some can be around 400+ feet but that's about it. We mostly play at The ROC since it is about a 5 minute drive from the house. Right now I probably score about 4-10+ at that course. I actually got my first (and only) ace at hole #8 with an Innova Daedalus. It was AMAZING hearing those chains ring from 220 feet away.

Rob the roc is a great starter course.. if you looking for longer holes just go to Lindsay Park(3) courses there and have holes up to 900+!!!

Latest posts