• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Night golf!

OK so nobody has mentioned anything about HOW to play glow golf.

When I first started doing it, it was glow discs and a camera flash (FIRE IN THE HOLE) was the call before using the flash to give everyone a change to close their eyes :)

The lights on the discs or little mini glow sticks are much easier.

I learned an interesting skill though playing glow. We didn't have lights to put on the baskets, and it was a big nono to use a flashlight - as it made it harder to let your eyes acclimate to the dark making it even more impossible to see the basket. So what I learned was to get down on my knees and use the sky as a backdrop for the chain assembly. Granted this isn't possible everywhere - but you might be surprised how that skill translates to the daylight game.

only advice i have is to play on a clear and moon-light night.

makes navigation and even disc retrieval much easier.

/bonus if your local outfit has wrapped the baskets in glow tape, have someone you don't like play rabbit and run ahead and blast the pole with a uv light before tee-off at each hole.

Don't trip on things in the dark. :|

I certainly appreciate the time everyone has taken in responding to my question!, but it's not quite what I'm looking for.

I already have the means with which to illuminate my discs, so I'm all set there! I'm really more concerned about the safety aspect of it, particularly the part about getting hassled by some miscreants. Has anyone run into this issue, or am I just being a wuss about all that? :p

I dont know of any courses in the area that you should be worried about plus you will be armed with a bag of discs.

Wasn't sure which "night golf" thread to post this under, but this one had the most recent activity so it's the winner.

This is a little video I recorded last night and put together today. It shows my lighting set-up for discs and baskets when I play night rounds. I generally just use 2-3 discs. I have a Champion Aviar P & A and an Elite Z Buzzz that I use mostly. For my driver I'll use a Champion Viking or QOLF when needed.

I hope you find it interesting.

Wasn't sure which "night golf" thread to post this under, but this one had the most recent activity so it's the winner.

This is a little video I recorded last night and put together today. It shows my lighting set-up for discs and baskets when I play night rounds. I generally just use 2-3 discs. I have a Champion Aviar P & A and an Elite Z Buzzz that I use mostly. For my driver I'll use a Champion Viking or QOLF when needed.

I hope you find it interesting.

Very informative, thank you for the post. I will add a few important tweaks. The clear duct tape that you used is fine, but you only need a 3" piece...max. We use "FROST KING" weather sealing tape. This tape will not let go in cold weather, and it stretches. Ordinary "packaging tape" WILL NOT work for long because it does not stretch, and it has poor cold weather properties. Home Depot sells it in the insulation section ($8 for 100 ft)

The reason you disc was blinking was because your contacts are not secure. You need to tape a (dime sized) piece of tape to the battery terminal that does not have the tape holding it to the disc. No more blinking leds, which does not add to your confidence when throwing at night. When done playing, slide a fingernail under the led, and pull it out from the tape. Leave the small piece of tape on the battery for next use. The frost King will adhere to the battery until the battery is dead..trust me.

Leds come in several sizes. The one in your demo is a 5mm. I use 3mm. They are just as bright, but will not create such a bulge. They also slide onto CR-2025 batteries perfectly. CR-2035 batteries are a tad fat, and will bend the led contacts to far outward, and occasionally cause a short...more blinking.

DO NOT store your batteries and leds together. I guarantee the batteries will be dead upon next use. Less than 1mm separates the + and - of those button cells. I use dollar store pill organizers to separate my batteries. It's not a problem to store the leds together.

The fishing light leds are convenient, but costly. They have a very high failure rate, and are not designed to turn on and off many times. Some last, many do not.

Very informative, thank you for the post. I will add a few important tweaks. The clear duct tape that you used is fine, but you only need a 3" piece...max. We use "FROST KING" weather sealing tape. This tape will not let go in cold weather, and it stretches. Ordinary "packaging tape" WILL NOT work for long because it does not stretch, and it has poor cold weather properties. Home Depot sells it in the insulation section ($8 for 100 ft)

The reason you disc was blinking was because your contacts are not secure. You need to tape a (dime sized) piece of tape to the battery terminal that does not have the tape holding it to the disc. No more blinking leds, which does not add to your confidence when throwing at night. When done playing, slide a fingernail under the led, and pull it out from the tape. Leave the small piece of tape on the battery for next use. The frost King will adhere to the battery until the battery is dead..trust me.

