• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

non-tournament player playing during tournament

chevis

flick it
Silver level trusted reviewer
any thoughts about playing a round when a tournament is happening?

i have made plans to be in billings this saturday, but found there is a tournament at diamond x. not sure when i'll be through there again, so i really want to play the course. going to try to get in during their lunch, but 1hr unlikely enough.
no rule against it
"hey, can i play through real quick?"
"we're playing a tournament here. go somewhere else."

If the park isn't closed or the course reserved they may not be able to kick you off, but I wouldn't count on the players letting you play through.

I used to try and play the same course that hosted a league but I couldn't make it for the start, and I seldom got to play through and was constantly being made feel unwelcome.

Wouldn't try it these days as crowded as courses are even in non-event times.

i have made plans to be in billings this saturday, but found there is a tournament at diamond x. not sure when i'll be through there again, so i really want to play the course. going to try to get in during their lunch, but 1hr unlikely enough.
no rule against it

IMHO, it's pretty rude and it astonishes me that it happens in our sport.

Would you play 21 during a basketball game thrown by the parks?
Would you play catch in the outfield during a softball game?
Would you kick field goals during a football game?
Would you putt on a green during a golf tournament?

For public courses that aren't closed during the event then the parK is just as much yours as it is theirs. Keep in mind the tourney players wont' go out of their way to let you play thru and would be more of a headache than anything. I would avoid at all cost. Private courses i would think would be closed for all events.

I bagged a course during a lunch break at a tournament once. They were all really cool about it. We played up until the start of the next round, and then just kept pace with the group ahead of us.

It should be noted though that the course wasn't full for this tournament, so finding ourselves in an empty spot and keeping pace with the group ahead was pretty easy. Might not be the same for a full field. Good luck.

. going to try to get in during their lunch, but 1hr unlikely enough.

Ask the TD how they will be starting the 'after lunch' round. Will it be tee times or shotgun? If it is tee time, you shouldn't have an issue as the players would be following you. A shotgun start would be an issue as you would be playing on a hole where tournament players are trying to play.

Anyways....talk to the TD. Let the TD know what you want to do and why. I'd bet they would be willing to work with you....maybe even let you know when the last card finishes (shotgun) or tees off (tee times) so you could get started. Ask if the TD has any concerns with you playing the course between rounds. For example, alternate baskets are taped up so they don't get used...don't use them. "This" (some feature) is set up for the tournament, please don't disturb it.

no rule against it

I'd highly suggest not doing so. Figure out a way to play another course, or at a time when players aren't on the course. It seems like a shotgun start, so if you think you absolutely need to play despite everyone's advice here, get there 30 minutes before the round ends, warm up, and be on the first tee as soon as the group finishes on that hole. get off the course before the 2 minute warning.

Although I've successfully played a couple of casual rounds during a tournament, I try to avoid doing so like the plague.

Honestly, it comes down to whether (or not) the event has locked up exclusive rights for the course that day. Assuming they have haven't, it can be done, but it can be a delicate, slow, and tedious situation.

If you decide to give it a go, expect to get the stinkeye a few times.

IMHO, it's pretty rude and it astonishes me that it happens in our sport.

Would you play 21 during a basketball game thrown by the parks?
Would you play catch in the outfield during a softball game?
Would you kick field goals during a football game?
Would you putt on a green during a golf tournament?

He makes some great points. If WE don't respect our game, asking pedestrians and dog walkers to, seems rather disingenuous.

Last edited:
Just.....don't.

Well, ask the TD about the schedule and pace. Perhaps there'll be a chance. There will probably be more available time after the final round, than at lunch, but you never know.

Otherwise, expect to be unwelcome, and for the tournament players not to let you play through (which just backs things up). And even if you don't play through, your presence, like a ghost card, slows down everyone, and you'll be playing a 3-4 hour solo round.

I used to advise players walking up on tournament days that they'd be much happier going elsewhere, than trying to force their way in.

I would make every effort to make you feel welcome, if the course is not closed to casual play. You indeed have the same right to be there. I will not let you play through. I would be irritated, if I thought you were and experienced player, and even asked. I would politely explain that there is a tournament and the pace of play was likely to be very slow. I would invite you to play in front or back of our group.

I have told this story before, but it is appropriate here. I was out at Stafford Lakes in Northern California many years ago. Me, my wife and a buddy. Before the days of DGCR or DGS. We rolled up to the course early and climbed to the first hole toward tee off time of a big tournament. We were heartbroken that we could not play. The guys on the first tee were very friendly, chatting with us for a while. They found out we were in town for a few days, playing a bunch of courses from Detroit. They decided to send us out in front of them. Again, telling us it would be slow. They ended up partying with us, chatting at every hole. Invited us to the halftime provided lunch and local Anderson Valley beer. Shout out to the UFO's. Turned a sad moment into a memorable event for us.

I simply would not go, knowing that there was an event.

i have seen a round fit in during lunch a few times in tournaments i've played in; all by single players who appear to know the course.

I can imagine the feeling of knowing this may be your only chance to play the course and would also make every effort possible to play if I were in your shoes. I personally would aim to be there at 6am and be done by 8am, assuming the course isnt closed. If time runs short in the morning play front nine - pre tourney , back nine post tourney. I would not leave it to chance that I would get time post tourney. I would also vote for not trying to integrate with the tourney play under any circumstances to avoid being/feeling in-the-way the whole round.

If the park isn't closed, go for it. I've let casuals play through plenty of times during a tournament. It's already a slow pace.....lol..

We had a group come up once to play the course while a tournament was happening, we couldn't say no but we did explain completely how long it would take them and could they please be quiet while they play (they had kids) and that no one would let them play thru because it's a tournament, etc, etc.

After 1-1/2 holes they believed us and left.

We had a group come up once to play the course while a tournament was happening, we couldn't say no but we did explain completely how long it would take them and could they please be quiet while they play (they had kids) and that no one would let them play thru because it's a tournament, etc, etc.

After 1-1/2 holes they believed us and left.

Yeah- that is a fairly common scenario... because us old TD guys must look untrustworthy as hell. ;)

I had violence threatened on me once but he recanted when I encouraged it.

Latest posts