• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Nockamixon is better than your favorite course

I love Nockyourdixin. It has been my favorite course since the Worlds was there in PA. It's punitive and fair at the same time. It's beautiful and brutal. I love the variety of shots it made me take. It's pleasing yet can leave you shaking your head. It's an enigma wrapped up in a riddle. It was like a Dickens novel. I loved every confounding minute of that place. I can't wait to get back there for another round.

...It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....:thmbup:,:thmbdown: -Dickens

Nocky is a sick course for sure. When I played it with Opti it was pouring rain and I loved it despite the slick rocky fairway shots. Definitely a great course. But Milo McIver in the world's configuration is in my mind a notch or two better. And I'm not alone in liking it more. All of the top pros list it as their all time favorite course not only for competition, but for casual play as well. There's a reason that the BSF sells out so quickly every year and that there's no NTs at Nocky.

My two gripes with Milo are:
- there are no long wooded holes
- there is very little uphill

Most of the east coast wood monsters have both of these features. (Another more minor complaint would be too many islands holes.)

And while I think Nocki is better than the average 4.5 rated course, I think Quaker Challenge is an even more underrated ECWM.

Just played Idlewild today and I have to say Nocky is WAAAAAAAYYYY better. I can't believe idlewild is a top 10 course

Just played Idlewild today and I have to say Nocky is WAAAAAAAYYYY better. I can't believe idlewild is a top 10 course
I have them rated pretty much equal. Nockamixon is way underrated IMO, but I don't think it's really any better than Idlewild. My personal 5, 6, and 7 are Nocky, Idlewild and Warwick, but really they could be any order depending on the day.

I disagree but I know how subjective this all can be. I thought Idlewild had way more gimmicky ob, overgrown, plinko fairways and just weird layup par 5's. I was just not a fan at all. I don't think I'd even put it in my personal top 10.

super glad I've played nocky so I don't have to try to watch that video~~~~~I appreciate the effort, but my eyes can't take it.

Now that the Ridge has 3 color coordinated baskets to go with the 3 Orange, Red, and Black tees.... maybe this thread is lying? :popcorn:

part of whats great about Nocky is that it does not have short tees

It caters to players of higher ability only

so its rarely busy

so its rarely busy

I find that a plus too....and it might well be a reason why it is rated lower by some/many

Now that the Ridge has 3 color coordinated baskets to go with the 3 Orange, Red, and Black tees.... maybe this thread is lying? :popcorn:

so its rarely busy

In my opinion, both are true. The Ridge is in an underserved area, there aren't beginner friendly courses around so it's great that it offers options for players of different skill levels (though I personally think the shorts are not nearly as well designed as the longer tees). Nocky has other options not too far away for lower skilled players, so it's great that it's able to cater specifically to a higher skill level. It's not just a simple binary question of which is better, you have to look at the local scene and other courses available.

I find that a plus too....and it might well be a reason why it is rated lower by some/many
But Idlewild is basically single tees as well, but concrete. I think Nocky took a lot of rating hits for it's tee types especially the older ones.

My opinion is that people need to respect other's opinions. A lot of people seem to despise those that 5 star a course. I 5 starred the only course I reviewed. I reviewed it because I love it so much. No it isn't on a mountainside. It is in bo-dunk Illinois. But I love it and I explained word for word my reasons for 5 stars. Still thumbs down all day long for my blasphemes opinions... What I realized? So what...I am entitled to love a course, even if others don't. I am not a machine, I am a human.

My guess is that you are getting thumbs down because of your low courses played count. Right or wrong, I tend to give weight to people's opinion when they have played a boatload of courses.

My opinion is that people need to respect other's opinions. A lot of people seem to despise those that 5 star a course. I 5 starred the only course I reviewed. I reviewed it because I love it so much. No it isn't on a mountainside. It is in bo-dunk Illinois. But I love it and I explained word for word my reasons for 5 stars. Still thumbs down all day long for my blasphemes opinions... What I realized? So what...I am entitled to love a course, even if others don't. I am not a machine, I am a human.

Just like you're entitled to your opinion, others are entitled to theirs. You're absolutely free to share yours in the form of a review, but other people are free to share theirs by voting up or down. That doesn't mean anybody is saying you're not allowed to love that course, just that they didn't find what you wrote helpful overall.

I attended the 'Sexy-Beast' 3 disc challenge last night in San Francisco, and someone asked Paul and Nate what their favorite course was. Nate's is Milo in the BSF layout. Paul's was some finnish course nicknamed 'the beast'. So, just keeping things open in terms of which course is on the favorite list of top players...

Latest posts