Leds come in several sizes. The one in your demo is a 5mm. I use 3mm. They are just as bright, but will not create such a bulge. They also slide onto CR-2025 batteries perfectly. CR-2035 batteries are a tad fat, and will bend the led contacts to far outward, and occasionally cause a short...more blinking.

DO NOT store your batteries and leds together. I guarantee the batteries will be dead upon next use. Less than 1mm separates the + and - of those button cells. I use dollar store pill organizers to separate my batteries. It's not a problem to store the leds together.

The fishing light leds are convenient, but costly. They have a very high failure rate, and are not designed to turn on and off many times. Some last, many do not.

Thanks for the compliment and for the input. I wasn't planning on doing this video at all and just decided it to do it on a whim when I wasn't ready to come inside yet on New Year's night after playing for a while. So it was a very sloppy, unrehearsed job with the long piece of tape, etc. I had fun doing it... sitting in the dark at the picnic table. Good times!

I used the standard clear packing tape last year for night and snow golf... and what a pain. It came off so easily it was really annoying. I've had no such trouble with the duct tape.

As far as taping the one side of the LED to the battery with the dime sized piece of tape... brilliant! I'm still going to sand off the "center bumps" from the molding process, but your tape idea will make it a lot more secure.

I'll also have to check out the 3mm LEDs the next time I'm at "The Shack."

Thanks!

Nothing wrong with your video...thank you for taking the time. I have been doing glow golf for about a decade, and the "glow up"process has gone through many metamorphosis.

We started out with glow discs and flashlights or camera flashes....Pain In The A**.

The next brilliant idea was to cut open large glow sticks, dip paper into the mixture, and seal the paper between 2 pieces of Frost King tape..PITA.

Next came the fishing bobber LEDs...these worked great, but at $3.50+ per light, it was too expensive to glow up everyones discs. We quickly found out that for our weekly rounds, these leds were not very reliable. It was a problem getting them too, since everyone was buying out the entire stock at ALL local Walmarts...PITA

At the same time we were experimenting with the fishing LEDS, I came across 1.5" glow sticks. Problem was I came across el cheapos first, and thought that they were all the same...they aren't. Some glow for a day, some glow for 30 minutes. You need the brightest/best glowing sticks especially for winter play. Cold temps put the chemicals into hibernation mode. I still use these in combination with the battery method, but I had to contact many suppliers (for samples) before I was going to buy 1000 of them.

Nicely done for something on the fly. I was hoping for more cat!

Besides the step of separately taping the LED to the battery as noted above, I also add taping the LED/Battery combo to the disc with a loop of tape. Over that put your long piece(s) for additional security. Just an inch and a half extra tape for a far more solid connection.

I also bend the leads on my LEDs into little L shapes, seems to give better contact in the long run, no blinking or (heaven forbid) power outages. Gotta love that Radio Shack 20 pack for affordability...

Joe

Nicely done for something on the fly. I was hoping for more cat!/QUOTE]

Charlie, the cat, just jumped up on the picnic table for a second and took off. Otherwise, he would have made his youtube debut. :p He follows me around all of the time in the woods and sometimes scares the crap out of me when I'm not expecting to hear a big ol' rustling of the leaves, etc.

Nicely done for something on the fly. I was hoping for more cat! Joe

You asked for it, you got it. Here's Charlie, the insane attack cat... very much like Hobbs, only more mean and less clever. :p Here his is in basket #3 on my home course the day I finished the basket.

picture.php

He looks tired.

I like the basket design. I wouldn't have to hear the clank of my (typically) low putts.

I don't think anyone is seriously recommending buying night vision goggles for DG, but I feel like I should point out that one of the biggest drawbacks is the poor depth perception, making them almost entirely useless for golfing.

Ya, I know it was not a serious suggestion, but my sarcasm button on my computer was broken so I guess I should have put it in italics, but thanks for the depth perception bit

Sorry for the late reply.

Latest posts