• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] NIGHT SHIFT?

The "night shift" refers to the color of blue they are. These discs ARE the discs Innova is testing their new stabilizing process on, which is probably some controlled drying method. They should be more overstable than a regular run if it all works out.

The actual "night shift" discs were some discs where the night shift at Innova experimented with plastic mixtures a few year ago and produced some sweet Orcs. The fact that Innova is now using the term "night shift" to refer to these new extra-stable discs is just going to confuse folks, but oh well.

Thanks for the info. So will Innova keep the regular Star plastic or move to the Night Shift all together? I saw a picture of the Night Shift Orc with the DX design on it. Looks sweet

The "night shift" refers to the color of blue they are. These discs ARE the discs Innova is testing their new stabilizing process on, which is probably some controlled drying method. They should be more overstable than a regular run if it all works out.

The actual "night shift" discs were some discs where the night shift at Innova experimented with plastic mixtures a few year ago and produced some sweet Orcs. The fact that Innova is now using the term "night shift" to refer to these new extra-stable discs is just going to confuse folks, but oh well.

where did you find out this info?

It's in my head, man. The night shift Orcs of '05 or '06 were the prototype Star plastic discs. A lot of them were stamped for the 06 Tulsa Am Worlds, so you will also hear them referred to as "Tulsa Orcs." These new "night shift" discs are a new stabilizing process that Innova announced they were trying a few months ago. So far they have run Destroyers, Boss and Orcs. The decision to make a more stable Orc baffles me...have you ever heard of a Starfire?

Three Putt leaves me in a constant state of amazement. Thanks for all the great stuff bro.

Night Shift???

The knowledge you guys bring to this site is what makes it so great.

Night Shift, I saw the post and thought it was about the poor play I exhibit after a 12 hour shift ends at 6am. Does anyone else play in the morning after a night shift? I'm usually good for 18 holes, after that I'm dragging. I go back to days this month thank goodness!

Night Shift, I saw the post and thought it was about the poor play I exhibit after a 12 hour shift ends at 6am. Does anyone else play in the morning after a night shift? I'm usually good for 18 holes, after that I'm dragging. I go back to days this month thank goodness!

I did this once or twice when I was on nights. I also only got one round in while doing this. I started to go home and get 2-3 hours of sleep then go to the course and play until it was time to get ready that night. If I didn't go to the course I was in the back yard throwing at my portable basket.

It's in my head, man. The night shift Orcs of '05 or '06 were the prototype Star plastic discs. A lot of them were stamped for the 06 Tulsa Am Worlds, so you will also hear them referred to as "Tulsa Orcs." These new "night shift" discs are a new stabilizing process that Innova announced they were trying a few months ago. So far they have run Destroyers, Boss and Orcs. The decision to make a more stable Orc baffles me...have you ever heard of a Starfire?

Yeah, I've got one of these and it is a little more stable than what you would expect from a highly used star orc.

where did you find out this info?

on the PDGA forums, ask dave dunnipace from Innova thread...
That is a good place to get info on Innova discs. If you are a member you can ask him questions directly. It's really the only redeeming feature of the PDGA message board at this point.

I think I got the information on the new "night shift" discs from talking to a friend and looking up the listings on disc golf values. The info on the original night shift Orcs is just something I know...no telling where I originally got the information. Probably from some dude who went to Tulsa Worlds and came home with one.

Anyway, the info is around. If you look around the Internet you can find it. If you don't feel like wasting a lot of time searching on the Internet, you can just post a question here and wait for me to spill my guts. I sold discs for a parks department with a course for a few years, so some of this stuff is easy for me to remember.

Last edited:

i get the "privlage" of working 9pm to 6am for the next 3 days and i have never tried discing right after....try everything once!! looks like i get my chance lol :D

Theres a good nude bar in baltimore called night shift. Thats what I thought this was about.

workin' on the night shift

Originally Posted by AviarX

Nightshift Orcs were the precursor to Star plastic. The nightshift at Innova came up with it while making Champion or Pro Orcs. The distinguishing characteristics (I think) were they were opaque and tacky/grippier than Champion. According to legend, the Nightshift Orcs were especially stable and durable and attained some of the allure & mystique of old school CE plastic. They were definitely found desirably different by many Orc lovers.

later, Tulsa hosted Amateur Worlds and Innova made Special Blend Orcs as a fundraiser. Kevin McCoy might have had a hand in this? The Tulsa SB Orcs were opaque and pretty much second generation nightshift Orcs. Speaking from personal experience, they were fabulous (durable, stable, etc.). I believe it was the plastic itself which distinguished them. Grippy and long like Pro but durable as any Champion. I have never thrown a first generation nightshift Orc, but the Tulsa ones are good enough for me.

Innova subsequently released 'Star' plastic after the Special Blend Tulsa Orcs. I would call Star plastic third generation nightshift

http://www.pdga.com/discussion/showthread.php?p=1408653

Latest posts