• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

non-tournament player playing during tournament

And you're happy when casuals work into them?

And you're happy when casuals work into them?

Happy? No. But I'm also not that happy when I show up and a course is full and there's a line of people waiting to tee off when it's NOT a tournament because it's going to be a pretty slow round...that doesn't mean I think all those people need to go home just to make me "happy".

There are plenty of things in life that don't necessarily make me "happy"...that doesn't mean I expect people around me to change.

If I'm playing a casual round and show up to see a tournament going, that doesn't make me happy...I don't tell them all to go home though.

Playing basketball on the same court while someone else is trying to play basketball actually STOPS the other group from playing basketball in a normal way. Playing disc golf on the same course that someone else is playing disc golf does not stop them from playing disc golf in a normal way.

Most disc golf is happening in an environment where there are other people on the course playing holes that are not part of your group you're playing with/against. There's nothing magical about saying "I'm playing with 100 people today, that means nobody else is allowed to use the facility".

Sure it does if the course is full of tournament players. Anyone who thinks they have the right to play even though the course is full for a tourney, really needs to reevaluate themselves as a person.

Sure it does if the course is full of tournament players. Anyone who thinks they have the right to play even though the course is full for a tourney, really needs to reevaluate themselves as a person.

Yeah, this is serious and those types need...uh...what he said, reevaluate, yeah, that's it. Only completely terrible people would do that... :rolleyes:

Right, people who think that public spaces should be shared by the public are definitely the problem, as opposed to people who think public spaces should be for their exclusive use anytime they say so.

Yeah, this is serious and those types need...uh...what he said, reevaluate, yeah, that's it. Only completely terrible people would do that... :rolleyes:

Oldmanballcon's lame trolling style of 'ignorance on display' on full display with that post. Should garner some attention.

I always let casuals play thru during a tourney round when it comes up(and especially if its an obvious group of "chuckers") because i would rather not have a non tourney player throwing behind me. Usually I will try to find a place where we let them tee off with us and then finish the hole.

Oldmanballcon's lame trolling style of 'ignorance on display' on full display with that post. Should garner some attention.

I'm not oldmandiscer. Someone should be able to see that our IP's are clearly different. You guys have been displaying ignorance about that for a long time now.

If a course is completely full for a tourney, outside players single or not, aren't welcome on it, and never should even consider it. There is simply no possible way a single player would not be a complete nuisance on a full tourney course. So then it comes down to individual rights vs the rights of 100 people. If someone's rights need to be put on hold, it will and always will be the single guy. Offending 1 person is way better in the scale of things then offending 100 people, so not letting the single play is a much better outcome for society as a whole. It totally selfish and self absorbed to think otherwise, but unfortunately people certainly do think that way. That said, If it's not full, I don't know anyone or any group who would not make concessions for outside players. Usually an agreement of some sort can be come to if both sides are reasonable, which they always aren't.

So then it comes down to individual rights vs the rights of 100 people. If someone's rights need to be put on hold, it will and always will be the single guy.

There is no "rights" of an individual vs 100 people. They have the same rights, to use public spaces. Those rights exist together. Thankfully, most people aren't Karens who think they should have more rights than others just because they're whinier about it.

Are you of the opinion that if 100 random people show up at your house and say "we want this house, it belongs to us now" that your correct course of action is to give it to them because...well, they're 100 and you're only 1? 100 don't get to remove one person's rights just because they feel like it.

If you start on the lower 9 by 7:30 you will be done and out of the way of the tournament by the time they start. Noone will start on the upper holes because it is too far to walk. Find out from the TD which upper 9 will be played the first round and play that one when you get up top. Skip hole 18 and walk back to the other upper 9 and play that last. Its pretty hard to navigate Diamond X without a guide the first time you go there. Maybe try the Billings disc golf FB page and try to find someone to show you around.

Here ya go, veteran local shares mellow knowledge. (Which in my experience is how it usually goes down, if you need to attempt something like this. Be a nice guy, sharing a good story, and doing everything you need to do, to make it work; and many disc golfers are still willing to work with a person.)

Great thread because it showcases (without any political or ideological overtones) how people can approach problems in very different ways.

I would never try to crash the party when a tournament was ongoing. On the other hand I wouldn't tar and feather someone who wanted to try to find a seam.

What I would object to in either case is rude behavior by some clown whose emotional maturation stopped in the 8th grade.

Down in the Hocking Hills there are some amazing caves and giant rock formations. There are several different areas to explore and the region is a fairly popular tourist destination. These are public spaces. Sometimes, people will have weddings without permits in some of the popular areas. People don't wander into those weddings because it's common courtesy. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Kind of similar. Tonight at the mini, our card started on 15. After we finished 18, we were moving to 1. Two dudes came straight from their cars to 1st teepad. They weren't running but they were obviously hurrying to get there before us. We arrived at virtually the same time. They take the box then fart around for a couple of minutes deciding which basket to play, picking out their disc etc.

I get why they wanted to get in front of us, but when they did, they were dragging ass. After they finally tee off, they took plenty of time getting to their shank drive and playing it. Thought they were kind of dickish.

Later on we had another pair hole hopping. They were on 8 as we finished 9, then they ran back to 10 were we had to wait for them to clear. Just more dickish behavior.

Kind of similar. Tonight at the mini, our card started on 15. After we finished 18, we were moving to 1. Two dudes came straight from their cars to 1st teepad. They weren't running but they were obviously hurrying to get there before us. We arrived at virtually the same time. They take the box then fart around for a couple of minutes deciding which basket to play, picking out their disc etc.

I get why they wanted to get in front of us, but when they did, they were dragging ass. After they finally tee off, they took plenty of time getting to their shank drive and playing it. Thought they were kind of dickish.

Later on we had another pair hole hopping. They were on 8 as we finished 9, then they ran back to 10 were we had to wait for them to clear. Just more dickish behavior.

Not defending that in any way, but leagues are really becoming my bane.

In past years, we basically had some kind of league every night, but you knew what course, so you could avoid it. Now, with pre-registration and leagues sometimes filling up a week in advance, you have all these people starting their own events, and impromptu overfill leagues popping up almost daily. And it is getting really tough to get a round in during the week.

58hdk8.jpg

There is no "rights" of an individual vs 100 people. They have the same rights, to use public spaces. Those rights exist together. Thankfully, most people aren't Karens who think they should have more rights than others just because they're whinier about it.

Are you of the opinion that if 100 random people show up at your house and say "we want this house, it belongs to us now" that your correct course of action is to give it to them because...well, they're 100 and you're only 1? 100 don't get to remove one person's rights just because they feel like it.

That is not correct in reality and you know it. Are you Rambo by any chance?

Something else to consider is that people who don't play in tournaments or leagues may not even realize that something organized is going on. Its not like disc golfers wear uniforms.

Another thought is, what level of "organization" imbues an event with specialness? If ten members of a small club show up for their annual championship should everyone else leave?

Above, someone mentioned weddings in a park area, well weddings are rather easy to recognize, likewise a family group gathered in a national/state/city park to roast hotdogs. But in those cases that doesn't make the entire park or picnic area off limits to other people. You don't wander up and help yourself to someone's potato salad but you do find an empty table and chow down on what you brought.

And what if two different groups show up the same morning at the same park to play? Would that cause some type of chain reaction that requires a meeting of the high council?

So again, while out of simple courtesy I would never crash an organized event, I don't think its a cut and dried one size fits all issue.

Latest posts