• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

No Kidding - That really helps?!?

hendersondayton

Eagle Member
I realized yesterday that one big issue with my drives was in how I plant my pivot foot. For Right Handed throwers, that would be your RIGHT foot that gets planted at the end of the Pad just as you rip threw and rotate your LEFT foot around.

I had a tendency often to pull discs right pretty significantly. It was made worse when I was leaning backwards trying to throw a big anny. I always thought I was not pulling down the line as much as around my body. I actually had someone watch me. A good player locally. He said my pull thru was great..good form. The issue was...the way i planted my pivot foot.

Instead of planting my foot perpendicular to my target line (parallel with the front of the Tee Pad) like most good players do, I would plant it with my toe pointing towards my target line...this would open my hips up before I threw and essentially shift my entire body line right. I opened up my entire body with that one motion.

Yesterday I experimented with actually planting my foot parallel with the front of the pad and rotating on the heel of my foot.

I found that not only was I keeping the disc straighter, but I was also getting a little more distance. Apparently, opening up your body like that takes all the "torque" or "windup" energy away as now your upper body has nothing left to really rotate.

Went from throwing my drives around 300-320 right of target or way right to 360-380 and they started a little left of center and S curved nicely! Anytime you can throw accurately and increase your distance potential 60 feet I would say it is a good discovery.

:rolleyes:
37701946.jpg

I'll have to try that but yes its something Ive noticed as well. with me its how I plant and pivot. If I miss and plant and pivot on my toe the disc gores nose up. If I get it right and hit my heel and get a good pivot on it the disc will stay low and fly right.

I have just been working a runup into my throws though and I think I'm planting straight at the target line like you were and I'm spraying all over the place. I'll have to try the perpendicular placement, I think the pivot will be easier to hit as well that way.

It's funny that you mention this; i saw a distance video and the pro had one guy walk backward, then turn to throw. i tried that and instantly found a distance improvement, but my accuracy was way off. i tried to figure out why it was such a huge difference, and . . .

sure enough, same thing as you, OP. i'm a bit of a duckwalker, so my foot isn't perpendicular to my target. hips open, there goes all the torsion, and then i throw more with my arm and shoulder. my throws were consistent, but short. 300, max.

i was working on it this evening, and it's actually very hard for me to do without walking backward or just walking. when i run up, i don't feel the twist or the weight transfer. slow and steady, i guess, right? amazing how much of a difference one little foot makes.

I've added 50 feet the last couple months to my backhand. I started with a stand still and my back facing the target focusing on keeping my pull through as close to the body as possible. I have slowly added a small run up but really focus on closing my hips. I was amazed not just at the increased distance but the cleanliness of the line. The disc just came out so smooth, no wobble. I've had my first few 400' drives in the field recently. Now to do that on the course.