• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Excuses Disc Golf: Dispelling the Mystery

throwfromthewoods

Double Eagle Member
Out of all the companies that make bags, No Excuses seems to be one of the most…mysterious? Unknown? Frustratingly uninformed? However you perceive them, or if you've never heard of them at all, I wanted to open this thread and share some experiences and viewpoints that I've had in dealing with them.

The first part of this thread is going to be purely who No Excuses are and what it is they do. My backpack is currently being made and once it hits my door I'll be happy to post pictures, reviews, and course evaluations.

A lot of people know the general concept behind No Excuses. They make custom bags. That comes with some pros and cons. Whether their business is right for your money is something you'll have to decide on your own. They do have a few standard bag builds. If you go with one of those, you get to choose two colors and it will run you about the same as a Grip or a Mahal. Then you get to decide what kind of customization you want. That can range from embroidery to patches to extra pockets/storage. The biggest unknown people seem to have on these forums is what those options do to the price. I can't quote you prices, but I can say from experience adding stuff won't skyrocket your bag up to $500.00. It all depends on what you want and if you think it's worth it.

One of the unique benefits of having a No Excuses bag is David's Pill Pocket design. It's a bottle holder, storage pocket, and mini/pencil pocket all in one. The pocket is actually built around a bottle holder, similar to how the large Prodiscus backpack operates. He also builds the putter pocket to the depth you want, which is cool. If you like 3-putter pockets you can have one, 2 putter pockets, he even told me he could measure it for 2 or 3 drivers if you like having go-to drivers in a putter pocket.

Every bag is built by hand. That's going to be a pro or a con depending on your viewpoint. The bottom line is, it's going to take time. 4-6 weeks is an average turnaround time for a backpack to get built. That being said, they are very involved in the process. I had a long phone conversation with David regarding exactly what I wanted. He seemed very dedicated to getting everything down. A couple of years ago, I think his focus on this side of the business was a bit lacking. I know of a couple people who had some less than ideal experiences with not quite getting what they asked for. At least in my experience, I can say he's kept in touch with me each step to make sure it's all done and nothing is forgotten. Of course, the final word on that will be once I get the backpack.

They also don't have a website. All his business is word of mouth and Facebook. I believe No Excuses shies away from the website route because websites are for retail. If you go onto the Grip website, or the Voodoo website, you click on what bag you want and select "BUY." And that's not how No Excuses runs. They seem to be satisfied with their Facebook traffic and the business they pull in. I only mention this because some people had expressed wariness about a company that only operates off Facebook. I haven't had any issues or concerns with this.

They're definitely a niche option. I've built a dozen or so DIY bags and enjoyed them all. And I got away from paying the premium for a Grip or a Contender because they weren't quite designed for how I play and what I need. So I made the decision that I had saved enough going the DIY route and selling them to justify undertaking this project. So far, I'm pleased with the process. I'm looking forward to owning a backpack that is uniquely mine. You'll have to decide if it's a route you'd be interested in going. I'm not trying to actively promote No Excuses. I'm not trying to funnel business their way. I'm just sharing my experience because they don't have a voice on here. And I think they are a unique enough operation to warrant solid information being out there.

A small aside: David liked the direction I was looking to take with my bag. I didn't quite reinvent anything he already does. I just re-organized some features to create a new version. He's decided to make it into a new base model. It's been named the Game Changer. It's going to be sleeker and focused more on disc selection and convenience than carrying around the kitchen sink. Once it's been finalized, it can be ordered as a regular base model with the 2-color option for a base price. And you can still customize it how you want. I don't want to get into just describing the features/organization here. I'd like to wait until I can illustrate everything with the actual bag. And then I can also speak to the quality of the bag as well.

http://noexcusesdiscgolf.wordpress.com

They do have a website, and there wouldn't be a mystery to dispel if their site had some basic information.

In other words: they should take a serious look at updating their site. Some really basic additions and changes could do a world of good.

Or they should take it down and just point the thing at their Facebook page - but a Facebook page is a LOUSY stand-in for a basic site.

Last edited:
Dang, tough crowd. I like the idea of custom bags made to customer specs, but I do feel like they should utilize their website. Maybe that's cause I refuse to use Facebook. just my opinion. If its working for them then great bit I think the website makes a whole lot more sense.

I agree that putting all their effort into Facebook is leaving a lot of business on the table. Majority of my male friends avoid Facebook as much as possible.

Website might bring in more traffic than he can handle. Seems like this isn't a full time job, but rather an extra source of cash flow. Just a thought though. Kool idea though.

Not an excuse, but I will say from dealing with him, English is not his first language. Some of our text conversations take some translating. I won't deny his business presentation could take some work. But I also think he's happy enough with his current volume. He did say he wouldn't turn away more, lol

For those that don't have Facebook, here's a few pics of some bags they've made recently. The first couple are the same bag.

Attachments

• 547366_701491456543902_1021516534_n.jpg
    547366_701491456543902_1021516534_n.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 355
  • 1013257_701491213210593_904335501_n.jpg
    1013257_701491213210593_904335501_n.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 340
  • 558893_558205114205871_229491467_n.jpg
    558893_558205114205871_229491467_n.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 335
A bag made from Louis Vitton (spelling?) leather, lol. And you can see in the 3rd bag he'll even orient the main opening how you prefer it. Regular U, inverted U, or take the flap all the way to the top of the bag like the middle pic.

Attachments

• 1045068_488948851180647_2062702131_n.jpg
    1045068_488948851180647_2062702131_n.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 329
  • 181414_471206292954903_959005043_n.jpg
    181414_471206292954903_959005043_n.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 354
  • 511_686921064667608_1566025671_n.jpg
    511_686921064667608_1566025671_n.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 407
I'd really like to see the inside of the side pockets... I don't suppose you could describe them? Is this backpack your design? I saw he gave you credit, but it might have been for the logo

I'd really like to see the inside of the side pockets... I don't suppose you could describe them? Is this backpack your design? I saw he gave you credit, but it might have been for the logo

Just the logo on the fallen soldier bag. There are two more bags to be finished and then mine is up. Once I get my hands on it, I'll be taking detailed pics of everything.

DEAR LORD someone tell him to put some of these pics up on his actual website. the bags on the site look worse than a fanny pack from walmart. I would have actually considered a bag from him had I seen the above pics on the website.

These bags look pretty tremendous. I just don't know that I could ever settle on what I would want! Looking forward to your report...

I tired to buy a bag from him. I emailed multiple times about the interest and got very few and vague emails back. Once we settled on a color he said he would draw a design up and get it to me. Im still waiting(almost 7-8 weeks now). I decided to go with a GB bag and the decideing factor was the responses. They make very nice looking stuff but need to work on communication. Just a simple email saying I am working on the design/ business is kicking my butt or something to that effect would have been great. The price for the pill bag I wanted was actually going to be more than a the kong I ordered from GB. 160ish if I remeber correctly

Let's say you wanted the blue and yellow backpack without all the patches and embroidery. That would cost $250. I changed everything around, added some logos, and I added a full Hyrule Shield from Zelda on the back of mine and came in at $325.

Still a higher premium than most other bag options, especially if you really want it to be unique. So it's obviously not for everyone. And again, I'll be the first to admit the PR side could use some...polish. But he's just finished bag #100 and he has orders into October that I know of. So it's definitely an investment.

I seen the pink caddy bag in personal last weekend
Nice looking bag, but I didn't get too close,so I can't say for sure

Latest posts