• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night golf!

Speedly

Birdie Member
So, I searched on night golf, and didn't really find anything pertinent aside from UV flashlights.

I'm going night discing for the first time on Wednesday with a friend, and I'm really excited! But I've never been - are there things (other than my glow discs and a UV light) I should bring, or any special precautions I should take?

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous about the prospect of possibly getting a ticket, or getting jumped by idiot hoodlums.

Thanks!

Glow sticks on the baskets are a nice touch for glow golf. And a pair of $2000 night vision goggles are a sweet addition to the bag.

I have played quite a bit of night golf or glow golf as we call it.

There are ways to light discs and there is glow plastic of course. You can use bobber lights that turn on and off (fishing lights). Some people like to use these because they can leave them on all season and turn them on and off each time.

I prefer the led and watch battery combo. The trick is to tape the led's to the batteries then tape the combo to the disc. I use champion discs and tape them to the bottom. The best way I have found to assure that they don't come off is to tape everything up when it is warm. I use my car defroster and put the discs there rotating them for about 5 minutes. Setting them up at home is ok if you don't have far to go or aren't worried about running your batteries out. Then I use frost king tape to tape up the lights and use about a 5" piece of tape on the back of the disc. Also be sure to store your batteries so they don't touch or they will drain out. I use a small fishing tackle box that keeps everything organized.

**I am a firm believer that lights on the bottom make the discs fly more understable than I am used to. I haven't tried them on top.

Always take extra tape and a flashlight. If you use my method your lights should not come off but you might end up looking for a friends disc when the light comes off and that light will be mighty handy.

Enjoy!

glow discs and a flash light. Some guys bought the uv lights and they work pretty good. If you can splurge for the night vision I am sure that would improve things.

glow discs and a flash light. Some guys bought the uv lights and they work pretty good. If you can splurge for the night vision I am sure that would improve things.

I don't think anyone is seriously recommending buying night vision goggles for DG, but I feel like I should point out that one of the biggest drawbacks is the poor depth perception, making them almost entirely useless for golfing.

I certainly appreciate the time everyone has taken in responding to my question!, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I already have the means with which to illuminate my discs, so I'm all set there! I'm really more concerned about the safety aspect of it, particularly the part about getting hassled by some miscreants. Has anyone run into this issue, or am I just being a wuss about all that? :p

Here's the lights I recommend - Disc-Golf-Beacon Lights

As far as safety that depends on the course you will be playing. I've play a lot of night glow here in Nashville, TN and in Bowling Green, KY and never had any issues. It's actually quite peaceful and you will find that you will score better than you would think. I think it's because you are not staring down the dreaded putts as much and taking that mental part out a bit. We normally play where someone holds the flashlight for a quick peek at your shot and then they turn it off before your throw. Have fun!

I certainly appreciate the time everyone has taken in responding to my question!, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I already have the means with which to illuminate my discs, so I'm all set there! I'm really more concerned about the safety aspect of it, particularly the part about getting hassled by some miscreants. Has anyone run into this issue, or am I just being a wuss about all that? :p

Lol, I wouldn't worry about it unless you live in a really bad neighborhood.

The cops, on the other hand, are another issue entirely. There is a thread somewhere discussing some of the dicier aspects of night discing, such as police avoidance and the like.

Basically, understand that if you are breaking the law to glow golf, you should be ready to accept any consequences that result. ;)

Also, contacting your local parks department to ask permission for a glow round is usually a good starting point, and could lead to not having to worry about some of the issues you seem to be stressing over.

Edit: Here's that thread that discusses glow round safety, etc.

Last edited:
i usually bring my .22 pistol with me when i nite golf.... don't gotta WORRY bout nothing then.. LOL....dude don't think u should have much to worry bout!!!! no one will hassle you, well maybe no will... What course is sac are u going to??? is it usually an unruley course in the day time???

i usually bring my .22 pistol with me when i nite golf.... don't gott WORRY bout nothing then.. LOL dude ur being a big pussy!!!! no one will hassle you, well maybe no will... What course is sac are u going to??? is it usually an unruley course in the day time???

I didn't know you packed heat. :eek:

Now I'm glad I didn't beat you at Flip! ;)

:D

i usually bring my .22 pistol with me when i nite golf.... don't gotta WORRY bout nothing then.. LOL....dude don't think u should have much to worry bout!!!! no one will hassle you, well maybe no will... What course is sac are u going to??? is it usually an unruley course in the day time???

A .22 won't do much to deter the real scourge of night golf.... werewolves

I play glow at Druid Hill Park in Baltimore City. Ever seen the wire? The police drive by and shine their lights at us but they like us there. Yeah the neighborhood around there is rough but a group of 10-12 guys throwing glowing discs don't exactly attract attention from the neighbors. Especially during the winter. To the best of my knowledge we have never had an incident at glow. Your results may varry. Just use good judgment and play with a group.

Werewolves are always running off with my discs. They lie in wait and when they land, BLAM! Even if they are hot Native American dudes, they still irritate me!

i got one clip loaded with silver rounds just for them darn werewolves!!!!!!! i've lost more than just a disc or two to them....... and Juke i bring the "HEAT" always Son

This is Phil. He used to stalk me when I played then I started feeding him bacon and PBR. Now we're the best of friends.

Werewolves-werewolves-630758_413_585.jpg