• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Next Advancement In Tee Pad Design?

I think "The area bounded by the edges of a tee pad, if provided." is strong enough that any players could make big stink if they got called on 18 foot faults per round for going beyond a painted line.

But, of course the TD should be able to define teeing areas anyway they want.

again, without better definition of "tee pad" i see no justification for calling superfluous concrete or asphalt around the edges of a marked teeing area part of said "tee pad".

I hate this. Literally my least favorite thing in Disc Golf ever. I always end up watching my feet way too much because I can feel the end of a pad but I can't feel the line.

If a solid fault line with a 5ft width, throws you off, how are you at throwing from your lie? That's a pretty big element of disc golf to hate, getting your plantfoot accurate.

I'm shocked that people don't like run off areas.

You should know where your feet are without needing to "feel" the end of the pad. Do people regularly drive with half their foot hanging off the end of the pad?

I do think they are confusing for people rules-wise though, at least when you've never seen them before. Dretzka has them on at least some holes and the last tourney I was there someone on my card second round had no clue bc the TD never mentioned it.

Willmore Park in St. Louis has them. 3 feet or so after the foul line and the dyed the concrete a different color (or the line, I can't recall). It's love, hate I think.

I thought the idea was to keep people on the pad and avoid the inevitable erosion???

I think they are ignored in PDGA events due to post round moaning. I feel medium on them in general.

I don't see how it would really prevent erosion that much more than conventional, people are gonna walk off the front of tees regardless and people that aren't going to observe the line rule (probably the same % that ignore Mandos) are just going to runoff past the tee anyway. I think the best solution is to have a runoff area of a different material (gravel, pavers, etc) since the grass is going to be killed there anyway.

I don't see how it would really prevent erosion that much more than conventional, people are gonna walk off the front of tees regardless and people that aren't going to observe the line rule (probably the same % that ignore Mandos) are just going to runoff past the tee anyway. I think the best solution is to have a runoff area of a different material (gravel, pavers, etc) since the grass is going to be killed there anyway.

They do work. It's been tested.

I think it's because everyone's follow through come-to-a-stop step is hard and almost in the exact same place just off the front of the tee.

Walking off the tee pad, however, we're walking gently and, by the time we get 42 inches in front of the tee line, we're going off in all directions to wherever the disc went.

I do think a different material would be better: to get more compliance from everyone. If that's in the budget.

They do work. It's been tested.

I think it's because everyone's follow through come-to-a-stop step is hard and almost in the exact same place just off the front of the tee.

Walking off the tee pad, however, we're walking gently and, by the time we get 42 inches in front of the tee line, we're going off in all directions to wherever the disc went.

I do think a different material would be better: to get more compliance from everyone. If that's in the budget.

We're walking gently around the basket when we putt too but we do a good job of killing the grass on a lot of greens as well. :\

If a solid fault line with a 5ft width, throws you off, how are you at throwing from your lie? That's a pretty big element of disc golf to hate, getting your plantfoot accurate.

I prefer standstill from the fairway for the same reason.

Re: designed foul line erosion sure.. But still going to get compacted soil from traffic unless it is a lame course. All of the pads with these still have erosion issues. Just played kenwood trails with beautiful tees like this and they still have the same problem.

Not to mention groups hoarding around the tee with bags dragging feet around etc...

How could these be confusing at all? Most sports have foul lines etc. Ugh disc golf...

We're walking gently around the basket when we putt too but we do a good job of killing the grass on a lot of greens as well. :\

We only make one throw off the tee. And we always walk to the basket and back. So, three or four times the traffic? Plus several seconds of standing in one place? Maybe that pushes it past the point of growing back.

Anyway, the main point was it has to be long enough (42 inches) to work. Of course it will not stop all erosion, especially if no one knows how to use it.

It will help more as more courses use them and players start to recognize the purpose. And it's always better than a drop off the front.

I prefer standstill from the fairway for the same reason.

What if you had 400+ to go? No run up?

I was nervous about foot faulting from my lie during my first sanctioned event, so I practiced pacing off the start and end of my x-step to land in the same spot. Now I take three large steps back, and don't even think about my marker.

I bet your plant is more consistent than you think.

What if you had 400+ to go? No run up?

I was nervous about foot faulting from my lie during my first sanctioned event, so I practiced pacing off the start and end of my x-step to land in the same spot. Now I take three large steps back, and don't even think about my marker.

I bet your plant is more consistent than you think.

I mean I will, I just prefer not to. For example, there are some people who do a short little run ups for approach shots, I would choose not to. Also, it depends on FH, BH, etc. I started playing as mainly a forehand player so the footwork for backhand still feels somewhat uncomfortable to me.

...I bet your plant is more consistent than you think.
And I bet there are a lot more FFs than most people really want to believe (they do). But this isn't a FF thread....
I can't believe that people - prior to their throwing - wouldn't ask 'what's that "line" for?'...but then again PEOPLE are involved here...and never underestimate people's ______.
I'm all for such lines on Ts. Safer and 'more precise'.

Ps: that buzzer suggestion is wonderful :cool: