• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Next Tee Sign & Bracket, Pole-Mounted

EricW

Bogey Member
Here's a drawing and parts description for a pole-mounted Next Tee Sign. Placed under the basket, the sign faces up so folk can see the way to go when they grab their disc. Hopefully not distracting when putting since it's on edge from the side.

We have alternate positions, and this seemed easier than putting a sign at every receiver (which parks wanted). The wingnut let's it loosen so you can aim it. Loctite the nut or bugger up the threads on the end to keep the whole thing from running away.

The bracket bits are about $3 per assembly, but I'd upgrade for stainless steel hardware. Some electrical or rubber tape on the inside should help it stay in place. Put on any sign or arrow you want.

Lizard Peak will have these as soon as our signs are done (we went with a chiseled stone arrow with a lizard on it, you know for style points).

Here's a PDF drawing with the part description and details. Gave McMaster-Carr part numbers but might be able to get everything from the hardware store.

Cheers

Attachments

• RDGA2014-03 NextTeeBracket render.jpg
    RDGA2014-03 NextTeeBracket render.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 139
Only a couple inches under the basket but maybe. We'll see. At the least it'll give a bad putt another excuse, and that's nearly priceless!

I like the design. Do you have an estimate on the cost?

Had a mental image, then saw the prototype drawing.

Bummer, it would become a step. Too enticing. The major thought would be that when it gets bent down to the ground, would the arrow still be useful in aiding direction.

It'll get stomped. Let me step on it as I get my disc and do a DiCaprio "King of the World" pose. Maybe that's where my imagination went since it reminds the brain of a gas pedal.

Keep thinking, planning, and reconfiguring. Short and stubby, slim and sneaky, minimize extensions open to torque. Find ways to reduce the applied lever force that could be applied. There's a rubbery next tee hub thats been out on the market. It seemed pretty sturdy and unobtrusive - I wonder how well those have sold

As others have said - nothing's indestructable but always repeat to yourself -
if its wood, they'll burn in or carve it,
if its plastic, they'll break it,
if its glass, they'll scratch or smash it
If it's light, they'll take it
If it's heavy, they'll tip it over
If it's metal, they'll scratch it or tag it

I like the thought process - keep 'em coming!

Wasnt trying to dismiss the concern. Definitely want it to be durable and last for years. Might be a good idea to flip the L bracket so the sign is on top and tighter to the basket cage. Maybe that would take it a bit more out of reach and more awkward to kick. Not worried about the bracket itself, but the sign we're using is sheet metal and could be bent (our other course's signs have been pretty resistant to bending. Spray paint and sharpies on the other hand...). Maybe put a bar under it to help support or straight up use a thicker bar or something flexible that would recoil like a heavy spring sticking out painted white. Will see how durable the signs feel when we get them. Ours will be only 6" long. Good input, more feedback welcome. We're taking the leap on them and will know in a month or two.

Cost is $3 per bracket assembly plus whatever you decide to use for the arrow. In bottom left of the pdf drawing is snap of the shopping cart for mcmaster-carr that has all the components $60 for 20.

This is the intent. Does this seem more protected and less... "gas pedal" like? :doh:

Attachments

• NextTeeLocation.png
    NextTeeLocation.png
    74.7 KB · Views: 92
This is the intent. Does this seem more protected and less... "gas pedal" like? :doh:

Much better, but maybe you could ditch the bracket, drill a couple holes in the plaque at the top, and hang it from the bottom of the basket. It would save the expense of the bracket and still be easily visible.

Jeff, Saw your idea while researching.
signpopout_nextee.png

Primarily, we didn't like that as much because it is very obvious while putting and would be a distraction to some players. Also couldn't think of an easy way to adjust it but still be at least partially theft-proof.

Eric,

Monty's been influenced by the simple basket arrows at Bud Pell at Ross Farm DGC in WA st. On this course small simple wood stock "arrows" are drilled at each end and zip tied to one of the radial basket struts. The arrows are maybe four to five inch long section of 1x2 woodstock with a pointy end. Course has two tees so two sets of arrows (red and blue) and although they are often tag teaming on the same radial since they are the same direction, some times they are not as the the two tees are not always so close together.

An improved version of this could be more hearty materials, and sturdier connecting hardware compared to zip ties that get brittle and fail from time to time in the harsh elements. however, being "cheap" materials, one has the advantage of making many spares and replacing more often more easily but relies on vigilence of monitoring and replacing, time/effort. Give n take.

I think a bunch of you are forgetting that they have MULTIPLE BASKET LOCATIONS. This makes the rotating bracket necessary, as the next tee is not always going to be in the same direction. Your design is a perfect start as far as I can tell. The players should be able to look at the arrow through the bottom of the basket after they make their putt, so making it visible from a distance is unnecessary.

If your course only has 1 basket location, the simple solution is to paint one of the spokes of the basket (ala Black Hawk in Tulsa). This acts as an arrow all on its own and doesn't add anything to the basket for people to damage or complain about.

Had a mental image, then saw the prototype drawing.

Bummer, it would become a step. Too enticing. The major thought would be that when it gets bent down to the ground, would the arrow still be useful in aiding direction.

It'll get stomped. Let me step on it as I get my disc and do a DiCaprio "King of the World" pose. Maybe that's where my imagination went since it reminds the brain of a gas pedal.

Keep thinking, planning, and reconfiguring. Short and stubby, slim and sneaky, minimize extensions open to torque. Find ways to reduce the applied lever force that could be applied. There's a rubbery next tee hub thats been out on the market. It seemed pretty sturdy and unobtrusive - I wonder how well those have sold

As others have said - nothing's indestructable but always repeat to yourself -
if its wood, they'll burn in or carve it,
if its plastic, they'll break it,
if its glass, they'll scratch or smash it
If it's light, they'll take it
If it's heavy, they'll tip it over
If it's metal, they'll scratch it or tag it

I like the thought process - keep 'em coming!

You cant step on it if it is an inch or 2 below the pan. Hes said that like 3 times.

I'm thinking now that we'll also put a simple hose clamp (cheap) under them so they can't slide down or accidentally be set lower down where they can be reached.

If your course only has 1 basket location, the simple solution is to paint one of the spokes of the basket (ala Black Hawk in Tulsa). This acts as an arrow all on its own and doesn't add anything to the basket for people to damage or complain about.

If your course has multiple baskets, why not just orient the pole sleeves on all basket locations so that the painted spoke ends up pointing in the right direction? Seems simple enough to me, as long as you take care when you're installing the sleeves.

Lewis, We have the sleeves oriented so the hole number on the top rim faces the tee pad. This conflicts with the next tee direction.

All, Here's a revised drawing with the L bracket flipped and hose clamp to keep the bracket up. And a beautiful sketch of player retrieving his disc.
RDGA2014-03 NextTeeBracket 2014-12-31 revA.pdf

Attachments

• RDGA2014-03 NextTeeBracket revA render.jpg
    RDGA2014-03 NextTeeBracket revA render.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 39
  • NextTeeLocation.png
    NextTeeLocation.png
    85.1 KB · Views: 49
A little more than 3 bucks each, but works great and with multiple pins being in any location you just spin the arrow to the proper place and lock it back in (it sits on top of the sleeve).

They have been in use at Wills Park in Alpharetta, GA (outside ATL) for over 4 years now since the course was redesigned in DEC 2010 with no issues and still look as good as new when kept clean.

http://www.whirldsports.com/technical-gear/nextee

Lewis, We have the sleeves oriented so the hole number on the top rim faces the tee pad. This conflicts with the next tee direction.

I figured you might say that. I can attest to the quality and durability of the markers Keith Johnson recommends below -- I've played Wills Park a bunch over the past few years. Click the link and give them a look. :thmbup:

A little more than 3 bucks each, but works great and with multiple pins being in any location you just spin the arrow to the proper place and lock it back in (it sits on top of the sleeve).

They have been in use at Wills Park in Alpharetta, GA (outside ATL) for over 4 years now since the course was redesigned in DEC 2010 with no issues and still look as good as new when kept clean.

http://www.whirldsports.com/technical-gear/nextee

This thread reminds me I need to buy this:

http://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-S...8&qid=1420814517&sr=8-2&keywords=split+tubing

I saw it used in Huntsville. The basket spoke pointing to the next tee was wrapped with corrugated split tubing.

This year, instead of bitching about this simple course improvement, I'm just gonna mark every basket that doesn't have a next tee sign. 100ft should cover at least 100 baskets. If they come up missing, replacing them will only take $0.10 of material at the ready in my bag.

Latest posts